Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Keeping 6.2L V8 for Rest of Model Cycle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Keeping 6.2L V8 for Rest of Model Cycle

At one point, it looked as if the Mercedes-Benz's AMG division would phase out its beloved 6.2-liter V8 entirely in favor of the new, more efficient, twin-turbocharged and direct-injected, 5.5-liter V8. But, says Ola Kaellenius, chairman of AMG, it's simply not feasible to package the new engine in the current C-Class chassis, as even with its smaller displacement, the new V8 and its turbos take up considerable real estate in the bay.

For now, he said, only expect to see the biturbo 5.5-liter in cars based on the E-Class and S-Class architecture, which rules it out for both the 2012 C63 and the AMG version of the redesigned SLK.

So we'll get to enjoy the refreshed C63 for a few years to come with the 451-hp/481-hp 6.2-liter, and for 2012, of course, it gets the upgraded (as in no torque converter) MCT seven-speed automatic already used to positive effect in the E63 and 2012 CLS63.

We also spoke briefly with Tobias Moers, head of vehicle development for AMG, who told us the engineering team has dialed back the overly aggressive rebound damping on the C63 and has focused more on getting the compression damping just right -- good to hear because a punishing ride quality is the biggest knock against the current C63.

The AMG team has also fitted new front suspension knuckles and increased negative camber up front. All of the bushings, in both front and rear, are revised as well, though Moers wouldn't get any more specific other than to say that they're new. The fine print here, though, is almost certainly that AMG is trying to make the C63 a little less hot to handle on the limit, as the current car tends to abruptly transition from understeer to oversteer -- pushy-loose in our own Chris Walton's clinical terminology.

"If you get on the throttle too early, it goes sideways," Moers offered, "which is very funny, but..." Yep, maybe not so good for the customer who takes his $65K toy to a local track day.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...del-cycle.html
Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Well the engine part was already known, but interesting to hear some more about the new suspension.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Damn, you beat me to it on the post, but it's good news never the less. Now, will it be safe to say that the new C63 BS Coupe will have the M156 too?

Sheep
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
It's funny how AMG talks about track days when they won't warranty any part that breaks in one...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by chief63
It's funny how AMG talks about track days when they won't warranty any part that breaks in one...
They won't warranty a part that breaks?

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 03-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
They won't warranty a part that breaks?
While not knowing exactly what he's referring to, the warranty likely has an exclusion clause limiting the manufacturer's exposure for track usage and part failure.

Not unlike how your comprehensive auto insurance policy would not pay you a dime if you crashed your car at a track day.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
For the record, its mostly the lawyers talking when it comes to exclusions, however, if you tell them it broke at the track, your an idiot

As for insurance, yeah, you wreck, you are screwed. I have heard of people (my friend is an instructor at Summit Point in WVA) of people wrecking, then paying cash to tow truck drivers to tow the car a couple of hundred miles from the track, and then claiming insurance (mind you, towing costs can exceed $500+ easily)... It's not legal, but that does not mean people don't still do it
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
For the record, its mostly the lawyers talking when it comes to exclusions, however, if you tell them it broke at the track, your an idiot

As for insurance, yeah, you wreck, you are screwed. I have heard of people (my friend is an instructor at Summit Point in WVA) of people wrecking, then paying cash to tow truck drivers to tow the car a couple of hundred miles from the track, and then claiming insurance (mind you, towing costs can exceed $500+ easily)... It's not legal, but that does not mean people don't still do it
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of all performance car manufacturer's telling you a car is made for the track but never to take it on one. If you do, they will assume no responsibility if it breaks.

So my car is made for the track but if I go on one, and it breaks, you won't repair it? That's the reality of all performance cars. All ads show guys driving like crazy on closed public roads, when the hell does that happen? Nobody here is kind enough to close public roads for me.

For the insurance part, if you just track as an amateur and total your car, you deserve to pay for it. It's not a race, there are no podiums, no trophies, no cash, nothing to win. If you crash you did not understand what its about. In all big crashes I've seen, the people who did crash were driving like idiots when the conditions were poor... I suggest to everyone who likes cars to take driving courses and I guarantee you will never get into a serious crash in your entire lifetime. I also suggest taking them every time you change cars, a great way to learn the limit of your new ride.

If you feel people around you are driving recklessly on the track, find another lapping group with more mature people that have nothing to prove.

AMG should organize FREE driving courses for all new owners, how about it? Would be a great competitive edge and socially responsible.

Last edited by chief63; 03-01-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of all performance car manufacturer's telling you a car is made for the track but never to take it on one. If you do, they will assume no responsibility if it breaks.

So my car is made for the track but if I go on one, and it breaks, you won't repair it? That's the reality of all performance cars. All ads show guys driving like crazy on closed public roads, when the hell does that happen? Nobody here is kind enough to close public roads for me.

For the insurance part, if you just track as an amateur and total your car, you deserve to pay for it. It's not a race, there are no podiums, no trophies, no cash, nothing to win. If you crash you did not understand what its about. In all big crashes I've seen, the people who did crash were driving like idiots when the conditions were poor... I suggest to everyone who likes cars to take driving courses and I guarantee you will never get into a serious crash in your entire lifetime. I also suggest taking them every time you change cars, a great way to learn the limit of your new ride.

If you feel people around you are driving recklessly on the track, find another lapping group with more mature people that have nothing to prove.

AMG should organize FREE driving courses for all new owners, how about it? Would be a great competitive edge and socially responsible.
+1 on all of that... I've been tracking cars (lapping and Solo) for the last 12 years and you can learn a lot from your car. I never crashed but have seen stupid person crash...
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM

S4
Actually, I think they've recently started doing it... Here's a recently received e-mail...

Dear AMG Enthusiast,

To unleash the driver within, the purchase of your new AMG vehicle entitles you to a complimentary invitation for a one-day program at the world renowned performance driving school – AMG Driving Academy (retail value $1,595).

This gift lets you personally experience the excitement of motorsports and the racetrack capabilities of Mercedes-AMG high-performance luxury vehicles, including the coveted SLS AMG ‘Gullwing’, at some of the most exciting racetracks in the U.S. - Laguna Seca Raceway (Monterey, CA), Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA) and Lime Rock Park (Lime Rock, CT).

This new owner benefit encompasses an intense one-day track program that focuses on performance driving dynamics. Under the guidance of top professional instructors, the AMG Driving Academy teaches the fundamentals of car control maneuvers using customized exercises and progresses to a set of high-speed exercises that make use of the entire track.

Last edited by asm777; 03-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
AMG was not talking about track days, that line was from the article's writer, not in the quotes.

AMG now provides the AMG Driving Experience for new AMG owners. (as of 2011 model year, I think) So, check that. But really, why does a car company need to be "socially responsible"? The responsibility for operating the vehicle lies with the person behind the wheel. This mentality is why we now have cars that brake for us, steer for us, and watch our blind spots for us. If you don't want to drive, or can't freakin operate a car and give it your full attention, then TAKE THE BUS.

(I know you're a track guy Chief, this isn't aimed at you.) I just don't like it when people blame..... ahhh..... never mind... where's my beer.... good night.

p.s. LONG LIVE THE M156!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
AMG was not talking about track days, that line was from the article's writer, not in the quotes.

AMG now provides the AMG Driving Experience for new AMG owners. (as of 2011 model year, I think) So, check that. But really, why does a car company need to be "socially responsible"? The responsibility for operating the vehicle lies with the person behind the wheel. This mentality is why we now have cars that brake for us, steer for us, and watch our blind spots for us. If you don't want to drive, or can't freakin operate a car and give it your full attention, then TAKE THE BUS.

(I know you're a track guy Chief, this isn't aimed at you.) I just don't like it when people blame..... ahhh..... never mind... where's my beer.... good night.

p.s. LONG LIVE THE M156!
Cool stuff. They do offer the AMG Academy but the price is ridiculous compared to other licensed courses. If its free for new owners, that's a good idea!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Wait, wait...I think the gem of this story is that the new SLK AMG will be getting the 63 motor? Or is that old news?

Unless the new SLK gained a lot of weight, a SLK63 would be *quite* a monster, no?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
A benefit to keeping the M156, is that more aftermarket folks can create more parts for the platform.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Cool stuff. They do offer the AMG Academy but the price is ridiculous compared to other licensed courses. If its free for new owners, that's a good idea!
Agreed! Their courses seem fairly basic. Anyone who goes to the track regularly would probably skip the AMG Academy.... unless you wanted to go surprise some noobs and maybe powow with Tommy Kendall

Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Wait, wait...I think the gem of this story is that the new SLK AMG will be getting the 63 motor? Or is that old news?

Unless the new SLK gained a lot of weight, a SLK63 would be *quite* a monster, no?
That would be awesome....
Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
That would be awesome....
That would be scary.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
As much as I love the 63N/A engine, the little C63 would be mind altering with the monster 5.5TT engine. Infinitely easier and cheaper to modify for stupid power.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Good. I love my M156 6.2 liter powerhouse!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30

I've read that the new Slk55 will have the small 5.5L NA motor pushing 420+hp.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.

I think they heard the SLK AMG would be getting the 5.5L Turbo! Imagine all that HP and torque in a small car like the SLK!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I've read that the new Slk55 will have the small 5.5L NA motor pushing 420+hp.
I also thought I had seen this written somewhere in a press release. If so, I need to figure out how to get my C55 there

Probably a lot of internal revisions though or completely different engine M273

Last edited by Viper98912; 03-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
From what I've heard the SLK AMG will be getting a 5.5L NA motor pushing 420+hp also. It will be a fun car to be sure..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
M156 confirmed for the C63 Coupe here -> http://www.mercedes-benz.nl/content/...amg_model.html