Advantages of Charcoal removal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Advantages of Charcoal removal.

I was wondering if those that know, can enlighten those that don't know about the advantages of Charcoal delete from our cars. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...mystified.html
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Helps the car breathe better.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Helps the car sound better too when you add the ROW's and the charcoal delete.

Just take them out when you drive so that you have a more free flowing intake system, then install them real quick when you park and turn your car off so that you can comply with emissions. jk
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
My C63 is bone stock and I noticed ZERO gains doing this. I got a CEL 3 times. I got sick of resetting the ECU and reinstalled them. Maybe this works well for you guys that have tunes?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I got my new ROW air boxes today and they don't even seem to support charcoals.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by NickZag
My C63 is bone stock and I noticed ZERO gains doing this. I got a CEL 3 times. I got sick of resetting the ECU and reinstalled them. Maybe this works well for you guys that have tunes?
I had the same problem when I was stock. Even tuned I had problems. Now I just leave them.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I had the same problem when I was stock. Even tuned I had problems. Now I just leave them.
Interesting... I took mine out and put in the VRP air filters and never had a CEL and I've had it that way for more than one year already.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Mine are removed. Seem to help a bit top end... See my Sig...
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by propain
Just put in my ROWs w/o charcoal... no CEL.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
Originally Posted by andrey_clk55
I got my new ROW air boxes today and they don't even seem to support charcoals.
That's because the Rest Of the World doesn't have to comply with all of the ridiculous EPA/DOT emissions regs that we have in our beauracratic nightmare country. The charcoals are there to prevent some sort of gases leaking out of the engine when the car is parked and not even running. The Mercedes engineers just laugh at how silly this is. There are probably more toxic fumes coming from all the adhesives used in the interior, but the government hasn't figured out a way to put filters over the seats and the dash yet and still let us drive the cars. One of the reasons I love the C63 is that it's a giant middle finger in the face of all the upcoming green/environmental/electric/hybrid future that is being forced on us by the regulatory agencies. Taking out the charcoals is just the icing on the cake of my big "F..You" to the government.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I too tried them on and off at the track and noticed zero difference. However, I still think they may benefit the car a little bit at very high speeds (beyond 120 mph). I wonder if it's causing CELs on newer models but not older models?

Originally Posted by propain
Ouch.... that was a low blow ....... j/k
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Palladin
One of the reasons I love the C63 is that it's a giant middle finger in the face of all the upcoming green/environmental/electric/hybrid future that is being forced on us by the regulatory agencies. Taking out the charcoals is just the icing on the cake of my big "F..You" to the government.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:27 PM

2009 C63 AMG
That's because the Rest Of the World doesn't have to comply with all of the ridiculous EPA/DOT emissions regs that we have in our beauracratic nightmare country. The charcoals are there to prevent some sort of gases leaking out of the engine when the car is parked and not even running. The Mercedes engineers just laugh at how silly this is. There are probably more toxic fumes coming from all the adhesives used in the interior, but the government hasn't figured out a way to put filters over the seats and the dash yet and still let us drive the cars. One of the reasons I love the C63 is that it's a giant middle finger in the face of all the upcoming green/environmental/electric/hybrid future that is being forced on us by the regulatory agencies. Taking out the charcoals is just the icing on the cake of my big "F..You" to the government.
I heard that oil companies here in the US add ethanol to be able to store gasoline longer, which makes the emissions more toxic and in turn warrants more strict EPA controls.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
Double agree even though it cost us $2,100 to "F-off" the government. I alway thank those snooty hybrid owners for buying a gas saving car..........it means more for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:56 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
I alway thank those snooty hybrid owners for buying a gas saving car..........it means more for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM

03 SL55
what are ROWS and where can i get them for my cls63?

Just put in my ROWs w/o charcoal... no CEL.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by kingnash
what are ROWS and where can i get them for my cls63?
They are the airbox tops that are installed on M156's in the "Rest Of the World. They don't have the black lattices that hold the charcoals in place. And they have a larger air inlet opening.

I can't remember where to buy them, but if you search around on this forum there is a thread that provides the website to find them at.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 09-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Which is the best filter...? K and N or what...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Which is the best filter...? K and N or what...
I have only tried the stock AMG paper filters that actually say "AMG" on the orange rubber borders, the Mann paper filters that are also basically OEM paper filters (my dealer's shop foreman said they are the same as the ones that say "AMG" on them, as they look pretty close to the same), and the BMC's.

The BMC's did not leave any oil residue on the MAF's, but I think they affect low-speed throttle response. But, when you mash the throttle with them as a compliment to ROW's the power up top feels stronger. Also, the BMC's are easier to install than the OEM paper filters because the borders of the BMC's are more sturdy and they sit in the filter seat better so it's easier to make sure the airbox tops don't improperly pinch or push down the borders of the filters.

I will try the AFE dry filters next. That would be my choice.

Edit: The reason I will choose the AFE dry filters over the K&N's is because I don't want to risk putting in K&N's that may be a little over-oiled. But, for all I know, K&N's -- like BMC's -- do not leave any oil residue on the MAF's. And even though I like the extra power that I think the BMC's help the engine make, I don't really like the part throttle response that they affect.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 09-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I have only tried the stock AMG paper filters that actually say "AMG" on the orange rubber borders, the Mann paper filters that are also basically OEM paper filters (my dealer's shop foreman said they are the same as the ones that say "AMG" on them, as they look pretty close to the same), and the BMC's.

The BMC's did not leave any oil residue on the MAF's, but I think they affect low-speed throttle response. But, when you mash the throttle with them as a compliment to ROW's the power up top feels stronger. Also, the BMC's are easier to install than the OEM paper filters because the borders of the BMC's are more sturdy and they sit in the filter seat better so it's easier to make sure the airbox tops don't improperly pinch or push down the borders of the filters.

I will try the AFE dry filters next. That would be my choice.

Edit: The reason I will choose the AFE dry filters over the K&N's is because I don't want to risk putting in K&N's that may be a little over-oiled. But, for all I know, K&N's -- like BMC's -- do not leave any oil residue on the MAF's. And even though I like the extra power that I think the BMC's help the engine make, I don't really like the part throttle response that they affect.
Thank you for that response. I have never seen the Mann ones...I am just wondering if I should just keep my K and N and what kind of response people with them have had...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

things with and without wheels
I heard that oil companies here in the US add ethanol to be able to store gasoline longer, which makes the emissions more toxic and in turn warrants more strict EPA controls.
They add ethanol for other reasons, having ethanol in fuel actually shortens the life of the fuel.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Thank you for that response. I have never seen the Mann ones...I am just wondering if I should just keep my K and N and what kind of response people with them have had...
My pleasure.

The Mann filters look almost identical to the filters that come in our cars, but the rubber borders are slightly smaller, same color though. They are considered direct OEM replacements. They're only like $15. But, I did notice when I opened my air boxes last time to clean for sand that one of the corners of the Mann filters had torn, so that was a bummer.