Sponsored by:

Audio system comments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Audio system comments

I have just a few observations / comments on the audio system.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the sound. When I first got the car, I adjusted the tone controls (I have trouble calling bass, mid, and treble controls an equalizer) using lossless music on my iPod. Initially I found the bass to be much too boosted. I ended up with a -4 setting for bass. Based on my listening, the bass and treble did not need adjustment.

Also initially, the treble had a bit of harsh edge. The level was well balanced, but it sounded a bit "gritty." I experienced this as accelerated "listener fatigue." That is, after about an hour, I felt like my ears needed a break before continuing to listen to the system.

After a few weeks, I believe the sound improved. It could simply be that I "got used to it." However, I do believe that the system needed some burn-in time.

In any case, the treble harsh edge is no longer there and I can comfortably listen for extended periods.

Also, the bass has definitely calmed down. After a recent careful listen, I determined that the bass now needs only a -2 to be at the correct level.

I don't know if the system will continue to burn-in. However, it sounds very good at this point. I will check the bass again in a month or two, just to be sure.

My advice to all new owners is to be a bit patient. Wait a few weeks before making any judgments about the audio system.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Diamond W205 C63s Ed1
I agree with you, at first I also felt that it was uncomfortable listening to the system for extended periods of time simply due to the harsh highs, but I do feel like the speakers have been broken in. I felt that the bass was lacking, yes it was loud but it didn't hit some of those low notes like a proper bass should. In the end I wired up a 10" jl in a sealed box and put it in the trunk. I have to say it sounds pretty awesome now haha. The front bass system was a pita to get too, I had to take out the floor liner just to tap the leads. When I finally got to it, it looked fairly weak/lacking but what can u expect from the stock system.. anyways highly recommend putting a sub in the back, really adds a level of depth to this system that should have been there from the start.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Burmester is best left at zero. I was told that when I went to a training event. However, I have all of mine at +3.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 AMG C63S ED1
Originally Posted by irablumberg
I have just a few observations / comments on the audio system...

Try setting the audio system to feed only the front seats and no rear. There's better sound that way. You might also want to try setting the fader/balance so that it's biased slightly toward the driver's seat and just above the center of the car.

Your taste may vary, but this is how I tuned my last car stereo with time alignment and it sounded great.

Turn the rear speakers back on for passengers only (if you care).

Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Burmester is best left at zero. I was told that when I went to a training event. However, I have all of mine at +3.
Everyone's ears are different.