Did a experiment with the C63 today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Did a experiment with the C63 today.

I was at the muffler shop today getting a spacer for my cross member. (MBH is sending me a new one) and I thought how my car would sound like if I didnt have any mufflers. I mean just straight out of my X pipe. So I had the guys loosen up the clamps and drop the mufflers. I sit in the car and start it up....
OMFG!!!
The sound was SSSIIICCCKKKK!!! But beyond loud. I gave it some gas and it sounded like a pissed off grizzly bear that just got woken up. It was just straight out scary, Very throaty (not raspy), and VERY aggressive.
The drone inside the cabin would have killed me. I was on the fence about removing my mufflers and going with a straight through design while using my stock tips. But If it weren't for the drone, and cops pulling me over ever 2 seconds, I would do it.
I think I am losing my mind....

Last edited by _AMG_; 12-22-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I was at the muffler shop today getting a spacer for my cross member. (MBH is sending me a new one) and I thought how my car would sound like if I didnt have any mufflers. I mean just straight out of my X pipe. So I had the guys loosen up the clamps and drop the mufflers. I sit in the car and start it up....
OMFG!!!
The sound was SSSIIICCCKKKK!!! But beyond loud. I gave it some gas and it sounded like a pissed off grizzly bear that just got woken up. It was just straight out scary, Very throaty (not raspy), and VERY aggressive.
The drone inside the cabin would have killed me. I was on the fence about removing my mufflers and going with a straight through design while using my stock tips. But If it weren't for the drone, and cops pulling me over ever 2 seconds, I would do it.
Haha! I did nearly the same thing at the muffler shop. I fired it up with only headers installed
WHAT A SICK SOUND!!! Sounded like a offshore powerboat when i reved it
My dream-setup, but way tooo loud and also sooo illegal in germany...
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c63
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8IqelkCyM revs were only about 3500rpm

i did the exact same thing when i removed my resenators hahah, if only it was legal
Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by albokid718

i did the exact same thing when i removed my resenators hahah, if only it was legal

That's sounds reaaly deep. Insane
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMFG!!!
1. Wear headphones so the drone won't kill you.
2. Tell the cops you have a bad muffler and that you're going to the shop to get it fixed. That will be your reason everytime you get pulled over.

Problem solved! LOL!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
OMFG!!!
The sound of the 63 is very addicting....
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
There's nothing illegal AFAIK about running without mufflers - they aren't part of the emissions system. The law states:

"Section 1030-1036, 13 CCR, were intended to be used by Licensed Muffler Certification Stations as a means of detection if an exhaust system met the requirements of the Muffler Certification Program (When those programs were operational) They specify testing procedures for motor vehicle exhaust noise alone (as opposed to total vehicle noise) This procedure specifies a limit of 95 dB measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, typically at speed of 3000-5000 rpm. It applies only to passenger vehicles. It does not apply to motorcycles or to vehicles over 6000 pounds gross weight."

As long as it isn't above 95 decibels 20 inches behind the car at 3000 rpms.

Last edited by LZH; 12-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by C63Dude
Haha! I did nearly the same thing at the muffler shop. I fired it up with only headers installed
WHAT A SICK SOUND!!! Sounded like a offshore powerboat when i reved it
My dream-setup, but way tooo loud and also sooo illegal in germany...
Haha This is also my dream setup.

Originally Posted by albokid718

Lol that sounds crazy, Very deep. Did you still have your secondary cats?

Originally Posted by JamE55
1. Wear headphones so the drone won't kill you.
2. Tell the cops you have a bad muffler and that you're going to the shop to get it fixed. That will be your reason everytime you get pulled over.

Problem solved! LOL!
Haha I wonder how people would react to me wearing headphones or even earmuffs while driving.
Lol I wish i could get away with that excuse, but they would probably give me a ticket for disturbing the peace.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
The sound of the 63 is very addicting....
VERYYYY, haha.

Originally Posted by LZH
There's nothing illegal AFAIK about running without mufflers - they aren't part of the emissions system. Think about it....how many Harleys out there have ungodly loud exhaust ?
Very true, I agree with you. But cops could be real a-holes about loud exhausts, especially around Burbank, Glendale area. Even though id love to have that setup, i would constantly be looking over my shoulder for cops. lol
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Just get electronic dumps. That's my plan in the spring!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
Just get electronic dumps. That's my plan in the spring!
The guys at the shop were recommending I do the same.