Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Exhaust thermal wraps?

Anybody try it?
Haven't seen anybody use this on a C63. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Anytime you can conserve heat its a good thing. However on a naturally aspirated car its not near as important other that shielding the heat from becoming destructive more than anything else.

On a turbocharged application is where it truly shines. More heat in the exhaust gas = higher gas velocity and quicker spool up.

In my honest opinion if you are going to do it spend the money and have the parts coated in ceramic by a reputable company. I have messed with the "Header Wrap" and regardless of how well its put on it will be falling off and dragging the ground when exposed to the elements over time.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by AMGFTW
Anytime you can conserve heat its a good thing. However on a naturally aspirated car its not near as important other that shielding the heat from becoming destructive more than anything else.

On a turbocharged application is where it truly shines. More heat in the exhaust gas = higher gas velocity and quicker spool up.

In my honest opinion if you are going to do it spend the money and have the parts coated in ceramic by a reputable company. I have messed with the "Header Wrap" and regardless of how well its put on it will be falling off and dragging the ground when exposed to the elements over time.
Partly correct with respect to NA engines. You will still have heat soak conditions, and while composite intakes and shielding has helped, reducing underhood temperatures can improve performance, especially driving around town. Some of you guys are at dragstrips and that's where it helps. Out here, I might be driving for 2 hours at 5000rpm on the Autobahn. That generates lots of heat that is removed while driving, but coming to a bottleneck in traffic, or taking a break, the engine's components continue rising in temps slightly, as does the coolant. There is also no ability to shed heat from the manifolds and that soaks into the engine's components. Reducing heat would be good and I recommend a coating because the wraps are terrible. Not designed for a car that is a driver. Maybe a track car, but they also hold elements and make things underneath look horrid.