C43 Steering extremely light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Well said.

I just find it funny that "real" AMG guys get so upset about it. They think that their car's are built on some distant planet with super advanced alien technology that us mere mortals couldn't possibly understand.

No, your car is just like any other MB except for a few badges, better suspension, wider fenders in some cases, and it's tuned for more power. The new "AMG Sport" models have all of that.

The whole "One man, one engine" doesn't really mean much. Sounds cool and all but it's more of a gimmick than people want to admit.

Ha, yes, they are basically all just C Class's with different equipment and cosmetic changes..... Now the AMG-GT.... that's a real AMG !!!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None
OP: Back in the day (maybe currently, I don't keep up like I used to), A4 guys used to hate the electric steering for the same reason. Just too light when driving spiritedly. So what they did was figure out what component under the dash gave the [at the time] new electric steering its power. So people ran a bypass switch on it. Allowed them to have full power in daily driving duties. Then 100% non assisted for the times when you wanted it. Electrical is not my forte, so I'm not sure if the C class is the same, but something to look into..

And you do know they make AWD BMW's right?
I remember those days, i did it on mine; pull the relay on panel.

To OP, like some said tires makes a big difference. Remember under normal driving that is the only part of the car that touches the ground

Last edited by Bloodstar57; 01-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Well said.

I just find it funny that "real" AMG guys get so upset about it. They think that their car's are built on some distant planet with super advanced alien technology that us mere mortals couldn't possibly understand.

No, your car is just like any other MB except for a few badges, better suspension, wider fenders in some cases, and it's tuned for more power. The new "AMG Sport" models have all of that.

The whole "One man, one engine" doesn't really mean much. Sounds cool and all but it's more of a gimmick than people want to admit.
Except in the case of the c63 it isn't really a gimmick. The one engine is a m177. Essentially the same motor used in the amg gt. Which apparently is a true amg car. Amg started as a motor performance company. So the motor is what's important to the amg. As always in this argument all of the c43 guys get butt hurt and have to argue why their cars are amg
Old 01-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
+1 C63!! One man, one engine=true AMG. To be honest I don't think us C63 owners would care all that much if all the C43 owners didn't try so damn hard to claim they have a true AMG. I swear half the owners claim that the C43 is basically a C63 but AWD. Especially everyone who jumped in on the 4.1 0-60.

As I like to keep my posts on topic most of the time! I would suggest if you want a real driving experience go buy yourself a toy. I have a 2003 540 and a 1997 3 series with a turbo (as soon as I work out the last little bugs) that I have to drive to get that old car feeling. You could go spend 2000 on an old 328is and drive it into the ground. With most new cars that feeling is going away and the best way around is to just get an old car for fun driving.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:19 PM

None
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Except in the case of the c63 it isn't really a gimmick. The one engine is a m177. Essentially the same motor used in the amg gt. Which apparently is a true amg car. Amg started as a motor performance company. So the motor is what's important to the amg. As always in this argument all of the c43 guys get butt hurt and have to argue why their cars are amg
Maybe status symbols is behind it all?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Souriall91
+1 C63!! One man, one engine=true AMG. To be honest I don't think us C63 owners would care all that much if all the C43 owners didn't try so damn hard to claim they have a true AMG. I swear half the owners claim that the C43 is basically a C63 but AWD. Especially everyone who jumped in on the 4.1 0-60.
Hmm, it's so odd. Why do I see my C43 here (in the engine section, which is apparently makes it an AMG) if it's not an AMG? https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/amg

Most of the posts I have seen here involving this argument start out with someone asking a C43 related question and then out of the blue a C63 owner will come in and claim the C43 isn't an AMG (the owner of the brand--the one who gets to make the decision of what is and isn't an AMG disagrees, by the way). For example, take this thread and search for AMG. You will see that it does not appear until layzie12g chimes in to tell us that the C43 isn't an AMG. But sure, C43 owners are going to defend themselves against the unprovoked hostility coming from some (I suspect a pretty small subset) of the C63 owners that are offended by the introduction of the C43 as an AMG.
The following 4 users liked this post by MDSkiBum:
Eclipse155 (01-13-2017), gabe.m (01-13-2017), GEARS5 (01-13-2017), YoungLane (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 PM

None
Get what you like and be happy. If you really have a beef (c63 and/or c43 owners) with it file a compliant with MB AMG.
It sounds like some level of elitism, which we all can fall prey to but don't let it devolve to the point of apparent or perceived hostility.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
That's it.

I'm going out to the garage right now and putting duct tape over every "amg" I can find on my car...........
The following 3 users liked this post by Bueller178:
Eclipse155 (01-14-2017), gabe.m (01-13-2017), YoungLane (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I don't understand, is the ride in the BMW 440i or 340i stiffer than the c43? Some people are saying the c43 has a harsher ride than a BMW?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM

2017 c63s
Why would mb label the car amg? Because amg sells. M sells so there are M sports. The audi s series sells, that's why there is an S line.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 PM

None
Why would mb label the car amg? Because amg sells. M sells so there are M sports. The audi s series sells, that's why there is an S line.
Hmm....I would not compare S line to any of these; it's not even in the atmosphere. In fact BMW and MB made these lines to get the 'S' market Audi had for so long.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
I don't understand, is the ride in the BMW 440i or 340i stiffer than the c43? Some people are saying the c43 has a harsher ride than a BMW?
From my experience, the ride in the C43 is 'harsher' than the ride in the 3xx/4xx models (with adaptive suspension) when comparing two equivalent modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+). The 3xx/4xx absorbs some of the bumps and imperfections on the road a bit better than the C43. It feels more glued to the road and each bump feels less pronounced.

As for suspension stiffness, both are stiff when in Sport+, one is just a smidge better at absorbing imperfections in the road.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 PM

2017 c63s
So what's the difference between the c450 and the c43?

Last edited by Dthquazi; 01-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
First off, I can't really say I've seen any 43 guys "argue why their cars are AMG". All I ever see it 63 guys arguing that they aren't. Don't kid yourself.

But let me put it this way:

HP/liter

c63 - 117.25
c43 - 120.66 "non-AMG"

Oh but there is the S version right? That one totally beats the c43 out

c63s - 127.5

except for the new e43 "non-amg" that beats them all with 132hp per liter

You still think that having "One man" building the engine has some big difference? I'm guessing you're not really a car guy. You have the money to buy fast cool cars but you've never gotten yourself dirty underneath one and you probably couldn't tell a fuel injector from a muffler bearing, could you?

Next week my 450 will be 'stage 2' and pushing 150hp per liter with more tq than a stock c63s. Which is what I car about; power and drivability. I couldn't care less about silly badges or some sort of "status symbol" that you guys seem to covet so much. It's about how the car performs. And my car performs amazingly even in stock form.

And I'll tell you what, I actually prefer the sleeper look, myself. So I'm going to take off all the AMG badges that came on it. Remove the AMG floor mats and be rid of it all. Will that make you happy? The only problem is that I can't remove the AMG symbol that pops up on the nav screen when I turn the car on and I'm definitely NOT removing the AMG adjustable suspension.

Last edited by sean1.8t; 01-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sean1.8t:
Doubletap99 (04-21-2017), Eclipse155 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
So what's the difference between the c450 and the c43?
the 450 has the 7 gear "speedshift" tranny.

the 43 has the new 9spd version as well as front and rear AMG badges.

the 43 also sends 3% more of its power to the rear (69% total) than the 450

A little different but more or less, the same car.
The following users liked this post:
Mbm6f (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 PM

2017 c63s
First off, I can't really say I've seen any 43 guys "argue why their cars are AMG". All I ever see it 63 guys arguing that they aren't. Don't kid yourself.

But let me put it this way:

HP/liter

c63 - 117.25
c43 - 120.66 "non-AMG"

Oh but there is the S version right? That one totally beats the c43 out

c63s - 127.5

except for the new e43 "non-amg" that beats them all with 132hp per liter

You still think that having "One man" building the engine has some big difference? I'm guessing you're not really a car guy. You have the money to buy fast cool cars but you've never gotten yourself dirty underneath one and you probably couldn't tell a fuel injector from a muffler bearing, could you?

Next week my 450 will be 'stage 2' and pushing 150hp per liter with more tq than a stock c63s. Which is what I car about; power and drivability. I couldn't care less about silly badges or some sort of "status symbol" that you guys seem to covet so much. It's about how the car performs. And my car performs amazingly even in stock form.

And I'll tell you what, I actually prefer the sleeper look, myself. So I'm going to take off all the AMG badges that came on it. Remove the AMG floor mats and be rid of it all. Will that make you happy? The only problem is that I can't remove the AMG symbol that pops up on the nav screen when I turn the car on and I'm definitely NOT removing the AMG adjustable suspension.
You couldn't be more wrong, but go ahead and project what you want to believe. Until my Volkswagen I have done all the work on my cars. Even with them I did all the maintenance and the modifications that I could. The S4 was the same but there was limited things you can do to that one really. I have done several full motor swaps.

Hp per litre doesn't mean **** and never has. 4 cylinders have been pushing far more hp per liter for years but still doesn't equate to faster or better cars.

The status symbol argument always get thrown in. I couldn't care less about a status symbol. This is a simple argument but no one ever wants to agree. It has been said before. Amg is being diluted. Just like all of the other performance divisions in all of the other markets. It's to sell cars. If the car works for you, then fantastic. I just don't agree that it is a true amg if someone tells me. I don't think that the c63 is better because I argue that it is an amg.

Make the car what you want and be happy. I have tons of respect for clean quick cars. The c43 is definitely included.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:34 PM

2017 c63s
the 450 has the 7 gear "speedshift" tranny.

the 43 has the new 9spd version as well as front and rear AMG badges.

the 43 also sends 3% more of its power to the rear (69% total) than the 450

A little different but more or less, the same car.
So those changes warrant changing the c450 amg sport to a full c43 amg?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Polar White C43 Sedan

Don't worry, big boy AMG owners are ballers and those of us who have the bare bones Chinese knock off C43's are nothing but dust bunnies in the presence of "true AMG gods".
Old 01-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Originally Posted by Bueller178
Don't worry, big boy AMG owners are ballers and those of us who have the bare bones Chinese knock off C43's are nothing but dust bunnies in the presence of "true AMG gods".
why does everyone turn it into a money thing and statues symbol? The c63 owners never mention that because it has no bearing. That's not the argument. The cla is a true AMG by definition and is cheaper than both.

Seems to me like some c43 owners, like you, push so hard in the argument because you want the status of owning a true AMG or you wouldn't make the argument.

All we we are saying is the c43 does not fit the definition of a true AMG. If MB started putting AMG badges on the c250 and changed nothing I guarantee you'd say not a true AMG.

And to the money thing and being a car guy...
i worked hundreds of OT hours and am responsible with my money so I was able to get the c63. So don't start with that. I'm an average dude who worked like crazy last year to buy his car.
and I can bet there's a good chance my car knowledge is far better than yours. I am through and through a car guy and that's the reason I got a c63. Driving machine.

Novody says the c43 is bad, it's just not a c63 and not a true AMG. The one man one engine thing does matter because honestly that's why they have AMGs...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Polar White C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Souriall91
why does everyone turn it into a money thing and statues symbol? The c63 owners never mention that because it has no bearing. That's not the argument. The cla is a true AMG by definition and is cheaper than both.

Seems to me like some c43 owners, like you, push so hard in the argument because you want the status of owning a true AMG or you wouldn't make the argument.

All we we are saying is the c43 does not fit the definition of a true AMG. If MB started putting AMG badges on the c250 and changed nothing I guarantee you'd say not a true AMG.

And to the money thing and being a car guy...
i worked hundreds of OT hours and am responsible with my money so I was able to get the c63. So don't start with that. I'm an average dude who worked like crazy last year to buy his car.
and I can bet there's a good chance my car knowledge is far better than yours. I am through and through a car guy and that's the reason I got a c63. Driving machine.

Novody says the c43 is bad, it's just not a c63 and not a true AMG. The one man one engine thing does matter because honestly that's why they have AMGs...

I'm not the one who pointed out that my C43 Chinese knockoff with "amg" stickers all over it wasn't a "real AMG". It's the C63 guys that are lightning fast to point that out ad nausium.

All I know is that I'm pretty sure my car was built by Mercedes, and it's those idiots that put AMG all over my car. So it's either the manufacturer, or the consumer that decides what the car is, but it can't be both. But if it makes the C63 guys feel better, I hereby declare that my car is nothing but a "fake" amg.

Last edited by Bueller178; 01-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 PM

2017 c63s
I'm not the one who pointed out that my C43 Chinese knockoff with "amg" stickers all over it wasn't a "real AMG". It's the C63 guys that are lightning fast to point that out ad nausium.

All I know is that I'm pretty sure my car was built by Mercedes, and it's those idiots that put AMG all over my car. So it's either the manufacturer, or the consumer that decides what the car is, but it can't be both. But if it makes the C63 guys feel better, I hereby declare that my car is nothing but a "fake" amg.
I don't care if the c43 guys agree, but to me it was a marketing ploy. If they can sell more cars that way, why wouldn't they badge it as an amg.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 PM

Polar White C43 Sedan
I don't care if the c43 guys agree, but to me it was a marketing ploy. If they can sell more cars that way, why wouldn't they badge it as an amg.

Of course it's a marketing ploy, just like 1 man 1 engine.

If the C43 made 500hp but was built by robots, does that make it less or more than a 1 man 1 engine car?

While I agree, the slogan 1 man 1 car sounds good, the AMG motors don't make more hp because of that. A robot can make a 500 hp engine as good, or better than any "man".

Oh the plight of man, to be "proud" that said man has more money or more power or a bigger engine than the next. Not one man can add a single day to his life, so I'd say enjoy life and health for as long as you can.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bueller178:
Eclipse155 (01-14-2017), sean1.8t (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 PM

2017 c63s
Of course it's a marketing ploy, just like 1 man 1 engine.

If the C43 made 500hp but was built by robots, does that make it less or more than a 1 man 1 engine car?

While I agree, the slogan 1 man 1 car sounds good, the AMG motors don't make more hp because of that. A robot can make a 500 hp engine as good, or better than any "man".

Oh the plight of man, to be "proud" that said man has more money or more power or a bigger engine than the next. Not one man can add a single day to his life, so I'd say enjoy life and health for as long as you can.
I have never claimed to have more money or be better. I see many people on these forums who obviously have way more money than me but chose the c43. That's because it works for them. I don't care. I chose my car because as a car enthusiast, it was appealing to me. I assume all of us have done that on these forums.

There are a lot of gimmicks in the auto industry. The only time I have ever heard that one man one motor is a gimmick is during this argument. It seems the rest of the auto industry doesn't think so.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
This is all I'm saying:

No 450/43 guy stated that they are "true AMG" cars. Not once. That was never even implied by anyone.

This all started when the post was made (out of no where and completely off topic to the thread at hand) that "A C43 is not a real AMG. Period."

And of course HP/liter isn't the 'end-all-be-all' when it comes to an engine. But it is pretty damn important so I wouldn't go as far as to say "it don't mean ****".

I was just making the point that there is nothing overly special about an AMG motor. They are badass, no doubt. But the motor "one man..." motor is honestly the only major difference in the cars. I'm not claiming I drive a "True AMG" by any means. Never did. I'm just saying that you AMG guys need to get off your high horse when it comes to that crap. You're in a badass car, more badass than mine naturally; but you're not driving around in a ferrari or Bugatti so don't act like you are.

I do wish that I had a V8 in my car everyday, trust me, I do. LOVE that rumble and I am jealous that you guys get to hear that everyday. AWD was simply more important for my needs of a DD and that is just fine by me.
The following users liked this post:
Bloodstar57 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
I don't work or consult for either company so I'm probably not the right guy to ask.

As said in this thread about the marketing ploy, I'd guess that is what the main factor for the change was.

I think they were kind of easing the AMG sport line in with the c400 to the c450 AMG then to the AMG c43. Probably as a way to acclimate the "true AMG" owners into the brand being diluted..

Obviously didn't work so well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: C43 Steering extremely light?