C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Oil Change No Longer Needed at 2K?

Old 08-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Rear Axle Oil Change No Longer Needed at 2K?

Interesting.... Had an appointment scheduled this morning for the rear axle oil change and the dealer called me to inform me its not required for a W205 C63S. We're in a mild debate now because (a) I have PPM and it says its due at 2k and (b) many of you guys here have already had it done and confirmed that it's required.

The service guy tells me they did extensive research on this last week when the owner of an Edition One showed up for the 2k service and found out it was not required -- so it wasn't done on his car either. They say that 2k requirement is for the W204 model.

Anyone else here get this feedback? Did MB change this requirement recently?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
I got it done and my dealer agreed it was necessary. This same issue came up on the AMG private forum and I believe the conclusion was that it is still necessary. Bottom line, worst case is you waste $200 if you do it, versus you screw up your diff if you don't do it.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
My service advisor told me the same thing, I contacted AMG gemany directly by email and provided my vin#, they said it is required so I had it done.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 AMG C63S ED1
Originally Posted by Iceman II
Interesting.... Had an appointment scheduled this morning for the rear axle oil change and the dealer called me to inform me its not required for a W205 C63S. We're in a mild debate now because (a) I have PPM and it says its due at 2k and (b) many of you guys here have already had it done and confirmed that it's required.

The service guy tells me they did extensive research on this last week when the owner of an Edition One showed up for the 2k service and found out it was not required -- so it wasn't done on his car either. They say that 2k requirement is for the W204 model.

I got mine done recently. Paid about $135 at the dealer.

I don't know of any LSD that doesn't require a break-in oil change. Do a Google search on various aftermarket LSDs. They always require it. My dealer was clueless as well, but I told them to do it anyway.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Not sure the engineering reason behind this is negotiable.
My dealer and my windsheild sticker from AMG says DO IT.
It's not much money.

GL.

My 70 yr old dad say it's not necessary... but he says I should only pay $24/tire..... at least that's what he paid in 1973 for his cutlas
Old 08-29-2015, 01:49 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Yeah, the whole thing is interesting. I told them to go ahead and do it -- especially since it was part of the PPM selling pitch by the finance manager when I bought the car. I agree - it's paid for and doesn't hurt to get it done. Hopefully the E1 owner is following MBWorld or the PL and learns about this. Otherwise, the service guy told him the service is not due until 30K.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM

2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
Originally Posted by betrezra
Not sure the engineering reason behind this is negotiable.
My dealer and my windsheild sticker from AMG says DO IT.
It's not much money.

GL.

My 70 yr old dad say it's not necessary... but he says I should only pay $24/tire..... at least that's what he paid in 1973 for his cutlas
Nice - gonna ask about those $24 tires. My father-in-law (in his 70s) is a auto geek and would kill me if he knew I was letting someone touch my car at today's labor rates. He thinks you should offer the repair guy a cup of coffee for the work. Otherwise, put on your "gosh darn it" overalls and do it yurself
Old 08-29-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
335d xDrive, C63S on order
It's in the UK manual that the diff oil change is required.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Interesting....

My dealer spent all last week looking it up, and their conclusion was that the rear differential fluid change was NOT required. They said it was due to the S-model having an electronic LSD instead of the mechanical LSD on the non-S model.

The mechanic there is one of the very, very few people I'd allow to touch my car, so I'm definitely inclined to believe him.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by msd3075
My dealer spent all last week looking it up, and their conclusion was that the rear differential fluid change was NOT required. They said it was due to the S-model having an electronic LSD instead of the mechanical LSD on the non-S model.

The mechanic there is one of the very, very few people I'd allow to touch my car, so I'm definitely inclined to believe him.
It is on sticker to do it and
some dealers say it is needed and
the UK manual says it is needed and
One owner contacted AMG and they say it is needed and
Past experience says it is needed
So I am inclined to do it at 2k miles along with the not needed oil change
Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by RDOCA
It is on sticker to do it and
some dealers say it is needed and
the UK manual says it is needed and
One owner contacted AMG and they say it is needed and
Past experience says it is needed
So I am inclined to do it at 2k miles along with the not needed oil change

I don't have sticker in front of me, but I don't recall it saying I needed the change.

I remember the salesman and service tech both reading the sticker and consulting whatever they used to look it up at delivery, and both said it didn't need to be done. They both were working under the assumption that all AMG models needed the change, but they looked at whatever they did and determined that it didn't. They also last week consulted whatever they needed to do and still said it didn't need to be done.

Not trying to argue, just stating my personal experience.

Last edited by msd3075; 08-30-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
2015 Maintance Manual

copied from manual and it says it is needed top item and #21 says AMG with locking diff needs it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan.pdf (89.1 KB, 453 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
It's required; bottom line. LOL
Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 PM

'15 C63S
copied from manual and it says it is needed top item and #21 says AMG with locking diff needs it
Maybe I'm completely off, but aren't 471 and P30 codes for the W204 and not the W205? Those are the only ones that according to your scan require the rear different fluid change. W204 Coupe is still a MY15.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 PM

15 AMG C63S ED1
Maybe I'm completely off, but aren't 471 and P30 codes for the W204 and not the W205? Those are the only ones that according to your scan require the rear different fluid change. W204 Coupe is still a MY15.
The W204 wouldn't be in the 2015 maintenance manual.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by mister2d
The W204 wouldn't be in the 2015 maintenance manual.
The sedan wouldn't, but coupe would be. The W204 coupe was still sold as MY15.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 AM

15 AMG C63S ED1
The sedan wouldn't, but coupe would be. The W204 coupe was still sold as MY15.
Suit yourself. I know better.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S

Its required, period. You have the PPM which makes we wonder. I have the PPM as well and I asked before purchasing the PPM if I get an oil change with the diff change after 1500 miles and their reply was YES, they are both required.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM

'15 C63S
I know I'm the odd man out on this one, but I found one more detail as I was searching through the manual of a friend that just bought a new '16 CLS63. She was told by the same people at the same dealership that told me my car did not need the differential service that her car did need it.

Her Owner Manual (not service sheet, not PPM schedule, but the big, thick book in the glovebox) had a section on break-in. It had a paragraph in there that stated specifically that her AMG-model CLS needed the differential service. I've attached a PDF of the 'Break-In' page in her manual.

I went online to get the Owner Manual for the MY15 C-class, both for the Sedan and Coupe. I've attached PDFs of the 'Break-In' sections from each manual. The Coupe has the same language as the CLS; it says the differential service in required. If you look at the Sedan, nowhere in that section does it say any of the MY15 C-class sedans require the service.

I understand many will disagree with me. That's fine. I'd rather go by what my trusted service tech tells me and what my Owner Manual tells me.
Attached Files
2016_CLS - Break In.pdf (75.7 KB, 258 views)
2015_C_ Coupe - Break In.pdf (79.5 KB, 290 views)
2015_C_Sedan - Break In.pdf (90.1 KB, 293 views)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I was never told the AMG cars also get a oil change at 1,500 miles. The rear diff is the only thing required to the best of my knowledge.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
I know I'm the odd man out on this one, but I found one more detail as I was searching through the manual of a friend that just bought a new '16 CLS63. She was told by the same people at the same dealership that told me my car did not need the differential service that her car did need it.

Her Owner Manual (not service sheet, not PPM schedule, but the big, thick book in the glovebox) had a section on break-in. It had a paragraph in there that stated specifically that her AMG-model CLS needed the differential service. I've attached a PDF of the 'Break-In' page in her manual.

I went online to get the Owner Manual for the MY15 C-class, both for the Sedan and Coupe. I've attached PDFs of the 'Break-In' sections from each manual. The Coupe has the same language as the CLS; it says the differential service in required. If you look at the Sedan, nowhere in that section does it say any of the MY15 C-class sedans require the service.

I understand many will disagree with me. That's fine. I'd rather go by what my trusted service tech tells me and what my Owner Manual tells me.
"You have the wrong manual and it took me quite a while to get the correct one from MB as it is not online."
This one has all the AMG info in it that the one you show does not.
Attached Files
page145.pdf (128.2 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM

15 AMG C63S ED1

You can read all the broken technical writing you want, but the fact is, locking differentials require a break-in period. Any car with one requires it. All the M cars I've had did as well (M3 and M5).
Old 09-01-2015, 04:22 PM

W205 C63 S
I've just been through this issue with my dealer here in the UK. They said it didn't need doing, manual and sticker says it does. They agreed to do it but said it wouldn't be covered on the service plan so I kicked up a stink with MB Customer Services today.

They checked with the technical team and if you have an S model it is a sealed unit and therefore cannot have the oil changed - it is only required on standard C63 not the S version, as that has a mechanical not electronic device.

I'm not sure if this varies depending on whether the car was made in the US or Germany.

Either way, they have put notes on my customer record stating that they told me it is not required and therefore if there are any issues in the future relating to a lack of oil change they will cover any repair costs under warranty.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Matt-the-man
I've just been through this issue with my dealer here in the UK. They said it didn't need doing, manual and sticker says it does. They agreed to do it but said it wouldn't be covered on the service plan so I kicked up a stink with MB Customer Services today.

They checked with the technical team and if you have an S model it is a sealed unit and therefore cannot have the oil changed - it is only required on standard C63 not the S version, as that has a mechanical not electronic device.

I'm not sure if this varies depending on whether the car was made in the US or Germany.

Either way, they have put notes on my customer record stating that they told me it is not required and therefore if there are any issues in the future relating to a lack of oil change they will cover any repair costs under warranty.
Matt
If it is sealed and can not be done how did 4 of the posters above have it done to their C63S cars?????
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM

W205 C63 S
Matt
If it is sealed and can not be done how did 4 of the posters above have it done to their C63S cars?????
I agree, it's crazy there's no clarity on this, it's my main point I explained to them but the tech guy was adamant it's not needed. Are we sure the 4 posters had the work actually done or were just told it was done? I may result to phoning Germany tomorrow but to be honest they have the info on my record so any issues its their problem not mine.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Oil Change No Longer Needed at 2K?