C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Long Term Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Long Term Storage

I will be storing my C63 long term due to upcoming deployment to Iraq. Car will sit approx. 6-7 month at a time. I'm putting a Noah cover on it and slipping in inside a Rhino Shelter bag to try to combat the humidity in my garage. Any other tips on what I should be doing to ensure no major damage, i.e fuel/oil stabilizers? Disconnect battery or leave it connected? Leather treatment? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Keep battery plugged with trickle charger or unplug all together. Fill Tank. You can also put leather treatment lightly as it sits, no harm. I would inlflate tires to optimum. Thats about it. Not much else. Let her chill 'till you get back. Cover is good, thats about it I would say...

I salute you sir for your work. Be safe and get back soon.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
You might want to put your car up on stands so that there aren't any flat spots on the tires.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 PM

'10 c63,'03expedition,ducati999,22'Donzi
first off,thanks for your service.as far as storing goes,go with a trickle charger and run the tank as low as possible and then ad a fuel stabilizer specific for gas w/ethanol.you can find it at west marine.then allow it to run through your entire fuel system for a while.tires will get flat spots if left for that long on ground,so lifting car would be better off if possible.best case scenario would be to let some one you trust drive the car every couple of weeks for a bit.but i figure you already thought of that already.again,thanks and be safe.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Thank you for your service and for defending our country. I hope you return home safely.

I would unplug the battery completely, and cover the car up. The only thing I would worry about is flat spots on the tires, this happens when the car is not driven for a very long period. You can have someone move the car back and forth so this can be prevented.

Last edited by _AMG_; 02-17-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by EROD
I will be storing my C63 long term due to upcoming deployment to Iraq. Car will sit approx. 6-7 month at a time. I'm putting a Noah cover on it and slipping in inside a Rhino Shelter bag to try to combat the humidity in my garage. Any other tips on what I should be doing to ensure no major damage, i.e fuel/oil stabilizers? Disconnect battery or leave it connected? Leather treatment? Thanks in advance.
Hey take care man, nothing in Germany has changed since you left. I would block her up and disconnect the battery.Again, take care.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
PM me. I will make sure you guys are well supported in country.

Sheep
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by FastDonzi
first off,thanks for your service.as far as storing goes,go with a trickle charger and run the tank as low as possible and then ad a fuel stabilizer specific for gas w/ethanol.you can find it at west marine.then allow it to run through your entire fuel system for a while.tires will get flat spots if left for that long on ground,so lifting car would be better off if possible.best case scenario would be to let some one you trust drive the car every couple of weeks for a bit.but i figure you already thought of that already.again,thanks and be safe.
Did you forget to mention filling up after running the stabilizer?
I've always topped off my garage queens to prevent condensation from forming inside the tank.
I even top my car off after starting it every couple weeks--we all know how much that beast likes to drink.

I've always been able to shuffle my cars around enough so I never worried about flat spots.
However, is there any concerns with the suspension if it's left on blocks?
Some cars are not recommended to be stored on blocks, I can't remember if our suspensions are cool with this or not.

EROD thank you for your service and Godspeed.

Last edited by black-clk500; 02-17-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Did you forget to mention filling up after running the stabilizer?
I've always topped off my garage queens to prevent condensation from forming inside the tank.
I even top my car off after starting it every couple weeks--we all know how much that beast likes to drink.

I've always been able to shuffle my cars around enough so I never worried about flat spots.
However, is there any concerns with the suspension if it's left on blocks?
So cars are not recommended to be stored on blocks, I can't remember if our suspensions are cool with this or not.

EROD thank you for your service and Godspeed.

You should definitely fill it up after using the stabilizer! I was actually thinking that he should jack stand it on the frame and not via the suspension jack points. My neighbor does it with his 68 Mustang.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM

C63
Don't worry about it. Just put extra air in the tires and fill it up with gas. I left my car for about 5 months during the summer in a storage locker and started right up when i got back..
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

mercedes c 300
sell it bro value goes down as it seats there

anyways have a safe trip be safe bro
Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
You should definitely fill it up after using the stabilizer! I was actually thinking that he should jack stand it on the frame and not via the suspension jack points. My neighbor does it with his 68 Mustang.
i know, that was the case with gas tanks,to fill them up to the top.that was years ago when there was no ethanol in gas.nowadays the rule is to run it almost down to nothing.ethanol is the worst for long term storage.it separates from the gas very quickly,so its better to have 1 gallon of bad gas vs 16 gallons of bad gas.this subject has been beaten to death in the boating community.this is what I've been doing with my boat in the past few years,and the condensation is far worse when it is sitting outside vs. in a garage where the temps. don't fluctuate as much.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by FastDonzi
i know, that was the case with gas tanks,to fill them up to the top.that was years ago when there was no ethanol in gas.nowadays the rule is to run it almost down to nothing.ethanol is the worst for long term storage.it separates from the gas very quickly,so its better to have 1 gallon of bad gas vs 16 gallons of bad gas.this subject has been beaten to death in the boating community.this is what I've been doing with my boat in the past few years,and the condensation is far worse when it is sitting outside vs. in a garage where the temps. don't fluctuate as much.
really, wow I guess I've been doing it all wrong these years.
Damn corn subsidies

How long will it take for a full tank of gas to empty at idle?
I hate Ethanol
Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM

thats why alot of gas pumps on the water get gas with no ethanol.i try to fill up at those pumps when ever its convenient.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
EROD,

As a retired Marine, I understand your situation and have many deployments under my belt. Many members have the right ideas, fuel stabilizer like Stabil is essential. Store it with as little gas as possibly, just below 1/4 tank. Ensure that you add stabil prior to storing to allow it to run thru your system, then add another just before storing. If your storing your car in a storage space, ensure that you have adequate insurance for worse case scenario. Purchase floor jacks, to take the weight off your suspension components, and tires. You never want to car to sit for 6-7 months on its tires, you will definitely have severe flat spots. Once the steel belts in the tires get bent, they never the same, and never seem to roll right. If your storage space doesn't have a outlet, then remove the battery but do not place the battery on the ground and as the ground acts like a grounding rod. Place the battery on a board of some kind. When you return from deployment purhase a portable charger, just in case. Cover the vehicle with a car cover. Another issues are critters finding their way into your car. I place moth ***** in the engine compartment, they hate that. Ideally if would be preferred to have someone drive the car occassionally, but I can certainly understand you not wanting someone to drive it. And have a safe deployment.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Thanks guys for all the well wishes and advice. Great to be part of the community and can't wait to get back and drive the beast again.

So what is the consensus? Place it on jacks or not? I've always been of the opinion that suspensions are designed to hold a lot of weight up but don't do very well with a lot of weight, i.e wheels, brakes, etc, hanging down. Rear tires are shot and will be replaced upon return so not worried about flat spots there. Fronts could probably outlast another set of rears so it would suck if they were ruined but oh well as long as no damage to suspension is done.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I leave the beast at home but my other "ride" I will be using in Iraq ain't bad I suppose!
Attached Thumbnails Long Term Storage-my-other-ride.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Thanks guys for all the well wishes and advice. Great to be part of the community and can't wait to get back and drive the beast again.

So what is the consensus? Place it on jacks or not? I've always been of the opinion that suspensions are designed to hold a lot of weight up but don't do very well with a lot of weight, i.e wheels, brakes, etc, hanging down. Rear tires are shot and will be replaced upon return so not worried about flat spots there. Fronts could probably outlast another set of rears so it would suck if they were ruined but oh well as long as no damage to suspension is done.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I leave the beast at home but my other "ride" I will be using in Iraq ain't bad I suppose!
Thats on bad *** chopper!!! Is that an Apache?

I would put the car on jacks, unhook the battery and put in fuel stabilizing additive to prevent your fuel from oxidizing. Do those 3 things and you'll be fine.
Ohh ya, cant forget the car cover!!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon

I have had my hands on that ride many times, stay safe down range man.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
If I put it up on jackstands, should I just use the standard lift points or do the jackstands need to go somewhere else? Any damage to frame if I leave it on the stands long term?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

'08 C300 Sport & '09 C63
Guys we have radial tires, flat spots are a thing of the past....unless you has some weird bias-ply old roadster thing going on with your C63
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 AM

C63 AMG
This video might help you http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...-fuel/1288164/ and good luck out there.