C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Media Interface Plus installation. problems so far

Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Media Interface Plus installation. problems so far

I saw some posts on this, but nothing in depth. I thought i would ask for some insight. I just got the media Interface plus and had a few issues working it last night. Granted, I installed it after dinner (which included about 2/3 bottle of wine....), but i did manage to get it installed. It hooked up with the bluetooth (both the mb bluetooth and the MI something or other bluetooth), and it actually streamed pandora for about 3 seconds and then it shut down. So, a few questions:

Do i need pandora running on the phone to have it work through the car? Does it help to have the phone hardwired in? Or is that required?

Also, is there a way to make sure my unit is updated to the latest firmware?

Finally, do i need a media cord from apple to stream video?

Can i use Pandora normally through interface? or do i have to create pandora playlists?

To stream music through bluetooth, do I need to have it playing on the phone first?

Does anyone have a better instruction manual than the piece of garbage that MB supplied with this thing?

Could MB make this MORE complicated, because I hate when things just work, like my sonos system in my house!!!???!?!?!

any insight would be appreciated fellas. thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Do I need pandora running on the phone to have it work through the car? Yes
Does it help to have the phone hardwired in? Or is that required? The phone will work wired or via bluetooth, but wired will allow you to change genre via the steering wheels controls, using bluetooth you must change the genre via the phone.

Also, is there a way to make sure my unit is updated to the latest firmware? Yes, MBUSA website for media interface plus, I will have to look fo rthe link. But I updated mine using two thumb drives, to the latest configuration.

Finally, do i need a media cord from apple to stream video?
You can't stream video from the iphone, as the W204 platform doesn't support streaming video.

Can i use Pandora normally through interface? or do i have to create pandora playlists? No, you can use it normally, I have mine organized my artist.

To stream music through bluetooth, do I need to have it playing on the phone first? Yes, activate the pandora app on the phone first, as soon as bluetooth connection is made, it will start streaming.

Does anyone have a better instruction manual than the piece of garbage that MB supplied with this thing? Check out the MBUSA website that I have below.

Could MB make this MORE complicated, because I hate when things just work, like my sonos system in my house!!!???!?!?!

any insight would be appreciated fellas. thanks[/quote]

The information below, is copied from another post I had on this subject.
Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus is a plug & play entertainment solution for vehicles with iPod / MP3 Media Interface*. It enables you to take your world of music and entertainment with you on the road. From iPod® playlists, videos and Pandora® Radio to Bluetooth® Audio Streaming and mobile contacts, make your driving experience uniquely yours. Create your own driving world today!
Features of the Media Interface Plus include:
Pandora® Radio for iPhone® (3G, 3GS, 4)
Steering wheel buttons and the central controller will allow you to listen & control the Pandora® app.
Playlists can easily be accessed and songs be given a "Thumbs UP" or "Thumbs DOWN".
Bluetooth® Audio Streaming
Audio content or the Pandora® app can be streamed wirelessly from your mobile phone.
Functionality limited to central controller and track selection.
iPod® / iPhone® Audio & Video**
Browse & play audio and video files on a connected iPod® or iPhone®.
Phonebook Download****
Transfer contacts to the COMAND system via business card import.
Mobile Device Charging***
Charged via micro USB Adapter.
Click Here to see if your vehicle is eligible for Media Interface Plus.
Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions about the Media Interface Plus.
Click Here to download the Owners Manual

Click Here to download the upgrade instructions

Click Here to download the MIP Software application

Click Here to download the MIP Bootloader software
Please call or visit your authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer today for more information about the Mercedes-Benz Media Interface Plus.

I hope that this helps you out.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Dude wow. Really nice of you to help me out. I've got the streaming working but that's it so far. After I turn on the pandora app, however, I can't get listen via the pandora selection. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to they to update it tonight. I'm thinking a portable hard drive. Unless you think thumb drives are the only way (my tv will only update that way, kind of silly)

So far hard wired doesnt seem to do anything.

What is the USB connection for? Just the update?

Also, are you using the text feature?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by danielemccabe
Dude wow. Really nice of you to help me out. I've got the streaming working but that's it so far. After I turn on the pandora app, however, I can't get listen via the pandora selection. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to they to update it tonight. I'm thinking a portable hard drive. Unless you think thumb drives are the only way (my tv will only update that way, kind of silly)

So far hard wired doesnt seem to do anything.

What is the USB connection for? Just the update?

Also, are you using the text feature?
I have a thread on this very subject. I like to use the cable to connect my iPhone, to use Pandora. It works better when using Pandora, vice streaming. The USB cable is used for update the saftware on the MIP. You need to have software and bootloader on two different thumb drives. This is the easiest way to upload the software, as the system will look for the software this way, not thru any hard drive. Use the instructions, that i have provided you, and you'll be fine. The text/email feature aren't applicable on the W204 platform via the iPhone, the iPhone doesn't currently support it. The only platform that does is the Blackberry.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
got ya. no text yet.

i'm going to go try to do the hardwired pandora. after i update. not sure i have 2 thumb drives.

thanks for the insight
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
wow bro, you have a lot of posts. can you give me a link?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Link to what exactly?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
um, the link to your post.....
Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
about media plus
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I installed the UCI and then the MIP. Following the directions for the MIP installation with the base release worked fine. You plug the phone into the cable, start Pandora, and then go through the MM interface to Playlists, Pandora, etc. Very straight forward. Streaming also works and hitting the FW or REV buttons will allow you to skip music on the iPhone which is nice while over BT.

Updating is easy - just use a small jump drive. I followed the directions, put the files on a FAT32 jump drive, let it flash, removed it, placed the second set of files on the jump drive and repeated the update process. I had it working less the BT streaming while I was sitting in the dealership driveway with Pandora, so it's not really all that difficult to get working if you read through the little manual and get everything paired correctly from my experience.

Thus far the only issue I've had it occasionally the BT streaming does not pair up correctly.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

um, the link to your post.....
Here you go:

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...face-plus.html
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Originally Posted by unixadm
I installed the UCI and then the MIP. Following the directions for the MIP installation with the base release worked fine. You plug the phone into the cable, start Pandora, and then go through the MM interface to Playlists, Pandora, etc. Very straight forward. Streaming also works and hitting the FW or REV buttons will allow you to skip music on the iPhone which is nice while over BT.

Updating is easy - just use a small jump drive. I followed the directions, put the files on a FAT32 jump drive, let it flash, removed it, placed the second set of files on the jump drive and repeated the update process. I had it working less the BT streaming while I was sitting in the dealership driveway with Pandora, so it's not really all that difficult to get working if you read through the little manual and get everything paired correctly from my experience.

Thus far the only issue I've had it occasionally the BT streaming does not pair up correctly.
well, gee, i'm glad yours worked at the dealership. I read the little manual, more than once, hooked up my phone, turned on pandora, and it didn't work. i've tried a number of things, and thus far the only thing that works is the streaming. i'm going to update the unit today. The pairing was a little funky, but it seems to work fine now. we'll see, but thanks for sharing your story of how straight forward it was. If everything worked that easily, i probably wouldn't have posted anything
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Anyone from Canada installed the MIP? It's not available "officially" but I would consider driving to the states (I'm going anyways in 2 weeks) to get one at a dealership. Is it compatible with cars in canada? From what I understand it will be if you have media interface from factory.

Thanks you for your input... I dont want to spend the 350$ for it not working.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will be the first to tell you, this thing is a pain in the butt. I was just like you, very frustrated with the whole procedure. I was ready to take it back for a refund. The only thing that I wanted was my contact list uploaded, Pandora was a plus in my mind. I screwed around with this thing for about a week, with little success. So I went back to the dealership, and learned that a salesman, has it installed in his car, and he helped me set mine up. It requires three pairings, phone to car, interface to car, phone to interface. If either of these pairings aren't executed, that it won't work. I have updated the software to the latest configuration from Mercedes. The text and email functionality does work with iphone, as the iphone doesn't support text and email thru MIP (Media Interface Plus). Just don't give up, if you just can't get it, take it to Mercedes and have them fix it for you. It should be at no cost, since their only pairing it for you. Have faith it will work.

Last edited by Yuille36; 04-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 AM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Well all that was needed was the update. I got a seriously outdated MIP. It was a bunch of versions back. Pandora works really well now. Sounds a lot better hard wired. The Bluetooth streaming works really well and sounds pretty good. The update was pretty easy. Only one jump drive needed.

I'm assuming the previous post meant that text and email are NOT available for the c class. that definitely does not work.

the pandora thing is insanely cool it even does the the thumbs up or down thing. really coool.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's great, I'm glad that you finally got it worked out. Enjoy
Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just glad that you had faith, to keep moving forward with it. It can be very frustrating, but I'm glad that it worked out for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Thanks Yuille, it is really a cool technology, and doubly cool that MB jumped on to this so early. I have no doubt that Pandora will not be free for too much longer.

I suppose you have confirmed the video streaming does not work in the C class? NOt that it is a problem for me, i have a video go chip that allows me to have DVDs running while a drive. Great for long trips.

I appreciate your insight and I will certainly let you know if I figure out any cool tricks with this thing.

For anyone reading this, makes sure you do the update, it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Yuille, it is really a cool technology, and doubly cool that MB jumped on to this so early. I have no doubt that Pandora will not be free for too much longer.

I suppose you have confirmed the video streaming does not work in the C class? NOt that it is a problem for me, i have a video go chip that allows me to have DVDs running while a drive. Great for long trips.

I appreciate your insight and I will certainly let you know if I figure out any cool tricks with this thing.

For anyone reading this, makes sure you do the update, it makes all the difference in the world.
Yes, I have confirmed that video, text and email doesn't work on the W204. Tell me more about this video go chip? I'm interested in it. I think that MB is incorporate the MIP into there next COMAND system, so that one doesn't have to buy the MIP for the upcoming W205 C Class.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
yeah dude, just look up mid city engineering. Video in motion. basically, it's just a chip that you buy, and then have it installed at any car stereo speciality shop and they will know how to put it in. once it's in, you play a DVD and hit the volume up at down at the same time. it tricks the car into thinking that it's in park, so you can watch a dvd while driving. It's great for long trips. I put on braveheart or something that i've seen a million times and just listen.

plus my wife likes to watch movies on long trips as well. mid city was really cool. it was well worth it.

by the way, my pandora is finally working, but it seems to be quirky. we had to turn my phone off and on a few times, and then turn pandora on a few times, and then it finally worked. not sure what the trick is yet. any suggestions? Pandora seemed to hook up - my stations were all visible, but then there was no sound. i turned on and off mute a few times, but that didn't fix it. so after turning everything on and off a few times, it finally worked. weird. any suggestions would be welcome.

if you have any questions about video in motion either email me, or do a search. there's plenty of stuff on this forum.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the information about video in motion.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM

2011 C300
Yuille,
What type of phone do you have? MB said video isnt available on the W204 but text/email is available if you have a blackberry using OS6.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by seanbro13
Yuille,
What type of phone do you have? MB said video isnt available on the W204 but text/email is available if you have a blackberry using OS6.
Sorry, I have seen this post until today, But I have the iphone 3GS.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
- Slightly Off Topic: Checked with my dealer and they told me since my car is an 08, I can't even install MIP!?! Reason being the radio is completely different???

Is there a way around this or are they just B.S.ing?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I probably right, as the MY08 isn't compatible according the the chart.But the MIP, doesn't need a dealer install, this is a simply DIY. One cable hook up.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Media Interface Plus installation. problems so far