C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be placing an order next week... first MB for me :)

Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2016 C63 AMG S
Will be placing an order next week... first MB for me :) *Order placed

Hi all,

I decided to trade in my current vehicle and get a C63S AMG. I currently drive a 2013 Shelby GT500. Love it and hate it at the same time. Those 662 horses always puts a smile on your face, but it's also near impossible to enjoy all of them. Even on a track it is difficult unless it is a drag strip, and I've found that I don't like to do the drag strip a lot.

Also, while it's a near $70k car, it's still only a $30k mustang on the inside. Looking for something with a bit more refinement and luxury.

After reviewing several cars, decided on the C63 S. Came down to that and the M3 in the end. Part of the reason is the engine. Moving from a 662hp V8 to an I6 that has to augment engine noise with fake sound was a bit too much. The sound on the C63 S is great, and while sound might not seem that important, it was a deciding factor. I liked the additional HP, torque, and the interior.

Anyway, my local dealership said the run of 2015 ordering was over and that they'll take a 2016 order for an August build. This actually works out perfectly as I have to go away for some summer training (in the military) and will be back in August.

I know what options I want for the most part (can post my whole build if anyone is interested), but wanted to elicit some opinions before I order.

1. Black vs. Obsidian black. Hard to tell the difference from the pictures. I know black is harder to take care of, but it's the color I want. Just have to decide between the two. Anyone with any experience that can tell me anything about those two colors? When I go back to the dealership I'm going to see if they have two that I can see close by.

2. Performance exhaust option. I know that one of the settings is a quieter setting. However, if I pretty much never intend to use the quiet setting, will I get something out of this option? Is there a "louder" setting or a "better than the stock sound" setting?

3. Air purification system ($350 option). What is the deal with that? Something that is worth it?

4. I'm wanting the power rear sunshade, but what about the side shades? It doesn't appear on the configurator that they are powered... clip on?

5. This is outside of the build. Anything I should know about Mercedes-Benz in general? This will be my first. Had mostly ford with one BMW in there.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Last edited by datalink7; 05-13-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL550, 2015 Ghibli S4
1. Obsidian is the metallic black. You can only tell a difference if you look at it up close. I have it on my cars, and any black will look sharp when clean. I live in TX so there are plenty of sunny days for my cars to keep clean.

2. Everyone seems to think that the Performance exhaust is the way to go for the guttural auditory sensation that will permeate through everyone of your senses. I ordered it on my C63s as well.

3. Air purification system first became available on the new S-class. My friend has it in his S63, so he convinced me to get it as it's available on the C. The car will always smell great.

4. I have power rear shades in my E, and I use it often. My wife has the rear window shades in her GL, and she uses it as well. It's manually operated as it is pulled from the front of the window and clips onto the rear section.

5. We have a great relationship with our local MB dealership, and the people/customer service are excellent. We have owned/leased 5 MBs with one more to come, the C63s. It is expensive to drive a Mercedes as routine maintenance is not included like it is with BWM, but we've also been lucky with our vehicles as the build quality has been very good without a lot of issues.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 C63 507, '11 C300, '96 Cobra, '91 Mr2
Man another GT500 defector...ok...

1. Obsidian Black. Lot easier to keep clean than black.

2. You are coming from a GT500. You will want this option.

3. This option is for sissies

4. Had these on my E55, great for summer months and parking out in the sun -- helps to keep the interior cool. Had this and 4-way climate control, passengers in back were happy.

5. MB dealers by and large are better than BMW, IMO. Interaction with service is pretty smooth if car is under warranty. If not, it's like gearing up for war; this is probably the case everywhere else. Make friends with the parts guys and they will cut you a break when it comes to ordering AMG stuff.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GT4
Good post OP. This will be my first Benz as well if I go this route.

Seems a lot of people are going with the Obsidian Black. Not sure how often I've seen this color. Seems like most C, E, and S classes are plain black on the road.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by csbear
Good post OP. This will be my first Benz as well if I go this route.

Seems a lot of people are going with the Obsidian Black. Not sure how often I've seen this color. Seems like most C, E, and S classes are plain black on the road.
Same here....my first so I'm really interested in #5. I'm going with Polar White with performance exhaust. For me, the exhaust means two things:

1. I can put it on somewhat quiet mode so I don't completely **** off my neighbors. I also have a M4 and the cold start suck to the point I want to just push it out of the garage in neutral.

2. I like that I can turn up the exhaust so that it stands above others when I'm out playin'
Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 PM

2016 C63 AMG S
Thanks for the replies.

This is what I'm looking at.

Exterior

Color: Obsidian Black Metallic
Wheels: AMG cross-spoke forged (Black)
AMG Night Styling Package
Panorama Roof
Lighting Package

Interior

Color: Black Nappa leather w/Grey Accents
Trim: Black Ash
AMG Performance Front Seats
Silver seat belts
Power rear-window sunshade
Rear-side window sunshades

Entertainment & Convenience

Multimedia Package
Hands-Free Access Package
AMG Head-Up Display

Performance & Safety

Parktronic with Active Parking Assist
Blind Spot Assist
AMG Dynamic Performance Exhaust
Old 04-25-2015, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Optional rear side-impact airbags if you have children.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
Originally Posted by datalink7
Thanks for the replies.

This is what I'm looking at.

Exterior

Color: Obsidian Black Metallic
Wheels: AMG cross-spoke forged (Black)
AMG Night Styling Package
Panorama Roof
Lighting Package

Interior

Color: Black Nappa leather w/Grey Accents
Trim: Black Ash
AMG Performance Front Seats
Silver seat belts
Power rear-window sunshade
Rear-side window sunshades

Entertainment & Convenience

Multimedia Package
Hands-Free Access Package
AMG Head-Up Display

Performance & Safety

Parktronic with Active Parking Assist
Blind Spot Assist
AMG Dynamic Performance Exhaust
You won't be getting black forged wheels unless you're waiting for MY2016
Old 04-25-2015, 04:00 PM

2016 C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Will617
Optional rear side-impact airbags if you have children.
I don't. I'm not even married. However, it is a good point. Maybe I would want them at some point in the future. Probably a good option to add.

Originally Posted by amanuuh
You won't be getting black forged wheels unless you're waiting for MY2016
I am. Look about half way down my original post
Old 04-25-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After watching this video I think black hides the lines of the car too much

Old 04-25-2015, 09:41 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4

2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S (510hp) - pure SOUND - YouTube
That sound....

Can you imagine that with the black forge wheels?

Btw, I like his statement in the description that the car has an illegally loud screaming "Performance Exhaust System"

Last edited by Iceman II; 04-25-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Iceman II
That sound....

Can you imagine that with the black forge wheels?
So much wheel gap. The car definitely is going to need a drop. I can't imagine black but i can imagine bronze

Aftermarket exhaust plus down pipe = LOUD AF
Old 04-25-2015, 10:04 PM

2016 C63 AMG S
I can see what you're saying, but I love black and I still think it will look great.

Lines won't be as defined as in the pic, but still good I think.

Will be placing an order next week... first MB for me :)-blackc63s_zps5x9azgye.jpg

I'm more worried that it will be too much black with the black leather interior. I THINK it will look nice with the grey lines and silver seat belts as highlights (I like how the belts connect into the grey lines), but it is a LOT of black...

Will be placing an order next week... first MB for me :)-blackc63sinside_zpsepp8njus.jpg

Last edited by datalink7; 04-25-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I love how after the exhaust quiets down you can still here the turbos blowing off! LOL
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I can see what you're saying, but I love black and I still think it will look great.

Lines won't be as defined as in the pic, but still good I think.

I'm more worried that it will be too much black with the black leather interior. I THINK it will look nice with the grey lines and silver seat belts as highlights (I like how the belts connect into the grey lines), but it is a LOT of black...

I would add the Night Styling Package to your order to complete the all "black" look.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 C63 507, '11 C300, '96 Cobra, '91 Mr2
car sounds eternally pissed in that video...awesome
Old 04-27-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
1. Black vs. Obsidian black. Hard to tell the difference from the pictures. I know black is harder to take care of, but it's the color I want. Just have to decide between the two. Anyone with any experience that can tell me anything about those two colors? When I go back to the dealership I'm going to see if they have two that I can see close by.

2. Performance exhaust option. I know that one of the settings is a quieter setting. However, if I pretty much never intend to use the quiet setting, will I get something out of this option? Is there a "louder" setting or a "better than the stock sound" setting?

3. Air purification system ($350 option). What is the deal with that? Something that is worth it?

4. I'm wanting the power rear sunshade, but what about the side shades? It doesn't appear on the configurator that they are powered... clip on?

5. This is outside of the build. Anything I should know about Mercedes-Benz in general? This will be my first. Had mostly ford with one BMW in there.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.
1. Once you know Obsidian is easy to tell Black from Obsidian. I have Obsidian on my CLS and ordered my C63s in Obsidian as well. Didn't seem like swirl marks show up as much. It catches light much more than standard black.
2. I believe the performance exhaust turns up the noise level a notch in every seeing what I've been told but don't quote me on that.
3. It's 350 bucks. If you don't like it after don't use it. You can your own fragrances.
4. I use the power sunshade in my CLS every day. So I optioned out both this time. Darker is better. The sides are clip on.
5. You probably don't want to own it outside the warranty period. Repairs are costly coming from the domestic market.
Nonetheless you should enjoy it.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM
MBW Editor

Front Page News!

Congrats on the decision! We thought we'd give this thread a little front page love to spread the word...
https://mbworld.org/articles/lets-he...nd-right-c63s/
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 PM

2016 C63 AMG S
Originally Posted by JonathonK
Congrats on the decision! We thought we'd give this thread a little front page love to spread the word...
https://mbworld.org/articles/lets-he...nd-right-c63s/
Heh, didn't expect that. Thanks

Going to the dealership tomorrow to get a ride in a C63S and then put down my deposit. Excited
Old 04-28-2015, 07:01 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Heh, didn't expect that. Thanks

Going to the dealership tomorrow to get a ride in a C63S and then put down my deposit. Excited
Awesome....congrats!

Now the wait begins...
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Don't put a deposit down until you've driven the 2015 C63 507 coupe!

The 6.2L naturally aspirated V8 is a supercar engine that is widely, widely, praised. The new 4L twin turbo V8 is nice, but nowhere near as special as the M156 engine.

Test drive one before you pull the trigger on the new C63.

I just bought a 2015 507 coupe, and the reasons why I didn't go with the new C were:
- US and Canadian models are made in Alabama, not Germany. Something about an AMG that is not made in Germany didn't sit well with me.
- turbos - don't like them - more maintenance, slower to respond (there is ALWAYS some lag)
- sound - just doesn't sound as good as a W204
- interior - sure, it looks awesome in pictures, but it's NOT as good quality as the W204 C63. The quality of the materials, sound of the power seat motors, and the weight of the doors, just feels cheaper.

I'm not trying to bash the W205 - I just think that if you are coming from a Mustang, you are going to miss not having the best V8 you can have. And the M156 is it. Get it while you can.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
Good one Datalink7.
Surge is correct in the turbo experience department.
I do not have a C63 but have driven a SLK55AMG. We have A190, C200K, C180K and my daily is C250 2011 model, which is the 1.8turbo engine.
I can confirmed the turbo lag. Also if not carefull, it will be inappropriate for certain situation.
As much as I love my daily, but my wife's C200K is a nicer drive (torque delivery wise).

As for colour, I hate white (very difficult to clean and also very common) but I had no choice when I bought mine, it was a demo. It was Calcite White which is non metallic. Similarly Obsidian is metallic and Black is not.

However, a friend of mine is a car nut and keeping it clean and shiny is his thing. He found a polymer based polish/wax(it is neither but for want of a better word). He assured me that my white car would be the best looking white car around (colour wise). I was extremely skeptical. But he convinced me after the first application. It was OK, looked better than when I left the dealership.

Initially I have applied it after washing. Did that about 5 times within 6 months.
Then by accident, after washing, I dried that car with the towel that I usually use to buffed out the polish. I realised it after doing half the car. I decided to continue with it.
I stood back after it was dried and noticed that it had the same shine as I would have dried and polished/wax it normally.

So next time I wash, I decided to add a few drops of the polish/wax in plain water ( I dont use any wash shampoo or detergent on my friend's advice) bucket. Lo and behold, after drying, it came out terrific, as ifI had gone thru the process of wash and polish. This had cut my wash time in half.

I have kept this regime for the last year and a half.
I can tell you that my plain White car looks better than metallic White. I have parked it next to the dealers and compared. The sales guys and the mechanics all agreed. So whenever I take it in for service, they ask my how I keep the paintwork so "like new".

So if Black is your colour, go for it. I could not tell you the brand of the polymer based product (my friend wont tell me) but I am sure you can find some out there.

This is the shine. The pic is current, so the car is 3.5yrs old.

Last edited by jesydney; 04-29-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add text
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
You went a bit off topic there...

But, so, why can't you tell us the name of the 'stuff' you used to get these results?! What is the point if we don't know the product name so we can try it??
Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
I would tell you guys if I could. No matter what I offer or do, my friend would not tell me. He does it for as a side detailing biz. He gives it to me a recycle plastic bottle. He would not even refill the bottle for me (I was hoping he would fill it, so I could go with him to see the actual container). He will only exchange for another full bottle. He would not let me into his garage.
So unfortunately I could not tell you. But I think I saw Autoglym has a similar product. The consistency and the colour of the mix is similar. Even the smell. But I'm no chemist, so I cannot give a definite yes.

Surge, topic wise, I was just trying to stregthen your resolve about turbo lag. Turbo is not as linear with power delivery as atmo. Colour wise, I was just commenting/sharing my experience that Black or a base colour without the metallic sparkle and keeping clean may take a little more time but with the right carcare product it may come out just fine. I cannot get it here but Chemical Guys may have similar product.

Last edited by jesydney; 04-29-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 AM

MB C320
I once had a black BMW and it was beautiful, but standing there in the showroom was the last time I saw it 100% clean and shiny. I spent years with a rag in my hand battling to keep it perfectly clean. And in South Africa, it is 90% hot weather mostly making the car- interior hot, hot, hot! Aircon on all the time! Now I have a white C-Class and it is real easier to keep clean and control the inside temp. When selling, no-one likes to buy black cars used and you also lose money. However, admittedly, black does look nice in the showroom, but I'll pass.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will be placing an order next week... first MB for me :)