Sponsored by:

c43 steering numb at the limit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C5 Z06
c43 steering numb at the limit?

Potential owner of a c43 here. I'm looking to replace my 01 Z06 as changing circumstances require a more practical second car. I want a compact sport sedan, and the c43 is the last one left standing so it's this or buying a third car and keeping the 'vette, which would be great if it weren't such a logistical hassle.

The one remaining obstacle is a note in a one page road test in C&D or R&T about 2 years ago that the steering goes numb at the limit. For me this would be a fatal problem, but I've read many reviews and that was the only one that mentioned it. On my test drive (cool, wet roads) I found good feedback and self-centering at moderate cornering loads, similar to the Z06, which isn't the greatest car in that regard (but feedback improves closer to the limit). You can't slide the car around with a salesman aboard so I didn't get to test the feedback at the limit. The one time I thought I was getting close to the limit I thought I could feel the car starting to understeer through the "seat of my pants", but felt nothing through the steering. So this appeared to confirm the magazine report.

It would be great if people who push their cars to the traction limit could give me their view of what happens to steering feedback. Also, if it does go numb, has changing to non-runflat tires improved the feedback at the limit? Are there any other easy changes (eg. stiffer bushings) that help?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
It is a bit numb, but short of a CPO E90 M3 so is just about everything in the segment. The days of mechanical steering racks are over.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
I find steering at the limit good.

On center steering below the limit is numb IMO