Factory Warranty Voided

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
Factory Warranty Voided

Hello MBWorld C63 AMG owners.

I am a new owner of this machine and I have been reading all of your threads and post religiously for weeks. I have learned a lot and think I am ready to start throwing some performance enhancing goodies on it. I cant believe that I am wanting more power when frankly the stock rear tires cannot even handle the power it has from the factory already I am going to upgrade the wheels and tires soon but before I get carried away I have some questions that I wasnt able to find with the forum search function.

1. How much leeway on average does Mercedes or the Dealership give you on modifications before they void your factory warranty? Im considering taking Eurocharged up on there ECU flash upgrade. I believe I spoke with Jerry today on the phone to set up an appointment.

2. I want to put some 19" forgeline wheels sized 8.5" front and 9.5" rear with 245/35 19 Michelin PS2 and 275/30 19 Michelin PS2 tires. What are the offsets on this set-up needed to snug them under the factory suspension and lips without modification? I spoke with forgeline the other day and they were not completely sure about the set up.

Thank you to anyone that can help me out with these questions.

Last edited by CELLryuu; 03-02-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
They won't void it unless you give them a reason too from some engine failure. Then all bets off with tunes and bigger mods (headers,etc).
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
If you happen to visit the service department for a major engine issue, and it was determined that the tune you installed had screwed up the engine, then yes they could void the warranty, or not cover the car or engine part.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Gonna vary dealer by dealer for "minor" issues, but an ECU tune and any major engine problems are going to result in pain for you...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The bottom line is that MB will have to prove that the tune screwed up the engine.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
And they

Can if fuel maps, timing,fuel pulse width, speed limiters etc have been altered
it will all be stored in retained data in the ECU.
MB approved tuners sold out of authorized dealers Get A hall pass so most of them are covered.
Ya pays your money ya takes your chances

Can't help with the offsets on 19's 50 front and 54 rear is a starting point for 18's 19's with different width will vary that. so if you can trial fit be sure to do so.
Contact Luke at the Tirerack in the tires section of the forum. He usually has the right info
or he will locate it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Car explodes, flash the ECU back to stock, bring to dealer.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Just remember that when you take your car in for service, don't brag about how you got a tune from Jerry and it has 50-60 more wheel horse power. That usually wouldn't be a smart thing to do. lol
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Never mention anything about mods. If they ask why the car is so awesome, tell them it's a factory freak.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What you really have to watch out for is bringing your car in for routine repairs and maintenance that are NOT related to your mods.

Many dealers will note the mods on your car's history when they happen upon them during diagnostics or inspection. Then if you DO have a problem that is mod-related, they already can prove you had your car modified and can deny the claim.

Sure they ultimately have to prove that the claim they're denying was mod-related, but who wants to go through that hassle?

Find a dealer that is mod friendly and does not do that, and be prepared to go back to stock whenever needed. And most importantly, if you can reflash to stock with an on-board tool or laptop every time you go in, that's great. Because a modified ECU is almost always noted.

Bruce
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

2010 C63, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by propain
+1
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by BruceM
What you really have to watch out for is bringing your car in for routine repairs and maintenance that are NOT related to your mods.

Many dealers will note the mods on your car's history when they happen upon them during diagnostics or inspection. Then if you DO have a problem that is mod-related, they already can prove you had your car modified and can deny the claim.

Sure they ultimately have to prove that the claim they're denying was mod-related, but who wants to go through that hassle?

Find a dealer that is mod friendly and does not do that, and be prepared to go back to stock whenever needed. And most importantly, if you can reflash to stock with an on-board tool or laptop every time you go in, that's great. Because a modified ECU is almost always noted.

Bruce

It's a good point - when they plug your car into Star and run a full diagnostic, it stores all the firmware versions on most of the control units. At least some of that data get's passed back to FDOK. I actually had a telematics update applied to my '350, and MB "noted" that whilst FDOK suggested an upgrade it was already upgraded....

ECU stores last flash date, so that would probably be an entertaing conversation. "So, your engine exploded on Saturday the 5th, but your ECU was flashed on Sunday the 6th. Let's go sit in the "you screwed" room."

Last edited by UK-C200; 03-03-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Just remeber ecu was openend up soflashing back to stock showed stock file now explain why ecu was opened up!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by ohlord
Can't help with the offsets on 19's 50 front and 54 rear is a starting point for 18's 19's with different width will vary that. so if you can trial fit be sure to do so.
Contact Luke at the Tirerack in the tires section of the forum. He usually has the right info or he will locate it.
Thank you for lead on the info man Luke. I really appreciate it

LOL, hopefully that doesnt happen

It looks like there have been very few problems with ECU flashing from what ive read on this forum and any problem has been very minor and easily correctable. Ive concluded that most everyone would tell me that modifications form popular tuning companies on this forum are very safe and reliable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for everyone that helped (I love that bowing smiley)
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just called to my AMG Master Tech, this was his comment.
"Yes that will. Any tampering of the design of the vehicle can void the manufacturers warranty. If MB is notified of such changes they will issue a status 8 which will remove all warranty but let's say the car comes in for a climate control issue a call can be placed to MB and they can warranty items that were not related to the mods."
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by dodger63
Just remeber ecu was openend up soflashing back to stock showed stock file now explain why ecu was opened up!
but I just wanted to see what was in this shiny little box.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by JeffDL
but I just wanted to see what was in this shiny little box.
I would just do this...

"I dont know why it was opened up." "Whats an ECU?"

Chances are if the file comes up stock they will have no reason to check if it was opened...

who knows... who cares... when I start seeing people say their warranty got voided from a tune ill worry.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM

c200k
Simply buy a second ECU. One is stock, one is a mod. Sell the ecu when the warranty runs out. Use it when going in for service.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
I still think https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-warranty.html is the best post out there for people curious about modding warranty cars.

I know it's a little self-serving, but still. You should - at least - download the warranty (at the link) and take a read at EXACTLY what MB's take is.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by sknight
Simply buy a second ECU. One is stock, one is a mod. Sell the ecu when the warranty runs out. Use it when going in for service.
^ seems expensive and a PITA, and you risk bent pins, etc. and damage to the car and ECU.

Also totally self-serving, but a Block Tuner from Speedriven or OE Tuning is the way to go.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...r-s63-amg.html
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Speedriven

Very nice article
I think one member missed the point, he says when he hears about warranty issues and tunes. It's not the tune it's the broken parts that sometimes occur when modded power upgrades strain a warranted part.

When you have a great product and support the forum as much as you guys do
it's fine to be a bit totally self-serving

Hey while here
Great article on the main forum about your efforts on the Compressed Natural Gas Benz. Plug it into the nat gas compressor at night,smoke the record books by day
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Very nice article
I think one member missed the point, he says when he hears about warranty issues and tunes. It's not the tune it's the broken parts that sometimes occur when modded power upgrades strain a warranted part.

Hey while here
Great article on the main forum about your efforts on the Compressed Natural Gas Benz. Plug it into the nat gas compressor at night,smoke the record books by day
Wow! Thanks for the ringing endorsement and kind words. (who do I make the check out to, again?)

Seriously, thank you. It's rough trying to get a new business off the ground, and we have been SO lucky these past few months to have great clients and interesting projects to show off on.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Very nice article

Hey while here

This point I missed. Are you saying only replaced hardware power mods would void the stock warrantied parts?

The point I was making if you were refering to me, was that I have never heard of anyone having mechanical failure in their C63 and having MB void their warranty for the sole reason the tuned ECU caused the warrantied part to malfunction or break.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Speedriven
^ seems expensive and a PITA, and you risk bent pins, etc. and damage to the car and ECU.

Also totally self-serving, but a Block Tuner from Speedriven or OE Tuning is the way to go.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...r-s63-amg.html

Interesting. Is this method possible if you didnt use this method when you first cracked your ECU or new tunes only? I like the idea of switching between stock and tuned on the fly also.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Speedriven
I have never heard of anyone having mechanical failure in their C63 and having MB void their warranty for the sole reason the tuned ECU caused the warrantied part to malfunction or break.
I have seen a car get "status 8" while in service in Sarasota because it had a tuner's badge on it when it came in for regular service. Whatever the underlying issues were, I do not know - I can only assume, however, that either the tuner or owner in question had somehow crossed the regional rep and was paying the penalty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty Voided