C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Best tuners and mods for the C63...? Serious answers needed.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport & Rs6
Originally Posted by CRAZYC63
Hi Adam,

Glad to see a vendor "Chiming in"

I have a couple questions...

Will the manifolds in the K2 kit make the exhaust louder than stock? That's pretty much what I've been going for, but without any annoying resonances, I love the stock exhaust sound, I just want MORE of it.

Also would you recommend a carbon fiber airbox and/or a pulley system of some kind? If so which one(s), and does Kleeman or you for that matter offer them?

The Kleeman kit seems to be the best option right now, it's pretty much everything I've been looking for except maybe an airbox or pulleys, but if the latter doesn't add that much power or sound, it's kinda better if I could spend money elsewhere. I really just like the LOOKS of a CF airbox more than anything, but I know on my M3 the Gruppe M just made the thing sound SO MEAN.

Thanks

Mike
Mike,

Hows it going!

The manifolds will add a deeper/throatier exhaust note, especially from the front of the car... It would only deepin the exhaust note from the rear but otherwise YES, you will have a big smile!

Personally, I never put the pulley on my vehicles! The motor will "spoil" faster and you will have a small increase in power!
Most pulleys put strain on other components and technically work the motor harder!

I am not a fan of the pulley.....but I would recommend the air box, Maybe other members with pulleys can chime in on there own experiences....

You can match the K2 with any Airbox...The extra CFM will help the "flow" with the added manifolds.

I can't remember which one everyone is buying? Ask Qship5, I recommend which ever one he has!

Also, the CF Airbox combined with Headers will make some nice deep growls....

You will be happy with the K2+Airbox.....Then you can decide if you want to change the muffler or cut out the res. etc.... How about Electric cutouts....look up QTP cutouts....Haha!!! That would be cool...

Let me know if I can help with the K2 package!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by hhughes1
At steady speeds on the highway it is exactly like stock but the volume amps up in direct relation to the acceleration. It does not drone but the reverberation as the car slows down(not the down shift snarl) is totaly cool. This usually occurs at speeds lower than 30 mph when you lift off the gas pedal. Cabin sound is great....I rarely turn on the sound system.
Hey hhughes1, I saw your latest youtube video and updated drag times, looks like your K2 C63 woke up some more, especially your trap speed! Would you attribute the better results from skill and/or weather, or do you think the tune just needed breaking in?

Btw, I JUST received my V3 MHP tune...only put 10 miles on it so far so I don't have enough to report yet, but I will after this weekend I'm running the header cal, and should be getting headers really soon. Full report to come once I get more seat time and data.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by nrgy
Hey hhughes1, I saw your latest youtube video and updated drag times, looks like your K2 C63 woke up some more, especially your trap speed! Would you attribute the better results from skill and/or weather, or do you think the tune just needed breaking in?

Btw, I JUST received my V3 MHP tune...only put 10 miles on it so far so I don't have enough to report yet, but I will after this weekend I'm running the header cal, and should be getting headers really soon. Full report to come once I get more seat time and data.
dude you gatta put some miles on the car and you will feel a huge diffrence. i got the headers cal my self and all i can say for now is that i got 2 cam mounts and 2 cam corders. going to make some vid very soon.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by nrgy

That run was on the last cool night in Central Florida(Gainesville 55 degrees) on street tires. However the tune itself got noticably stronger for the first couple of months. Went out one more time to Speedworld Orlando(85 degrees and 25mph headwind) and actually had a slightly higher trap than Keith on one of our runs. Keith's times and speeds are the highest recorded so far so I am VERY pleased with the way the Kleemann tune has evolved and I can't wait for cooler weather again with a pair of MT's on my spare wheels.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM

sorry for the dumb question but... does the kleeman ecu tune void warranty?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by hhughes1
The headers are usually available for $2495 and install should be $700 to $1,000. The Kleemann tune at $1500 is simply the best deal on the planet given that it provides 80 to 90 percent of the gain from a K2 package. My exhaust sound changed slightly with the headers but really got nasty when the secondary cats were removed. This mod ($100) along with the tune gives you a huge lift in performance and an even more aggressive exhaust note. Keep the cats just in case you feel it is too much, I have been told that my car is not "Mercedes-Like" anymore. Great news for me
Question, who removed your secondary cats? Was this a DIY? (Does it require cutting/welding?) I can't seem to get any shops here in PA to touch anything that has to do with emissions control. Also, the secondary cats are after the resonator right?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Question, who removed your secondary cats? Was this a DIY? (Does it require cutting/welding?) I can't seem to get any shops here in PA to touch anything that has to do with emissions control. Also, the secondary cats are after the resonator right?

Thanks!
Where are you in PA? taylorcoleman can probably recommend a shop near the Pittsburgh area, as he has Kleemann's K2 package installed. If you're closer to Philly, I have a shop that'll take care of you, if desired.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
damn that is pretty pricey for a header install. How involved is it. i would think it is just a bolt-on.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM

C63 AMG
I too would like to get my secondary cats removed but have received the same response of "we legally can't remove any cats". Does anyone know of a place in the Los Angeles area that can do this for me? Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by clktoc63

Thanks!
The cats are before the resonator which is the last stop before the mufflers. In Florida only a few counties have emission testing and it's easy to find a shop to cut out the cats and replace with two straight pipes.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:51 PM

2010 Arctic White AMG C63
Whats everyone's experience with MHP's tune and products? I was just looking at their website and it seems like their tune along with some long-tube headers and a diff, might be a pretty nice way to go. Expensive. But nice. I like the fact that they can tune the TCU also and get rid of the lag when using the paddles. SO:

Either Kleemann K2 with a Keemann Diff
or
MHP Tune with MHP long-tubes and Giken or Kleemann Diff.

Now I'm confused.

Oh and I changed my mind on wheels to M49s with the same finish I mentioned before.

Mike

Last edited by CRAZYC63; 06-19-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
its crazy that these N/A engines are putting down damn near my same trap speed...
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by CRAZYC63
Whats everyone's experience with MHP's tune and products? I was just looking at their website and it seems like their tune along with some long-tube headers and a diff, might be a pretty nice way to go. Expensive. But nice. I like the fact that they can tune the TCU also and get rid of the lag when using the paddles. SO:

Either Kleemann K2 with a Keemann Diff
or
MHP Tune with MHP long-tubes and Giken or Kleemann Diff.

Now I'm confused.

Oh and I changed my mind on wheels to M49s with the same finish I mentioned before.

Mike

you know whats funny i have that just waiting for the headers, this car with the ecu/tcu is like a roller coaster ride. stock to this is 5-6 cars diff. thats no joke.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
I have the Kleeman headers and ECU. I also have the AMG Performance Package. I am very happy with the car. I live in the rural part of southeastern Pennsylvania. There are plenty of roads that are not smooth at all. There are also lots of corners, dips, twists and turns as it is pretty hilly. The Perf. Package is by no means too stiff or rough riding. It's a pretty perfect ride and a great handling package. (I'd like even less body roll. But it's pretty good for a four passenger car.) Also, LSD, steering wheel, front brake upgrade are all nice and the Perf. Package is pretty cheap when you start adding up all of the costs.

I am VERY happy with the Kleeman K2 package. Cost was not really a major concern, but value was. (I would have been happy to pay twice the buck for even 1.5 times the bang.) From the cabin, the exhaust note is deeper and a little louder when you step on it. When cruising, you cannot really hear it. There is no droning or annoying resonance. I have had a bunch of 911s with a many different exhausts, so i know a bit about resonance and droning.

From 0-80, it's a close race between my C63 and my Shelby Cobra (2200 lbs/630 hp). It is amazing how technology and development has allowed newer cars to be so fast, so vice free and so comfortable. I hardly drive the Porsches or the Cobra anymore because the C63 has virtually no compormises. However, the Cobra is a LOT louder and more brutal, and sometimes that is just what you need.

Go with the Perf Package, the K2 and some 19" wheels. You'll have a seriously fun car that you can (and more importantly - WILL) use everyday.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by Lew L
I have the Kleeman headers and ECU. I also have the AMG Performance Package. I am very happy with the car. I live in the rural part of southeastern Pennsylvania. There are plenty of roads that are not smooth at all. There are also lots of corners, dips, twists and turns as it is pretty hilly. The Perf. Package is by no means too stiff or rough riding. It's a pretty perfect ride and a great handling package. (I'd like even less body roll. But it's pretty good for a four passenger car.) Also, LSD, steering wheel, front brake upgrade are all nice and the Perf. Package is pretty cheap when you start adding up all of the costs.

I am VERY happy with the Kleeman K2 package. Cost was not really a major concern, but value was. (I would have been happy to pay twice the buck for even 1.5 times the bang.) From the cabin, the exhaust note is deeper and a little louder when you step on it. When cruising, you cannot really hear it. There is no droning or annoying resonance. I have had a bunch of 911s with a many different exhausts, so i know a bit about resonance and droning.

From 0-80, it's a close race between my C63 and my Shelby Cobra (2200 lbs/630 hp). It is amazing how technology and development has allowed newer cars to be so fast, so vice free and so comfortable. I hardly drive the Porsches or the Cobra anymore because the C63 has virtually no compormises. However, the Cobra is a LOT louder and more brutal, and sometimes that is just what you need.

Go with the Perf Package, the K2 and some 19" wheels. You'll have a seriously fun car that you can (and more importantly - WILL) use everyday.
Kleeman should pay you for this review, almost swayed me to get the K2 package.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Kleeman should pay you for this review, almost swayed me to get the K2 package.
I wish they would!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Damn now I'm really confused. Everyone says the K2 is the ish but the MHP numbers kill... Oh and that little bit about the performance pack. The problem is I've already ordered my car, and really I should be taking delivery within the next few weeks. I hate thinking this hard.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Get the Perf Pack. Until the C63, I never would have bought an MB (even an AMG). Too soft, but that was the MB market. The ride of the regular C63 will not offend the typical MB buyer. However, the typical MB buyer probably prefers a very comfortable ride. If you have ever driven an M3, M5, 911 or any other sport/performance car, the Perf Package will be more than comfy.

b/t/w, I am not a 25 year old kid that puts up with a racer ride. I am a 45 year old guy with kids and a mortgage.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by Lew L
Get the Perf Pack. Until the C63, I never would have bought an MB (even an AMG). Too soft, but that was the MB market. The ride of the regular C63 will not offend the typical MB buyer. However, the typical MB buyer probably prefers a very comfortable ride. If you have ever driven an M3, M5, 911 or any other sport/performance car, the Perf Package will be more than comfy.

b/t/w, I am not a 25 year old kid that puts up with a racer ride. I am a 45 year old guy with kids and a mortgage.
+1 C63 is first MB I even considered owning.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:57 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
Mike,

Personally, I never put the pulley on my vehicles! The motor will "spoil" faster and you will have a small increase in power!
Most pulleys put strain on other components and technically work the motor harder!

I am not a fan of the pulley.....but I would recommend the air box, Maybe other members with pulleys can chime in on there own experiences....

Please elaborate.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 AM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe , Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by MacGCU
I too would like to get my secondary cats removed but have received the same response of "we legally can't remove any cats". Does anyone know of a place in the Los Angeles area that can do this for me? Thanks in advance

Anyone got any pics for this mod?

Some are saying there maybe 10 hp gains just there
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MUZZIE
Anyone got any pics for this mod?

Some are saying there maybe 10 hp gains just there
I thought the same thing of a cat-back exhaust.

Look at the size of the mufflers on an Eisenmann compared to the stock exhaust:

Stock:
Best tuners and mods for the C63...? Serious answers needed.-rbsreardiffuserwithgroundeffect8.jpg

Eisenmann:

Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 01:53 PM

08 Evo X PB, 09 C63 OB
I haven't heard of Eisenmann since my BMW E46 days haha...

Is there a sound clip of this exhaust anywhere? I tried youtube but to no avail.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by joowick
I haven't heard of Eisenmann since my BMW E46 days haha...

Is there a sound clip of this exhaust anywhere? I tried youtube but to no avail.
I don't believe so, I've searched up and down the internet for one and more pics of one on a car but the ones on the IND website are the only pics I could find. I wish the person that had that car was on these forums, I bet that thing would sound sick. That or a one-off Kreissieg F1 exhaust. That would probably run about $10k though and not many people have aftermarket cat-backs for this car anyway and Eisenmann builds some REAL quality stuff, so I would probably just go with them. When I first got my Eisenmann Race for my E92 M3 I wanted to hang it on a wall in my house as a work of art and order another one to put on my car. But I soon got my wish after I wrecked it, it's hanging on the wall in my garage now, it just has a few dents and bends, that aren't mandrel I might add. Courtesy of a 100 year old tree...

Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM

C63 AMG
I went onto the Eisenmann site and it said they had a C63 exhaust system so I e-mailed to inquire about whether it was a cat-back or just the silencers, as well as what diameter the tubing was. A rep from Eisenmann responded and said that they don't actually have a system for the C63 because they manufacture the stock C63 exhaust and thus have an agreement with AMG that they can't make an aftermarket system for it.
Needless to say, I'm glad I e-mailed some questions because I easily could've just ordered a system online that they claimed was for a C63, but was actually for a C350, and installed it on my car. Come to think of it, I wonder if the Eisenmann exhaust I had on my 04 S4 was actually for the 3.0 engine......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best tuners and mods for the C63...? Serious answers needed.