C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Forgestar Wheels

Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
[quote=Z99;3980356]After all the things I have read, the last thing I want in the back of my mind on a race track is if the wheel has the structrural integrity to take all the loads tracking a car puts on a wheel. [/quote]

Any wheel could break on a track, and there are other factors besides "structural integrity."

I did google forgestar before I bought them and there is some complaining on M3 boards, but I've yet to hear of someone having a wheel failure. Have you?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
Originally Posted by Z99
I am confused. This is a custom wheels that, for the fortunate, will be delivered in 4 to 5 weeks. Why would a custom wheel have fitment issues. Why would you need spacers and shaving etc.... Custom wheel is supposed to be built so that it fits car perfectly.

Then there is the question regarding quality. Wheel that looks good does not mean it is built well. One thing if you drive on the street and want a nice looking wheel. After all the things I have read, the last thing I want in the back of my mind on a race track is if the wheel has the structrural integrity to take all the loads tracking a car puts on a wheel. I like my health and car to much to risk it so that I save a few hundred dollars. A company that does not give a damn about customer satisfaction is more likely to put a bad product out there and deal with the consequences.

Has anyone seen so much negative feedback and information here and other sites regarding, Kleeman, Renntech, Brabus, OZ, HRE, BBS, ...........
I had spacer issues with my Kleeman wheels. They had 2 different width spacers out to me over night and for free. I thought my ecu was flashed by dealer. They checked it out and mailed it back to me for free. Every time I have a problem they are there and help me out. That is what required in this space. Otherwise your days are numbered.
Forgestar and other wheel manufactures of this construction / caliber purchase large amounts of wheels that have been crafted to adapt to many, many cars. The finish and size are just blanks sitting on the shelf. Then they machine the bolt pattern, center bore and deck the wheel to accomodate different offsets. This is how they do it. They don't really "custom" build a wheel for your car, they adapt it within the parameters that they have to work with. They use this strategy over and over again. the wheel you ordered could have ended up on a Pontiac GranPrix or an AMG C63.

Some wheel companies do prepare the finish on-site and 3 pc wheels are a bit more custom as they can trade out the lips and drill visible rivets as well to create different looks.

When it comes to fitment, they just try different offsets / sizes like anyone else would. There is no rocket science to it. Eventually, we may all find that a particular size wheel, offset and tire choice (mfgr specific) will be the perfect fit even for those running aftermarket shocks, springs and brake kits... perhaps there will be a few different combinations and you'll have to choose which one. They do rely on feedback because they aren't fitting these wheels themselves. You or your shop do that. If they don't hear back... they'll believe that all is well. This is how it really works.

If you know what you want, i.e. offset, sizes, etc then you can order it, they will make it just as you'd like. If you leave it up to them, they'll do their best and it may or may not be perfect for you. I believe that for my purposes, decking the wheel will allow me to fit a wider tire and still clear the suspension at the ride heights I'm looking at.

Re: Delivery Time. The time it takes to receive Forgestar wheels is heavily dependant on the finish and size you're looking for... because once they run out of stock on blanks in that size and color, you'll wait for the next container to come in. Essentially wheels are in two phases: On Order (i.e. waiting for stock to come in) and production (which is typically 2-3 weeks w/ Forgestar). Someone may order wheels after you and get them sooner. That would be because the wheel blanks were on the shelf and they were able to be put into production before yours.

Other wheels companies are slightly different but since we're talking FS, then there you go.

One point worth mentioning is that nobody said Forgestar wheels were "track" wheels per say. The are very light though and are a reasonable way to get yourself a 2nd set of wheels for the track!

Even if they were track wheels... things happen on the track, lots of things... parts break all the time. So be aware of that. You may install a shock or spring that's too stiff and putting too much load on the wheel, you may be running the incorrect tire pressure, etc... so before anyone decides if they are safe enough, lets first see if there are any known cases of defects. Then lets determine if they really are valid cases or just some street hooligan who went to the track with a bad car setup and is blaming the wheel.

If the wheel itself is to blame, then cool. Until then, lets not spread any bad ideas on a product that I've so far witnessed to be good quality (at least on par with other wheels in its class).

Re: Spending more on a wheel. That doesn't mean that it's stronger or better. It just means you paid more for it. There are $5000 wheels made by a particular mfgr that I could name that break all the time and people stand in line to buy them. Go figure... I guess they have the look that some are after! FS wheels are still a good option in my book.

In any case, I do understand your points, I'm just trying to bring a little clarity to the situation so owners may understand what's going on and why things are the way they are. Forgestar is not the best in customer service, they don't make a ton of money on these wheels... if paying extra for the service is worth it to you, by all means there are many other mfgrs out there to choose from and I don't blame you.

My point is that Forgestar will try to get you your wheels as quick as they can and I believe that they are a good product. However, they will not jump through hoops to satisfy you if it takes longer or the product doesn't come out perfectly. I knew this up front and so I was cool to wait and get the wheels when I could.

I think you're right about Kleeman, they seem to be top drawer and priced well, I'm sure they'll continue to do very well with the AMG market.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG_C63
Forgestar and other wheel manufactures of this construction / caliber purchase large amounts of wheels that have been crafted to adapt to many, many cars. The finish and size are just blanks sitting on the shelf. Then they machine the bolt pattern, center bore and deck the wheel to accomodate different offsets. This is how they do it. They don't really "custom" build a wheel for your car, they adapt it within the parameters that they have to work with. They use this strategy over and over again. the wheel you ordered could have ended up on a Pontiac GranPrix or an AMG C63.

Some wheel companies do prepare the finish on-site and 3 pc wheels are a bit more custom as they can trade out the lips and drill visible rivets as well to create different looks.

When it comes to fitment, they just try different offsets / sizes like anyone else would. There is no rocket science to it. Eventually, we may all find that a particular size wheel, offset and tire choice (mfgr specific) will be the perfect fit even for those running aftermarket shocks, springs and brake kits... perhaps there will be a few different combinations and you'll have to choose which one. They do rely on feedback because they aren't fitting these wheels themselves. You or your shop do that. If they don't hear back... they'll believe that all is well. This is how it really works.

If you know what you want, i.e. offset, sizes, etc then you can order it, they will make it just as you'd like. If you leave it up to them, they'll do their best and it may or may not be perfect for you. I believe that for my purposes, decking the wheel will allow me to fit a wider tire and still clear the suspension at the ride heights I'm looking at.

Re: Delivery Time. The time it takes to receive Forgestar wheels is heavily dependant on the finish and size you're looking for... because once they run out of stock on blanks in that size and color, you'll wait for the next container to come in. Essentially wheels are in two phases: On Order (i.e. waiting for stock to come in) and production (which is typically 2-3 weeks w/ Forgestar). Someone may order wheels after you and get them sooner. That would be because the wheel blanks were on the shelf and they were able to be put into production before yours.

Other wheels companies are slightly different but since we're talking FS, then there you go.

One point worth mentioning is that nobody said Forgestar wheels were "track" wheels per say. The are very light though and are a reasonable way to get yourself a 2nd set of wheels for the track!

Even if they were track wheels... things happen on the track, lots of things... parts break all the time. So be aware of that. You may install a shock or spring that's too stiff and putting too much load on the wheel, you may be running the incorrect tire pressure, etc... so before anyone decides if they are safe enough, lets first see if there are any known cases of defects. Then lets determine if they really are valid cases or just some street hooligan who went to the track with a bad car setup and is blaming the wheel.

If the wheel itself is to blame, then cool. Until then, lets not spread any bad ideas on a product that I've so far witnessed to be good quality (at least on par with other wheels in its class).

Re: Spending more on a wheel. That doesn't mean that it's stronger or better. It just means you paid more for it. There are $5000 wheels made by a particular mfgr that I could name that break all the time and people stand in line to buy them. Go figure... I guess they have the look that some are after! FS wheels are still a good option in my book.

In any case, I do understand your points, I'm just trying to bring a little clarity to the situation so owners may understand what's going on and why things are the way they are. Forgestar is not the best in customer service, they don't make a ton of money on these wheels... if paying extra for the service is worth it to you, by all means there are many other mfgrs out there to choose from and I don't blame you.

My point is that Forgestar will try to get you your wheels as quick as they can and I believe that they are a good product. However, they will not jump through hoops to satisfy you if it takes longer or the product doesn't come out perfectly. I knew this up front and so I was cool to wait and get the wheels when I could.

I think you're right about Kleeman, they seem to be top drawer and priced well, I'm sure they'll continue to do very well with the AMG market.
Great post, Vegas. I agree 100%.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Vegas, I agree with most of what you mentioned but there are a few things worth pointing out.

There are vendors (modbargains probably the biggest FS vendor) calling these track wheels...(more a fault of a vendor than FS)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=forgestar

I bought a set of iforged (FS parent company) a few years ago and it was a painful process to say the least. They first sent me the wheels in the wrong finish. I probably would have entertained keeping them anyways but the paint was uneven. Then it took them nearly 16 weeks to send me the replacement set (they did give me back $200). Therefore I do not believe one can take the stance that their customer service is a result of the price point since their service still was awful when dealing with $3k+ rims.

I did not know for certain that iforged was the parent company to FS till after I ordered...yes my fault for not researching this enough.

As far as the delays, I was told mine were in production a few weeks ago only to be told now that I have to wait for the next container to arrive.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by qship5
Peter and Wheel Experts are the best and between them and my attitude of "necessity is the mother of all invention" will make this work.
+1

He has taken care of me since my very first set of wheels. He definitely knows his stuff. I have now gone through 5 sets of wheels through him and every set has been PERFECT!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Z99

c63 amg

Very good post. Where I have a problem is how the wheels were presented. 3 to 4 weeks for delivery, perfect fit even if lowered, no potential problems what so ever, great for the track etc... I even told them about my deadline for the wheels. Tell me I am the 4th or 5 th guy in line and any potential problems (like tire rack when I told them my car was lowered). They would still sell lots of wheels at their price point. Maybe not to me, but enough. They would also have far less unhappy customers. Better for them and us in the long run.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
I agree with you both, the service sucks. I'm not defending them, just telling it like it is. I also have IForged wheels on another car. The problem with IForged and Forgestar is that they do make a good product for a great price... it would be up to all of us to stop buying them. I've accepted it for what it is, at least I knew that going in!

So at least we have the choice to save a few bucks and patiently wait or spend more and get better service. Again, I'm loving the new wheels and I'm just about over spending 3-6K in wheels. There are other products that make a bigger difference in my world.

Last edited by Vegas_AMG_C63; 03-12-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Z99
I see you have 2003 996TT like me. If you love them, I have 6 for sale. 3 front and 3 rear in black. Thy cost me $1900. I will sell them to you for $1000 plus shipping. Brand new, never used. I will send you the 6th wheel as soon as I get it delivered.

Not trying to be smart #@#@#, please lt me know if you want them.
im seriously interested, pm me for my email.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by W204 C63
im seriously interested, pm me for my email.

you have PM
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Z99
[I]Has anyone seen so much negative feedback and information here and other sites regarding, Kleeman, Renntech, Brabus, OZ, HRE, BBS.

Where is Forgestar made? China?

All the brands you mentioned above are respected European wheelmakers that adhere to the highest standards. It seems all the "online forum wheel company pimps" are selling cheap Chinese made junk that looks pretty and not much else. You cant compare the brands you mentioned to this garbage...

On and BTW if anyone wants some awesome brand new in box ITALIAN MADE OZ Racing staggered 19s, Im trying to sell a set here....

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...ap-norcal.html

$1175 INCLUDES SHIPPING TO YOUR DOOR for OZ quality
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM

+1 I couldn't agree more. I ordered a set for my Evo X, got them with the recommended tire sizes and didn't have any issues.

Z99- I feel like you aren't posting up the entire story and leaving a few things out. There are 2 sides to every story IMO. Did you order these wheels from a vendor or Did you work directly with Forgestar? I only ask because I went directly through Forgestar and everything went flawless.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I went with modbargains and the service was great. The wait time was a bit long (8 weeks) but that's really what I was expecting... This is why I ordered wheels at the end of November to make sure I get them in April!

For Forgestar, the service I've had so far has been great. Fast replies to my questions, replacement plastic center cap rings sent fast and free of charge. Great finish on the wheels and excellent packaging.

What could you really want more from wheels that are selling 1/4 of the HRE prices?

I have yet to install the wheels so I can't vouch everything is perfect but so far it has been a good experience.

About being track wheels, well I would not qualify them as "track" wheels. They are nice and light, but I don't know how much stress they can really take. However if guys in Lambos are using them they ain't going to break very easily either!

If anyone has serious doubts about the strenght of the wheels please post some info! =)

Last edited by chief63; 03-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Wheel quality and finish is first rate, but customer service is pitiful! I'm still trying to sort out rubbing issues in the rear and Forgestar is blaming in on running a 275 rather than a 265 tire. Why anyone would buy a 10" wide wheel to run a 265 is beyond me as the 275 is already a bit stretched on the wheel. Forgestar needs to step up to the plate and offer a 53 - 55 mm offset on the 10" wheel to make it fit the C63. Until they do that, all I can say to fellow C63 owners is "DON'T BUY THE 10" REARS!!!"
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Wheel quality and finish is first rate, but customer service is pitiful! I'm still trying to sort out rubbing issues in the rear and Forgestar is blaming in on running a 275 rather than a 265 tire. Why anyone would buy a 10" wide wheel to run a 265 is beyond me as the 275 is already a bit stretched on the wheel. Forgestar needs to step up to the plate and offer a 53 - 55 mm offset on the 10" wheel to make it fit the C63. Until they do that, all I can say to fellow C63 owners is "DON'T BUY THE 10" REARS!!!"
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I have asked peter if I get it 53-55.

Maybe I will just get it done local.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM

C63 AMG
If you guys think waiting 8 weeks is long, try waiting 22 weeks for a set of wheels--like me.

Albeit, they are not Forgestar, but still...it's getting a bit ridiculous. Good thing I have lots of patience.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by avengerboater
If you guys think waiting 8 weeks is long, try waiting 22 weeks for a set of wheels--like me.

Albeit, they are not Forgestar, but still...it's getting a bit ridiculous. Good thing I have lots of patience.

.....and your cash is still in your pocket?????

I ran into a similar problem with Centerline for my truck.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Where is it rubbing now (even after fender rolling?) on the inside or outside?

thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 AM

C63
I am probably the last person to stick up for FS but a 265 on a 10" rim is not too stretched. I had it done several times in the past with two different rim brands (HRE and iForged) along with several different tire brands (bridgestone S03, conti 3, and khumo ecsta).
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM

265/30/19 are nearly impossible to find for a decent price. What I had found was that I would need to go 265/35/19. However how much better is a tire with a larger diameter VS a wider diameter 265/35/19 vs 275/30/19 (the later having the same diameter has the stock pzeros.)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 AM

After doing some measurements and a lot of thinking, here are my conclusions that I would like to share with you:

Forgestar cannot make wheels with an offset as aggressive as the stock ones. I’d say there is around an extra inch on the inside of the rear wheel and more room on the outside. The 275 tires are 1cm wider on each side. With the stock suspension, no problem. With a lowered suspension, there is very little space on the inside so it doesn’t work. I realized that this is what they mean when they say their setup is optimized for lowered cars. A less aggressive offset gives the inside enough clearance.

On the other hand, going for a 10” wheel is doable for 265, but doesn’t make much sense. It should be rather 9” or 9.5” max.

A very important thing to consider is the amount of drop you will be putting. Taking into account that the stock suspension should not rub on 275 with the F14 (am I correct?), how much drop can you put before it starts to rub?

With the KW V3, the possible drop is as follows: 0-2.1” in the front and 0-1.2” in the back. I estimate that the max amount of drop you can put without rubbing (using the stiffest damper settings for both low and high speed) is between 0.5” and 0.75” in the back.

What I plan to do is have the shop install the rear wheels with the stock suspension first and make an assessment of the available room all around. The C63 is already lowered and I don’t think it can take an extra 1.2 inch of drop in the back without some serious fender work.

That being said, if anyone has tried different heights and could let us know what are the optimal settings that would greatly help! If not I’ll be the one to post it early April when I get the wheels and suspension installed.

I think in the end, the compromise will be less drop for more tire grip (wider tire), which I think for our car is the right choice.

New addition: For people using the KW V3, since the drop in the back cannot be adjusted (like in the front), the only solution will be to get the spring decompressed before install so you have a bit less drop.

Take care

Last edited by chief63; 03-17-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Judging from the alot of the posts, it doesn't look like anyone can get a set anytime soon if you order now.....

Unless
a vendor wants to chime in and state otherwise???
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by callmiro
Judging from the alot of the posts, it doesn't look like anyone can get a set anytime soon if you order now.....

Unless a vendor wants to chime in and state otherwise???
Since they are made on order, I think none of the vendors have any in stock.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
I was just told last night that mine and a few other member's orders, due at the end of this month, have been delayed. I'm guessing now at the end of April, after having ordered early Feb. Trying to decide if there are comparable options, I just don't want to shell out 4k or more for custom wheels.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 PM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
qship, i have a question regarding your suspension setup....are you dropped all the way down the spring on both the front and rear? im asking because im on h&rs, dropped fairly aggressively but not all the way....
im trying to figure out what setup i am going to go w/ based on your drop, cuz i think its perfect....if you are rubbing w/ 19x10 +50, would you (or anyone else thats paying attention) recommend 19x10 +53 or 19x9.5 +50?

im gonna be ordering some WORK wheels and trying to find the optimal setup

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forgestar Wheels