C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Advantages of having LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Advantages of having LSD?

Many of the used c63's I'm looking at don't have LSD. What are the major advantages? I live in So Cal, and probably won't be driving in rain/bad weather. I also plan on modifying the c63 (tune, headers, exhaust etc) so It won't be stock power. Should I make it a point to have LSD? Or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Have you ever made a turn and wanted to put the power down, but all you're doing is spinning the inside tire? Power is put down more efficiently. IMHO, a LSD should be one of the first things you do before any power upgrades. Plus, you won't look silly doing a 1 wheel burn out. lol
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Have you ever made a turn and wanted to put the power down, but all you're doing is spinning the inside tire? Power is put down more efficiently. IMHO, a LSD should be one of the first things you do before any power upgrades. Plus, you won't look silly doing a 1 wheel burn out. lol
+1

If you dont have an LSD, you dont have a sports car. and lol at 1 wheel burn outs
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by stangxs
Many of the used c63's I'm looking at don't have LSD. What are the major advantages? I live in So Cal, and probably won't be driving in rain/bad weather. I also plan on modifying the c63 (tune, headers, exhaust etc) so It won't be stock power. Should I make it a point to have LSD? Or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!
Just bring it down to us after you pick up your c63 and let us put an LSD in for you.

James@ACG
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
Just bring it down to us after you pick up your c63 and let us put an LSD in for you.

James@ACG

What does it cost? and how long does it usually take?

What else do you guys do? Tunes?

I live in Huntington Beach, but I'm in SD at least once a month on the weekends.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
What does it cost? and how long does it usually take?

What else do you guys do? Tunes?

I live in Huntington Beach, but I'm in SD at least once a month on the weekends.
We do Oil changes to superchargers on the C63. We have the flashing station here so that you can have your vehicle tuned same day.

the quaife unit is $1750 out the door, price includes sales tax, install kit and labor.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!

James@ACG
+1, get the car you like and if it doesn't have the LSD, take it to James -- a highly recommended and very professional vendor.

FWIW, my '08 without a LSD lays two strips of rubber. (So did my '02 Civic with FWD and 120hp, with a good clutch dump)
I think the one wheel peel notion comes from the 60's muscle cars without a POSI rear end...
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
We do Oil changes to superchargers on the C63. We have the flashing station here so that you can have your vehicle tuned same day.

the quaife unit is $1750 out the door, price includes sales tax, install kit and labor.

Good to know. Hopefully picking one up soon. If I do end up getting one without LSD, I'll definitely take it down there for that + an ECU tune. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM

09 C63
you dont need an lsd. a road course is the only place its gonna make a difference and only if your last name is schumacher.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
I'm doing fine without the LSD since two years and I drive the car pretty hard.
Gotta admit though, I don't track it very often and it has no serious go-fast mods.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by Savoy6
you dont need an lsd. a road course is the only place its gonna make a difference and only if your last name is schumacher.
This is true.

And having tracked 2 different S2000's, one without a LSD and one with an aftermarket LSD, IMO it is trickier to drive the LSD equipped car out of the corners. Yes you can use that power to to get through and out of the corner faster but you have to know how to
Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
Originally Posted by olszowa12
I'm doing fine without the LSD since two years and I drive the car pretty hard.
Gotta admit though, I don't track it very often and it has no serious go-fast mods.

but can you do perfect burnouts like me ?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
At the track after the tires warm up a bit I was having some issues with not getting a proper burnout. But honestly I think it only messed up 1 run where I spun so much I stopped the run.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
LSD is not a MUST. It's just an extra addition like all other options. Depends what you want out of the car. Either way, it's cool.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
LSD is not a MUST. It's just an extra addition like all other options. Depends what you want out of the car. Either way, it's cool.

It's a must if you drive in the city and like to power out of those turns without losing momentum because 1 wheel is spinning too much and traction kills the power. That's just from my experience.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Jeffield
but can you do perfect burnouts like me ?
No but I can drift the car perfectly even without the LSD
Burnouts away from a dragstrip are no fun.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
It's a must if you drive in the city and like to power out of those turns without losing momentum because 1 wheel is spinning too much and traction kills the power. That's just from my experience.
I can see what you are saying...but seriously, trying to drive all hot and heavy in city streets, especially where I currently live where there are cops are hiding in every tree like a monkey, it's near impossible and frustrating to get some exciting driving in. I almost LONG for a small stretch, a non-trafficked road, a stone-less curve that I could let her rip. I am waiting to hit the track here soon. It really is best on the track, and even then some of the pros have stated that its a iffy necessity. I can understand if you are doing sharp corners ALL THE TIME and getting a rush out of it, or burnouts and your girl looks at you and mouths the words "your hot big boy", thats cool. But I get the idea that for a majority of people its more a " I have it and you don't" option that really never sees the beef of its meaning.

I don't know, just my thoughts...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I can see what you are saying...but seriously, trying to drive all hot and heavy in city streets, especially where I currently live where there are cops are hiding in every tree like a monkey, it's near impossible and frustrating to get some exciting driving in. I almost LONG for a small stretch, a non-trafficked road, a stone-less curve that I could let her rip. I am waiting to hit the track here soon. It really is best on the track, and even then some of the pros have stated that its a iffy necessity. I can understand if you are doing sharp corners ALL THE TIME and getting a rush out of it, or burnouts and your girl looks at you and mouths the words "your hot big boy", thats cool. But I get the idea that for a majority of people its more a " I have it and you don't" option that really never sees the beef of its meaning.

You're like a modern poet.

I'll admit I want an LSD. But, I don't track the car on a road course and with DR's I hear I can do fine at the 1/4 mile strip. So, maybe next year, but for now, I'll just have to leave it to chance whether one or two wheels spin on a given street launch.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Originally Posted by propain
At the track after the tires warm up a bit I was having some issues with not getting a proper burnout. But honestly I think it only messed up 1 run where I spun so much I stopped the run.

You ran an 11.5 with just a tune and filter?? Damn, impressive!

So a car with or without LSD can practically launch the same, is my main concern? (on a dry street)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Really.....I cant believe what im reading. I sold a G35 with a non lsd rear end and I do not agree with lsd not being a must. My mustang gt was a blast with the lsd....dont recommend that car though (creeks and rattles drove me nuts)

anyway, i swore i would never get a non lsd rear end after selling the G35. the C63 with the lsd feals more planted comparably, and it has 150 more lb/ft of torque.

I know that the G35 and the C63 are apples and oranges, but I'd much rather have the lsd than not.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CELLryuu
Really.....I cant believe what im reading. I sold a G35 with a non lsd rear end and I do not agree with lsd not being a must. My mustang gt was a blast with the lsd....dont recommend that car though (creeks and rattles drove me nuts)

anyway, i swore i would never get a non lsd rear end after selling the G35. the C63 with the lsd feals more planted comparably, and it has 150 more lb/ft of torque.

I know that the G35 and the C63 are apples and oranges, but I'd much rather have the lsd than not.
Did you buy your C63 with LSD?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Did you buy your C63 with LSD?
no, i didnt even think about it when i bought it, but i sure do now.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM

2011 C63 P31
Don't know much about LSD, but when I went from a G35 6MT coupe with LSD to a M45 sedan, I noticed that the M45 felt a lot less planted on rough city streets during acceleration from a deadstop. Not sure if that was a result of a lack of LSD, but I cannot think of any other reason as the rears tires were exactly the same size and width, and the G35 coupe couldn't have been heavier than the big M45 sedan.

Question for the experts: Does an LSD help in the scenario I mentioned above (launches on relatively uneven city roads)? If it does, I would consider it a must have as I hate loss of traction when I am launching the car on anything but the smoothest of the roads. It is hard enough to launch the C63 as it is!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your assumption is that I floor the car at every corner, but I've spun the inside rear from even moderate throttle inputs. My traction control was blinking like a christmas tree and cutting off power to control wheel spin. With the LSD installed, the car is now more driveable as it allows mild wheel spin and transfer of power to the outside wheel without much traction control interference. I guess I should be happy that I don't live in shytown, because the cops haven't bothered me so far. I don't live in an area with too many long straights, but when there is, I'm sure to open up the throttle. With that being said, the car should have came with an LSD as a standard feature to begin. I had it on my Comptech Supercharged S2k, I'm glad I have it on my C63.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
You ran an 11.5 with just a tune and filter?? Damn, impressive!

So a car with or without LSD can practically launch the same, is my main concern? (on a dry street)
Thanks.

Yes, no LSD. I didn't have any problems at all. Dodger (Mike) has the fastest non NOS with a 10.7 and he doesn't have an LSD.

I didn't test out any street tire launches however.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advantages of having LSD?