C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Different size tires than stock - What effect one car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get a GLC43 AMG
Different size tires than stock - What effect one car

I was considering going to Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in size 265-35-18 on rears. I was wondering if this would have any effect on the stability control or ABS computers. I know the speedometer will be off slightly. Anyone who has gone to different size tires than stock can you comment on what effect it has had on your car. Also can the dealership recalibrate the car so speedo will be correct.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG P30 Palladium Silver , Weistec Tune, Weistec Air Filters
I just put 275 35 18 (Rear) Conti DW on mine yesterday. with 255 40 18 Conti DW (front) At 70 (on Speedo) - GPS says 69. Ride is great. Handling in great - nothing wierd. No rubbing (that I know of)
Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by rcs8104
I was considering going to Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in size 265-35-18 on rears. I was wondering if this would have any effect on the stability control or ABS computers. I know the speedometer will be off slightly. Anyone who has gone to different size tires than stock can you comment on what effect it has had on your car. Also can the dealership recalibrate the car so speedo will be correct.

As long as you maintain the correct aspect ratio, you will not have to calibrate anything. The first number is just the width of the tire, the second, is a percentage, if that changes, then yes, you would need to calibrate your speedo.

As for going with a wider tire, when I went got mine, I noticed alot of tramlining/railroading (your tire will follow the contours of the road), its not a issue, just be aware of it, and don't be surprised
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
I just put on 245/275 Continental DW's and love them. It's a bit of a compromise over the Pirelli's. They are harder so they will last longer but they don't hook up quite as fast. The increased width balances that out a bit. So I still spin noticably through first and 2nd but I'm not roasting the tires near as bad as I did with my Pirelli's. My rear's on the Pirelli's only made is 4k miles. (Sigh).