C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

First major scratch on Magno paint!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
First major scratch on Magno paint!

For those of you who are thinking about getting Magno paint (Designo), here is something to make you think twice... just noticed this afternoon a major scratch/dinged sheetmetal on the passenger door of my car. It looks like a bumper scratch (correct height) that could happen in a parking lot... It is roughly 2 ft long and very apparent once the car is cleaned up (which I just did to evaluate the dammage). there is a "V" indentation in the sheetmetal as well.

To make things worst, my stepbrother, thinking he was doing the right thing, rubbed the scratch with a towel to "buff it" out. Now the finish is damaged too! The matte effect is gone on a surface about 1 ft by 2 ft!

It looks like ****! I'm really pissed of at the person who did it... and a bit also at my stepbrother for making it worst than it was at the beginning (it could have been OK without the luster difference)!!

I will try to pass by the dealer at the beginning of the week to see what are the options but I'm guessing a repaint of the entire door (vs car? to make it match) is going to be the only option. I cant see hoewthey can reproduce the exact finish by just repainting the door. mucho dolares involved!

If it needs a complete repaint, I will consider not getting the matte paint and getting something more classic (paladium silver maybe).

So just think twice about those color options because even if you are careful as hell (I always park at the end of the parking lot), others aren't and it will eventually get scratched...

It looks awesome until you get a significant scratch!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Ouch, Sorry to hear bout that. Can you provide us with a pic so we can see the damage?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM

2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I tried to take a picture but it does not show up... it's mainly a luster difference so it's quite hard to catch with a camera. with the "naked" eye it's quite obvious... as for the scratch it's not that apparent but the whole areal being of a different luster, it brings the attention to it... my wife says "no big deal it's almost not apparent" but since I know it's there I can't help but look at it! Being at the beginning of a 3 year lease, it's going to be a long time starring at that door if I don't get it fixed...
Old 04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by kart125
I tried to take a picture but it does not show up... it's mainly a luster difference so it's quite hard to catch with a camera. with the "naked" eye it's quite obvious... as for the scratch it's not that apparent but the whole areal being of a different luster, it brings the attention to it... my wife says "no big deal it's almost not apparent" but since I know it's there I can't help but look at it! Being at the beginning of a 3 year lease, it's going to be a long time starring at that door if I don't get it fixed...
I know what you mean. Just knowing something is there on my car makes me think about it too much. But lately, I dont even stress about it anymore.

As for regaining the matte finish back, I would not use any type of compound, wax, cleaners, etc of any kind. I would keep washing the car with soap and water until the matte finish returns.
It sounds like your step brother used a wax or compound of some sort that altered the luster, rubbing the paint with a regular towel wont do this.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
IMO it is possible to repaint only the door. I'm sure my MB dealership would handle it. How old is your car? a few weeks?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Sorry to hear that! That would really bother me and obvious it does you! Get it fixed/repainted. If I know I'm going to have to go some place and there is no other way around having to park close to other vehicles then I'll take my second car. I don't care as much if it gets scratched or door dinged. Something you might want to consider. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Sorry that happened to you. I've been there a few times myself and know what it feels like. Have you considered showing it to a paintless dent removal service first? If it's just slightly dented and the paint is not broken, they might be able to fix it.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Take it to AutoLux. Nowhere else!! They will have to paint and blend, but it will come out fine. The MB Authorized repair shops have the info from MB on how to properly repair MAGNO - don't sweat it.

http://www.autoluxmbcollision.com
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
sorry to hear about your problem--that is the #1 reason why I will never own a matte finish.
Unless it's a vinyl wrap matte it is crazy for an "actual" car to be painted this way IMO.
Show cars and concept cars are cool painted this way, but a car that sees real life as an automobile is tough to keep up as a matte paint.
No way of buffing out blemishes and impossible touch-ups, no thanks.

I think a body shop can do just the door panel and it will be fine--just make sure your car is not the first matte pain they've done
I'm sure it can be fixed and you'll never know, just bring it to the best guy you can find.

BTW don't be too pissed at your stepbrother--I know how special these cars are to us, but people are always more important than things.
GL--keep us updated
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
"I know how special these cars are to us, but people are always more important than things." - +1
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 AM

AMG
To make things worst, my stepbrother, thinking he was doing the right thing, rubbed the scratch with a towel to "buff it" out. Now the finish is damaged too! The matte effect is gone on a surface about 1 ft by 2 ft!
Never try to wax or sand matte paint or matte wrap.
You will have to use special products for this kind of paints.
Check Swissvax "Opaque" lineup for this.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
what a problem !!!!!

now im scared because i ordered the new CLS63 BiTurbo Matte Manganatic (Grey). i think it will be PITA to paint it back and i recall their are some instructions even how to wash it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C 63 AMG (palladium Silver); 2018 E400 4matic Coupe (Pearl White)
It sucks to have happened. But that is a fact for daily use cars. My advise is to take wrap it with Matt Lamination (protection coat) that will protect the paint and maintain the matt finish of your car. I am in the process of wrapping my car with matt lamination on palladium silver. It is coming out GREAT and looks almost identical to the allanite grey matt finish with no fear of scratches.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM

c63
For those of you who are thinking about getting Magno paint (Designo), here is something to make you think twice... just noticed this afternoon a major scratch/dinged sheetmetal on the passenger door of my car. It looks like a bumper scratch (correct height) that could happen in a parking lot... It is roughly 2 ft long and very apparent once the car is cleaned up (which I just did to evaluate the dammage). there is a "V" indentation in the sheetmetal as well.

It looks like ****! I'm really pissed of at the person who did it... and a bit also at my stepbrother for making it worst than it was at the beginning (it could have been OK without the luster difference)
I will try to pass by the dealer at the beginning of the week to see what are the options but I'm guessing a repaint of the entire door (vs car? to make it match) is going to be the only option. I cant see hoewthey can reproduce the exact finish by just repainting the door. mucho dolares involved!

If it needs a complete repaint, I will consider not getting the matte paint and getting something more classic (paladium silver maybe).

So just think twice about those color options because even if you are careful as hell (I always park at the end of the parking lot), others aren't and it will eventually get scratched...

It looks awesome until you get a significant scratch!
dont stress my friend i have personally painted and repaired 2 of these c63 matt paints and the car looked like it had never been dented , dont know what paint they use in the usa but we use glasurit water base paint and they make a special matt clear for these cars , just take it to the best and fussyest paint shop you can find ,this is a job that has to be done by a perfectionest
The following users liked this post:
Surge (06-07-2019)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Euro Cars Only
Few years ago I purchased an ML with Designo paint and I learned my lesson as well. The car was scratched while parked outside, I went straight to the stealership to hear that the entire car had to be repainted and they quoted me 14'000CHf which is basically the same amount in $. I said hell no!! Was having too many issues with the car anyway so got rid of it within a week.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by elijah
Few years ago I purchased an ML with Designo paint
Strange - designo paint isn't available through the Alabama plant. What was it that you ordered?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
That sucks but these things happen. You could park the car and never drive it. Enjoy the car and try not to lose more than a week's sleep over it. It happens to all of us.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM

pontiac firefly
Originally Posted by shadowskill
It sucks to have happened. But that is a fact for daily use cars. My advise is to take wrap it with Matt Lamination (protection coat) that will protect the paint and maintain the matt finish of your car. I am in the process of wrapping my car with matt lamination on palladium silver. It is coming out GREAT and looks almost identical to the allanite grey matt finish with no fear of scratches.
+1 I believe its called Satin Guard
Example on Murci:
First major scratch on Magno paint!-2.jpg
to
First major scratch on Magno paint!-1.jpg

porsche
First major scratch on Magno paint!-1-5.jpg
want more pics? ill pm u links

Last edited by ruthless; 04-04-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 PM

2008 C 63 AMG (palladium Silver); 2018 E400 4matic Coupe (Pearl White)
Awesome pics ruthless and exactly what I was talking about!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM

c63AMG
I talked to Premiere about their satin wrap it cost 5-6k install for c53 or you can buy the wrap for about 2k and wrap it yourself.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wrap looks great until you open the doors/trunk. Bleh.
The following users liked this post:
Surge (06-07-2019)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 PM

pontiac firefly
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
The wrap looks great until you open the doors/trunk. Bleh.
as you can see from the Porsche they take off the headlights etc. and do a great job at it, I'm sure they wouldn't skimp on the door jams

and 5-6k is about the same price as a vinyl wrap at least up here in the great north
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies... I'm over it now...

quite funny how life turns out: I'm in the clinic today (I'm an orthopedic surgeon) and I ask one of my patient what he does for a living... "I'm a paintless dent remover" he says! I talked to him about my problem and he said the dent can be fixed quite easily. As for the paint finish, one of is friend is a speciality car detailer (he does exotics and luxury vehicules...) He will mention my problem and I should get a good deal (if his knee turns out fine!)

I will wait for hisevaluation and after I will go to the dealer to see their version of it...

Keep you posted!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
As far as I know, all the Mercedes matte finishes are just the regular paint with a matte clear coat. PITA to replicate the factory clear coat finish. This is why matte vinyls over the regular paint looks some much like the factory matte options.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM

E46 M3, '09 C63
Wow, who makes Satin Guard?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First major scratch on Magno paint!