C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at C63 and C450 amg

Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C450, Volvo V60 cc
Looking at C63 and C450 amg

I am currently on my 6th BMW, and have a 2016 M3 on order. My long time dealer (last 4 cars), however, cannot secure an allocation. I am the first of 3 and I have been waiting since June. It now appears unlikely my salesperson will be able to secure one by the end of the month. Given that, I decided to look at other options versus playing the game with other BMW dealers that have allocations.

I recently drove a C63S launch edition. It was a short drive, but I liked it. IMO, the C63 and M3 are more similar than different. I know it may be sacrilege, but I like both cars and both brands. I do, however, have some questions which I am hoping someone can address:

1) the MB dealer checked allocations and he indicated there are very few C63 in the system with most allocations being C63s versions. I read in a post (which I cannot find again) that dealers can alter a "s" to a standard C63. Is this accurate? It is really that hard to get a non "s" C63?

2) sport versus performance seats - I have only seen the performance version. I thought it was comfortable in the C63s, but the similar seat in the GLA amg seemed more confining. Is there a difference between the two? Does anyone regret sticking with the sport seat or upgrading to the performance seat?

3) the dealer mentioned the awd C450 amg would be at the dealer by early September and allocations would not be an issue. I have since read a number of online reviews which were very complimentary. By chance has anyone had any early experience with this model? I would like to know if it is closer to the C63 or C300/400? Handling and steering feel are more important to me than sheer speed. For example, I test drove a 435ix grand coupe with dynamic handling, but I still felt the steering and handling were a bit to soft and light after enjoying the M3.

I also test drove Porsche Macan S and Turbo. I was impressed. The performance and handling were well above my X3 (3.5 with DHP). The Turbo in particular was a blast and it felt more sporting than a typical 3/4 series, but not as engaging as the M3 or C63s.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciate. Thank you
Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
I'll start with #3. I might be an outlier here but IMHO if you are shopping the M3 and C63S, you will likely have a few regrets getting the C450. Again, MHO.

#1 - I'm not sure MB is interested in selling a lot of non-S C63 cars. In fact, I have not heard of one non-S delivery here in the US. I'm sure you can get it but I think most people (including myself) are sipping the early cool aid offered by MB. The S model is the one you really want.

#2 - I have the sports seats and love them. I'm 6'3 about 215 and haven't had any issues. My wife tells me every time she sits in the C63S she wants to close her eyes and nap -- a direct reference to the comfort of the sports seats. I never hear that in the M4. I have no regrets and enjoy both.

More pics here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...-mods-etc.html
Old 08-16-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG C63S
For #1, you might be referring to my post where I ran into some issues getting a C63 (non S-model). Technically, yes, you can get a C63. Here's how it works.

All C63s start their lives as C63 S-models. From there, any of those cars can be "d-tec"ed into a non S-model, meaning they remove the performance package which makes it the S-model. The key is you have to do it early enough in production. The car that I had ordered was too far along in production to have the performance package removed, and the next chance I would get was 3 months down the line.

So, it can be done, but only if you're prepared to wait.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Thank you for the responses

Thank you for clarifying the ordering process. I don't think my salesperson knew much about the allocation process. It effectively makes the choice between the C63s and C450.

I am hoping to test drive a C450 before deciding anything. At this point, I don't doubt I would likely have some regrets with the C450. I am just wondering if the tradeoffs are worth it, thinking the C450 delivers a nicer ride quality for extended trips combined with the added security of awd for the winter. I am still leaning towards the C63, though. While I won't need it as a daily driver in the winter, I would still switch over to winter wheels and tires (similar to the M3). Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Nice interior photos. The C63's seats do look great. The interior in general is more upscale to the M3. I find the M3's seats to be firm, but comfortable. The only thing they lack is the thigh extender.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by macct
Nice interior photos. The C63's seats do look great. The interior in general is more upscale to the M3. I find the M3's seats to be firm, but comfortable. The only thing they lack is the thigh extender.
They are also missing the adjustable seat bolster that the C63 has. They only have adj. back bolsters.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
I am currently on my 6th BMW, and have a 2016 M3 on order. My long time dealer (last 4 cars), however, cannot secure an allocation. I am the first of 3 and I have been waiting since June. It now appears unlikely my salesperson will be able to secure one by the end of the month. Given that, I decided to look at other options versus playing the game with other BMW dealers that have allocations.

I recently drove a C63S launch edition. It was a short drive, but I liked it. IMO, the C63 and M3 are more similar than different. I know it may be sacrilege, but I like both cars and both brands. I do, however, have some questions which I am hoping someone can address:

1) the MB dealer checked allocations and he indicated there are very few C63 in the system with most allocations being C63s versions. I read in a post (which I cannot find again) that dealers can alter a "s" to a standard C63. Is this accurate? It is really that hard to get a non "s" C63?

2) sport versus performance seats - I have only seen the performance version. I thought it was comfortable in the C63s, but the similar seat in the GLA amg seemed more confining. Is there a difference between the two? Does anyone regret sticking with the sport seat or upgrading to the performance seat?

3) the dealer mentioned the awd C450 amg would be at the dealer by early September and allocations would not be an issue. I have since read a number of online reviews which were very complimentary. By chance has anyone had any early experience with this model? I would like to know if it is closer to the C63 or C300/400? Handling and steering feel are more important to me than sheer speed. For example, I test drove a 435ix grand coupe with dynamic handling, but I still felt the steering and handling were a bit to soft and light after enjoying the M3.

I also test drove Porsche Macan S and Turbo. I was impressed. The performance and handling were well above my X3 (3.5 with DHP). The Turbo in particular was a blast and it felt more sporting than a typical 3/4 series, but not as engaging as the M3 or C63s.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciate. Thank you
Where are you located?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Connecticut.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
As far as my knowledge, the C450 AMG is equivalent to a BMW 3series M-Sport line.

I would say its more C400 than C63. It has the C63 suspension and interior, but its power output is much closer to the C400.

Also, depending on how you plan to option your C63, the C63s may not be that much pricier. Note that the 'S model comes with a lot of option gear as standard, such as genuine leather, red breaks, and 19' wheels. If you were planning on having options such as these on the C63, then the 'S model is perhaps $2500 more (?).
Old 08-16-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
I agree as I priced both ways and S was not that much more.
Also there some items not available on reg C63 like electronic diff. And larger front brakes.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Connecticut.
C63 & c63s are both available as of MY2016

Your best bet is to built one online the way you want it and have dealers contact you

Here is some info for comparison;

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci...x_eng.php#home

BTW, a c450 is not a true AMG - engine is not hand build.
Engine,suspension and exhaust is tuned by AMG.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
If I can help in anyway; please ask.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:06 AM

Built it a few ways

I configured the car a few ways. Going lighter on option on a C63, the sticker is around $72K. Configuring the C63s more generously, the price is between $78-81K, depending on the seats and wheels. At this point, the C63 is really not a candidate if it means a 3 month wait.

If I go for the C63, I am not sure if I would stick with the sport seats or go for the performance version. They both get very good reviews. I also like the standard 19" wheels, but also like the optional wheels, finding them a bit more distinctive. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
theres like 5 on ebay right now... no wait..
Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
PM Sent.