MBH headers and Dyno-Comp software

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
MBH headers and Dyno-Comp software

Friday we had a C63 come in to Dyno-Comp for Headers and mid section. Mid section includes our additional resonator option, to keep the sound a bit lower, However its a strait though set of resonators. We also did some testing on the Euro (ROW) airbox.

The C63 that got our headers installed had a renntech tune on it from a previous visit to Dyno-Comp. After installing the headers and reflashing Dyno-Comp's new 63 software, built for the MBH header system these were our results.

Also the Euro airbox seemed to make 6whp for a very short time in the mid range then nothing up top. I'm still waiting on other dyno charts with more runs and the video, but for know this is what we have.

Also im not a software guy, but if you are interested in a matched tune for headers Dyno-Comp has it.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Looks clean
Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Nice gains. Smooth curves..
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Friday we had a C63 come in to Dyno-Comp for Headers and mid section. Mid section includes our additional resonator option, to keep the sound a bit lower, However its a strait though set of resonators. We also did some testing on the Euro (ROW) airbox.

The C63 that got our headers installed had a renntech tune on it from a previous visit to Dyno-Comp. After installing the headers and reflashing Dyno-Comp's new 63 software, built for the MBH header system these were our results.

Also the Euro airbox seemed to make 6whp for a very short time in the mid range then nothing up top. I'm still waiting on other dyno charts with more runs and the video, but for know this is what we have.

Also im not a software guy, but if you are interested in a matched tune for headers Dyno-Comp has it.

Looks good Mike.

Nice gains - Regarding the software I'll have to keep this option in mind
for the future.

Mike
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
That's interesting that you guys found power gains with the ROW's in the middle of the powerband.

There is another dyno chart on this board that shows a rather significant increase in the middle of the powerband -- but its in rwtq. I forget what the hp gain -- if any -- was for that car. The rwtq gain was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 ft/lbs, but that obviously seems too high.

Superlubricity has pointed out that C63s make more power on the dyno after you lay down a few warmup runs, so in the case of the dyno that I refered to above (the one with the large rwtq increase) I don't know which run number it was in the succession of runs.

I plan on doing some more ROW testing compared to stock, with and without carbon filters when I have some more time.

Congrats on the new software to match your headers.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
That's interesting that you guys found power gains with the ROW's in the middle of the powerband.

There is another dyno chart on this board that shows a rather significant increase in the middle of the powerband -- but its in rwtq. I forget what the hp gain -- if any -- was for that car. The rwtq gain was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 ft/lbs, but that obviously seems too high.

Superlubricity has pointed out that C63s make more power on the dyno after you lay down a few warmup runs, so in the case of the dyno that I refered to above (the one with the large rwtq increase) I don't know which run number it was in the succession of runs.

I plan on doing some more ROW testing compared to stock, with and without carbon filters when I have some more time.

Congrats on the new software to match your headers.
Cars will have a window when they will make more power over other runs. In most cases, its when they reach optimal temp. Some times car just keep building power. Maybe its from VCT, temp, ECU adaptations. there are a bunch of reasons why a car is very capable of making more power run after run. What you look for is two runs that are just about the same in power production. Then when heat starts taking over, you will see the power fall off.

As for the ROW airbox over stock style airbox. I'd save your money if I was you. Its just not worth the fractional (if any at all) gains. Remember I'm reporting a 6whp gain, for a very short time int he Mid range. You would never feel it and its gone before you know it was even there.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Mike, is this still a RENNtech tune but with a new flash for the long-tube headers or is this a completely different brand of software tuning? If so, is it exclusive (in-house) tuning done by DynoComp? The gains look tremendous
Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
MB Forever - MBH posted awhile back that Dyno-Comp and RENNtech had a falling out, to put it mildly. My guess would be that RENNtech has severed ties with Dyno-Comp and vice versa.

MBH - good lookin' power curves, and gains, with your headers and DC software.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
We need affordable, quality, fitting downpipes
Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Mike, is this still a RENNtech tune but with a new flash for the long-tube headers or is this a completely different brand of software tuning? If so, is it exclusive (in-house) tuning done by DynoComp? The gains look tremendous
+1

Since I have their headers and mid-pipes installed it certainly
has my attention.

Mike, can you elaborate on the tune?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

This software was developed in-house by Dyno-Comp. If we build our own headers it only makes scene to use Dyno-Comp for software. Dyno-Comp has been tuning cars in-house for 10 years. Richard (owner, tuner) holds a degree in machanical engineering, He has worked for the Chrysler Corp's Proving grounds out here in AZ. When it comes to tuning he is an extremely gifted person. If anyone ever really wondered how my C55 worked and ran so good. It was because of Rich.

I also say this.. and this is something we don't really talk about, just because its not that important... And Rich is a humble guy. If it wasn't for him there would be two other people holding two spots on dragtimes.com.. One of them being the SL600 record. Then my C55 record. Both record set out here in Arizona. Granted I did beat my old record at Famoso last year. Then there is the G55 record, that we just missed by under a tenth. However that beast has an extra 500lbs of stereo and camera equipment in it... But whatever.

Rich is a master on his dyno, When he relays info on adjustments that need to be made to files, people listen. DC does a tuck load of its own software in-house and also uses other respected tuners as well. It just depends on what the customer wants.

If Richard isn't writing a file himself, we is communicated directly with the person who is.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Cars will have a window when they will make more power over other runs. In most cases, its when they reach optimal temp. Some times car just keep building power. Maybe its from VCT, temp, ECU adaptations. there are a bunch of reasons why a car is very capable of making more power run after run. What you look for is two runs that are just about the same in power production. Then when heat starts taking over, you will see the power fall off.

As for the ROW airbox over stock style airbox. I'd save your money if I was you. Its just not worth the fractional (if any at all) gains. Remember I'm reporting a 6whp gain, for a very short time int he Mid range. You would never feel it and its gone before you know it was even there.
I hear you.

I like running the ROW's because to me that's the airbox AMG had in mind when they designed the car. I mean, obviously, they designed the car equally well with carbon filters, but its seems pretty reasonable to say that if there were no carbon emissions regs, the ROW box would be the airbox of choice out of the available two OEM boxes.

Plus, my car feels like it gains some noticable power in cool and dry weather, running them over stock. Realistically, it would take a dyno with exceptionally strong wind force to generate any where near the amount of airflow seen at driving speeds.

So, if it gains 6whp on the dyno, wouldn't it stand to reason that it would provide an even greater gain on the road.

I think you can feel a 6 or 8 rwhp difference in a car. That's probably the difference we feel between below-average weather and really good weather as our cars adjust for ECT, oil temps, and IAT's.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
MB Forever - MBH posted awhile back that Dyno-Comp and RENNtech had a falling out, to put it mildly. My guess would be that RENNtech has severed ties with Dyno-Comp and vice versa.

MBH - good lookin' power curves, and gains, with your headers and DC software.
Wow, that I did not know...that's what I get for spending less time here. But with so much done (well) in-house at Dyno-Comp it makes a lot of sense. I think all in all a positive development...guess it makes my combo an orphan though. Great stuff Mike and Rich!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you can feel a 6 or 8 rwhp difference in a car.
I think it would depend on the car... it's really a matter of relative differential. I suspect it'd be fairly noticeable to pick up 8 whp in a Mk I GTI. I'd also surmise that it'd be damn near impossible to notice an 8 whp gain in a Veyron.

In this case, you can accurately identify a +/- 1.5-2% change in your C63's WOT output level? That's one sensitive, well-calibrated butt-dyno.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Nice gains, good to see the 6.2 platform in the aftermarket continue to be developed. Look forward to seeing the real world numbers.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bhamg
Wow, that I did not know...that's what I get for spending less time here. But with so much done (well) in-house at Dyno-Comp it makes a lot of sense. I think all in all a positive development...guess it makes my combo an orphan though. Great stuff Mike and Rich!
Well, I might be wrong - it was just a guess on my part. Dynocomp's website still claims "RENNtech's West Coast HQ" - and RENNtech's site still lists Dynocomp as one of their three Arizona dealers... so maybe nothing's changed....

MBH posted something to the effect that Hartmut paid a visit to Dynocomp not long ago, and things got so heated that the police were called... now we have Dynocomp developing their own, in-house AMG tunes instead of using RENNtech; seems like too much of a coincidence (but maybe that's exactly what it is).

Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

here is an other chart. This one has this cars baseline and after Headers, mids, W/resonators (no cats), filters. however I'm not sure what "filters" mean when Rich words this stuff. Does it mean KN's does it mean ROW airbox I've tried to contact him about this but he's laid out on the cough with back issues for the past two days.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBH - is that on 91 octane? 480 rwhp, on a "heartbreaker" DynoDynamics, at +1,300 feet altitude, is phenomenal power. Someone take this car to Speedworld!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I think it would depend on the car... it's really a matter of relative differential. I suspect it'd be fairly noticeable to pick up 8 whp in a Mk I GTI. I'd also surmise that it'd be damn near impossible to notice an 8 whp gain in a Veyron.

In this case, you can accurately identify a +/- 1.5-2% change in your C63's WOT output level? That's one sensitive, well-calibrated butt-dyno.
You're telling me. I feel like my car and my brain are connected. It's the worst.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're telling me. I feel like my car and my brain are connected. It's the worst.

Or best, depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

MBH - is that on 91 octane? 480 rwhp, on a "heartbreaker" DynoDynamics, at +1,300 feet altitude, is phenomenal power. Someone take this car to Speedworld!
91oct my friend. Its all we got out here. The car is on its way to the UAE right now. We didn't knwo if we could get the headers and mids built in time to meet the owners deadline. By looking at the owners back tires. I thing we will see this thing pop up in a you tube video at some point.

As for weather/elevation those sort of things. They are corrected by the dyno. However you can not correct for fuel. You should see it in the summer on our crappy summer blend gas. Man that stuff is JUNK! Even my lawn mower doesn't like it.

EDIT: this is kinda what our customer base is like on Scottsdale. Big powered cars, not interested in racing them. It is what it is. If it was me I would be camping at speedworld for the next T&T night. I heard it got down to +700DA the other night.

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 12-07-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB

Or best, depending on how you look at it.
this is true.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by GHAZAN
We need affordable, quality, fitting downpipes
We have parts coming in the pipeline very very soon. I'm expecting to have a part in my hand tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This software was developed in-house by Dyno-Comp. If we build our own headers it only makes scene to use Dyno-Comp for software. Dyno-Comp has been tuning cars in-house for 10 years. Richard (owner, tuner) holds a degree in machanical engineering, He has worked for the Chrysler Corp's Proving grounds out here in AZ. When it comes to tuning he is an extremely gifted person. If anyone ever really wondered how my C55 worked and ran so good. It was because of Rich.

I also say this.. and this is something we don't really talk about, just because its not that important... And Rich is a humble guy. If it wasn't for him there would be two other people holding two spots on dragtimes.com.. One of them being the SL600 record. Then my C55 record. Both record set out here in Arizona. Granted I did beat my old record at Famoso last year. Then there is the G55 record, that we just missed by under a tenth. However that beast has an extra 500lbs of stereo and camera equipment in it... But whatever.

Rich is a master on his dyno, When he relays info on adjustments that need to be made to files, people listen. DC does a tuck load of its own software in-house and also uses other respected tuners as well. It just depends on what the customer wants.

If Richard isn't writing a file himself, we is communicated directly with the person who is.
Thanks for the explanation Mike....
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thanks for the explanation Mike....
Anytime buddy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBH headers and Dyno-Comp software