Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
AMG Academy coming to Canada

Guys,

Just a quick post to the boys north of the border. A contact at AMG Academy HQ confirmed that they will be launching the AMG Academy in Canada in summer 2011. I am at Academy event in 3 weeks and will see what info I can get as far as projected dates/locations and will let you know.
Dave
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by harrower
Guys,

Just a quick post to the boys north of the border. A contact at AMG Academy HQ confirmed that they will be launching the AMG Academy in Canada in summer 2011. I am at Academy event in 3 weeks and will see what info I can get as far as projected dates/locations and will let you know.
Dave
Hi,

I got the invitation. 800$ a day for the winter driving (not bad pricing but winter driving...) and something around 1300$ for the summer driving academy.

Can anyone here compare a racing school with these? Took 3 day racing schools twice in my life for about 600-700 each with great teachers and drivers. I don't know I would spend twice as much...
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by chief63
Hi,

I got the invitation. 800$ a day for the winter driving (not bad pricing but winter driving...) and something around 1300$ for the summer driving academy.

Can anyone here compare a racing school with these? Took 3 day racing schools twice in my life for about 600-700 each with great teachers and drivers. I don't know I would spend twice as much...
Hi,

I think that their intention is to import the Euro style program which is 2-3 days, hotel/food and cars as a package vs. the half or 1 day events they have been running as the Performance tour. The events aren't cheap and I have no idea what traditional driving schools charge but there is something to be said for jumping into a SLS for 2-3 days on some great tracks with $1,500 deductible and going for it. I will see what more details I can get if you want.

Dave
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Hi,

I think that their intention is to import the Euro style program which is 2-3 days, hotel/food and cars as a package vs. the half or 1 day events they have been running as the Performance tour. The events aren't cheap and I have no idea what traditional driving schools charge but there is something to be said for jumping into a SLS for 2-3 days on some great tracks with $1,500 deductible and going for it. I will see what more details I can get if you want.

Dave
Do the instructors give you the green flag? I'd be afraid that the instructor/passenger be like "slow it down a bit". Also are the courses for people with no racing experience or they have different groups? Any feedback would be great!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Do the instructors give you the green flag? I'd be afraid that the instructor/passenger be like "slow it down a bit". Also are the courses for people with no racing experience or they have different groups? Any feedback would be great!
Hi,
My experience is that the instructors gauge your abilities and then adjust to put you near the edge of your capabilities. I am not sure how they are North Amercia, but the head of the Academy in Germany is the one setting this up so he will use the Euro structure. We also need to remember that they in the US there is a huge liability issue so they may slow it down some vs. Europe or Canada based on legal requirements. They have 3 levels:

Basic - no track experience - novice
Advanced - some track experience
Pro - must have passed advanced
Masters - your own car run on several tracks over the summer as a competition. This is where you see mainly SLS/SLRs/BS etc.

As far as "slow it down a bit" - here is my in car video at Advanced level - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12cKptdJr20
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi,
My experience is that the instructors gauge your abilities and then adjust to put you near the edge of your capabilities. I am not sure how they are North Amercia, but the head of the Academy in Germany is the one setting this up so he will use the Euro structure. We also need to remember that they in the US there is a huge liability issue so they may slow it down some vs. Europe or Canada based on legal requirements. They have 3 levels:

Basic - no track experience - novice
Advanced - some track experience
Pro - must have passed advanced
Masters - your own car run on several tracks over the summer as a competition. This is where you see mainly SLS/SLRs/BS etc.

As far as "slow it down a bit" - here is my in car video at Advanced level - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12cKptdJr20
That's great info. Nice vid too. I'll look into it a bit more!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrow, do you have a contact for the academy? in the first 5 years with my AMG i was told they were not ready for north American tracks and that unless i wanted to fly to greenland at the time that i was going to have to wait... well 2nd new AMG, 5 years and still no call or emails...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Great infos David!! You should join us in Canada next year for one of the event. :P
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by TRDRunner
Harrow, do you have a contact for the academy? in the first 5 years with my AMG i was told they were not ready for north American tracks and that unless i wanted to fly to greenland at the time that i was going to have to wait... well 2nd new AMG, 5 years and still no call or emails...
Hi,

Are your referring to Canada or US? The US Academy contact details are below:

Tel: 1-800-217-6916
email: info@amgacademy.com

Canada below
Tel: 1-866-577-6232
email: info@mbdrivingacademy.ca

The Academy in the US has been using courses like Laguna Seca and Road Atlanta for some time and this year they have added Limerock as well. Details are unclear as to what tracks they might use in Canada, but will see if I can find out. I would drop them a call/email.

Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by Roswell
Great infos David!! You should join us in Canada next year for one of the event. :P
Hi Meng, just might have to do that. Will await to see dates/locals/price and then will let you know. Would be fun to get a bunch of us together at a single event.

Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Thanks Dave!

I'm rounding up a couple of friends and we're going to do Mont Tremblant in June!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, will see what I get back this time.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by callmiro
Thanks Dave!

I'm rounding up a couple of friends and we're going to do Mont Tremblant in June!
Count me in, let me know when and how much $$$.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

2008 C63
This looks really interesting. However, it'd be nice if they offered a discount if you wanted to use your own vehicle.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
Count me in, let me know when and how much $$$.

Hey Chief.....

Mastering Performance - $1,595

**All courses are subject to 5% GST

These are the dates for Mont Tremblant

MONTREAL
January 29,30,31 - Winter Driving
May 19,20 - Mastering Performance
May 28,29 - Driving Experience
June 4 - Driving Experience
June 6 - Mastering Performance

Mastering Performance

This program is designed for the novice and enthusiast alike. There are no pre-requisites needed to take this course. It is a full day program that is conducted on purpose-built race tracks throughout the country. Registration and breakfast starts at 8:30 am, and the day wraps up at 4:30 pm. Helmets are provided for all participants and are used for most of the day.

The objective of this program is to teach advanced driving techniques and apply them in a race track environment. This is not a "racing" course, it is a High Performance driving course. Drivers will learn advanced techniques and how critical elements such as vision, weight transfer and the use of controls ultimately affect traction and, therefore, the vehicles' behaviour.

The classroom session will cover:

• Seating position
  • Hand position
  • Proper use of the pedals
  • Mirror adjustment
  • Forward vision / cornering vision
  • Vehicle dynamics
  • Cornering techniques
  • Mercedes-Benz technologies

Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Hey Chief.....

Mastering Performance - $1,595

**All courses are subject to 5% GST

These are the dates for Mont Tremblant

MONTREAL
January 29,30,31 - Winter Driving
May 19,20 - Mastering Performance
May 28,29 - Driving Experience
June 4 - Driving Experience
June 6 - Mastering Performance

Mastering Performance

This program is designed for the novice and enthusiast alike. There are no pre-requisites needed to take this course. It is a full day program that is conducted on purpose-built race tracks throughout the country. Registration and breakfast starts at 8:30 am, and the day wraps up at 4:30 pm. Helmets are provided for all participants and are used for most of the day.

The objective of this program is to teach advanced driving techniques and apply them in a race track environment. This is not a "racing" course, it is a High Performance driving course. Drivers will learn advanced techniques and how critical elements such as vision, weight transfer and the use of controls ultimately affect traction and, therefore, the vehicles' behaviour.

The classroom session will cover:

• Seating position
  • Hand position
  • Proper use of the pedals
  • Mirror adjustment
  • Forward vision / cornering vision
  • Vehicle dynamics
  • Cornering techniques
  • Mercedes-Benz technologies
I don't want to sound like a douche, but this is really a novice course... If you are willing to use your own car (which makes more sense than driving a car you'll never drive again), they go for around 500-700$ a week-end, 1595$ is a lot... Let me know if you're interested to get the contact.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
I don't want to sound like a douche, but this is really a novice course... If you are willing to use your own car (which makes more sense than driving a car you'll never drive again), they go for around 500-700$ a week-end, 1595$ is a lot... Let me know if you're interested to get the contact.

To be honest, i would be going there to track an SLS, and hopefully the CL and S with the 5.5 TT and not my own car
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM

To be honest, i would be going there to track an SLS, and hopefully the CL and S with the 5.5 TT and not my own car
I was just saying that on the driving course side, you're not getting much for the money. True that driving an SLS is great...