C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 vs. Panamera Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
C63 vs. Panamera Turbo

When I was looking for a new car a few months ago, one of my top contenders was the Panamera, in both the base and S versions, though I wound up getting the C63. Several weeks ago, my brother in law got a Panamera Turbo, and I finally had a chance to drive it yesterday (he drove my C63 and I followed him in hot pursuit). So how would you expect the two cars to compare, given that the Panamera Turbo is twice as expensive and its 0-60 has been clocked at about 3.3 s? Here's my comparison:

- The Panamera is undeniably faster in a straight line, and feels like a slingshot off the line when using launch control (almost uncomfortable!). But the C63 is no slouch by comparison.

- In handling, the C63 feels considerably more precise and nimble, and inspires more confidence when pushing it. The Panamera feels considerably bigger and heavier (which it is), though I bet it can put down serious track numbers.

- The Panamera has a considerably smoother ride, while still providing a decent sense of the road. The C63's ride is fine on smooth roads, but can be harsh on rough roads (even without the PP, etc.).

- When optioned out, the Panamera's interior is more extravagent, though the C63's interior is also nice.

- Both of us like the C63's seats better, particular the bolsters, though the Panamera's seats are also comfortable.

- The Panamera has more buttons and technology. This is good if you like that sort of thing, though I prefer simplicity.

- The Panamera's gas mileage is significantly better.

- The C63's sound show is much better (to me). The Panamera has a more refined business-like sound -- good, but not exciting.

- Both cars have a nice steering wheel, though I like the C63's better. And I think the C63 has a little more steering feedback.

- Visibility is better in the C63.

- Needless to say, the Panamera is much flashier. Screams "expensive!" The C63 is almost a sleeper, particulary when not modded.

Overall, the bottom line is that I enjoy driving the C63 more, which is a pleasant surprise! It's an iron fist in a velvet glove.

And when cost is considered, the C63 really seems like a bargain compared with just about anything else out there.

Last edited by IAA-C63; 05-09-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
^^^
Nice comparo...

I believe I'd see it the same way. My main gripe w/the Panamera (Turbo) is that it is just too long/wide, not to mention too expensive (Turbo).

Big Porsche fan, but the Panamera is just too large in my eyes.

Cheers,

BB
Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Its to big for a Porsche. Its also fugly.

Ill take a tuned C63 over it anyday.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
As much as I love my C63, I'd take the Panamera Turbo every time. I'm actually a fan of the size/width and the AWD makes it a no-brainer IMO.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Damn, I didn't know that the Panamera Turbo is AWD! I always thought that you can only get AWD with 4 or 4S. Too bad on their pricing, as it will go upward of $200k quick if I want all the options... which I do! Thanks for sharing your personal experience on this.

Sheep
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I've started to accept the Panamera's styling. I really hated it before, but it has grown on me.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
I've started to accept the Panamera's styling. I really hated it before, but it has grown on me.
+1 here...once I saw it up close and personal at the NY Autoshow and got to sit inside, I really began to appreciate what Porsche has going on...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by IAA-C63

- The Panamera is undeniably faster in a straight line, and feels like a slingshot off the line when using launch control (almost uncomfortable!). But the C63 is no slouch by comparison.
Thanks for the comparo.

Did you opt for the performance package on your car or no?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Good comparison, although i do not fully agree with the statement that a stock C63 is a sleeper
I prefer the raw design of the c63 any day of the week. Besides i think porsche should stick to small two door sports cars. Same goes for ferrari...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
Same here. Also love the interior.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
Same here. Also love the interior.
Yeah, definitely a very nice interior with a lot of buttons!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 PM

C63 AMG
Go with the Panamera! Remember..."No substitute" Mercedes doesn't even compare to Porsche in terms of performance or quality.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM

coupe
There is a Panamera called Moby Dick, that changed my mind about the car. It really looks sweet
Old 05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
The moby dick model is indeed awesome and sick in terms of design and performance.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Saw a really nice one this morning (black with aftermarket metallic black wheels). Checked online (in my car while it was still there he he ) and it's a 11.7-12.0 1/4 mile car. Since I have a MHP tune now (before and after dyno coming soon), C63 would still be slightly faster.

Great car if it the back wasn't fugly. It's just horrible. Porsche really needs to revise it ASAP. Aside from that, great car!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi guys

Here is some feedback on the OP’s original question that either has a lot to do with the thread or none at all, depending on your viewpoint

In 2006 I bought a CLS55 (not C63). I bought it because of performance and especially because of looks. Absolutely loved the vehicle, still is a stunner to this day, great performer, not quite as fast as my E55, but way better looking. Did miss the rear seating space of the E55.

Last year, after 4 years of thrilling ownership, it came time to sell the CLS, and in late 2011 I did not want to get an E63 or a CLS63 as I knew the twin turbo was on its way.

I wanted a change, so I bought the Panamera S (not the Turbo) despite the performance loss and despite the ugliness factor (which I found pretty repulsive at first. Unfortunately I couldn’t quite justify the extra $30-$50k for the Turbo. The Panny S cost the same as my CLS55, just north of $100K
So here are my observations after 6 months of ownership

The Panny is much larger inside than the E and CLS, and is similarly appointed and possibly a bit more refined. Command, navigation and Bluetooth is better than my AMG. Ride is firm yet plush, and interior silence is as good or better than the AMG. Buttons and controls are intuitive but I HATE the Tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel (up and down shift both sides) and I hate the counterintuitive center-console shift direction. Forward to up shift and backwards to downshift.

As everyone has mentioned the Panny rear view was difficult to stomach at first, but just as others have mentioned, I am growing to like it (but it’s got nothing on the stunning lines of the CLS). The front views are nice, and I have the 20” Turbo wheels that makes it look more sporty.

The performance of the Panny V8 is disappointing, but then most engines are when comparing to a supercharged V8 and living in Florida. All stop start, no twisties, where Torque is king. As with NA cars the car needs to get into the upper RPM’s to get the real area under the curve. Here in Florida you are at the next light before that happens. 550ftlbs of torque at 1,500rpm is a difficult habit to give up

One serious flaw is the exhaust note on the Panny. It is way too quiet and doesn’t give you any hint of the cars performance (the exhaust note of the C63 is the best by far IMHO!)

The suspension is great in sport 2 mode, but is too soft in normal mode and really porpoises over speed humps. Very unpleasant.

Overall I like the Panny more and more as I spend more time in it. Initially I really missed my AMG’s but now I have grown to like it and I suspect I will enjoy it more with time.

But if I had the money today I would had a really difficult time choosing between the 2012 CLS63 Twin Turbo and the Panny Twin Turbo
Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by siswati
Hi guys

Here is some feedback on the OP’s original question that either has a lot to do with the thread or none at all, depending on your viewpoint

In 2006 I bought a CLS55 (not C63). I bought it because of performance and especially because of looks. Absolutely loved the vehicle, still is a stunner to this day, great performer, not quite as fast as my E55, but way better looking. Did miss the rear seating space of the E55.

Last year, after 4 years of thrilling ownership, it came time to sell the CLS, and in late 2011 I did not want to get an E63 or a CLS63 as I knew the twin turbo was on its way.

I wanted a change, so I bought the Panamera S (not the Turbo) despite the performance loss and despite the ugliness factor (which I found pretty repulsive at first. Unfortunately I couldn’t quite justify the extra $30-$50k for the Turbo. The Panny S cost the same as my CLS55, just north of $100K
So here are my observations after 6 months of ownership

The Panny is much larger inside than the E and CLS, and is similarly appointed and possibly a bit more refined. Command, navigation and Bluetooth is better than my AMG. Ride is firm yet plush, and interior silence is as good or better than the AMG. Buttons and controls are intuitive but I HATE the Tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel (up and down shift both sides) and I hate the counterintuitive center-console shift direction. Forward to up shift and backwards to downshift.

As everyone has mentioned the Panny rear view was difficult to stomach at first, but just as others have mentioned, I am growing to like it (but it’s got nothing on the stunning lines of the CLS). The front views are nice, and I have the 20” Turbo wheels that makes it look more sporty.

The performance of the Panny V8 is disappointing, but then most engines are when comparing to a supercharged V8 and living in Florida. All stop start, no twisties, where Torque is king. As with NA cars the car needs to get into the upper RPM’s to get the real area under the curve. Here in Florida you are at the next light before that happens. 550ftlbs of torque at 1,500rpm is a difficult habit to give up

One serious flaw is the exhaust note on the Panny. It is way too quiet and doesn’t give you any hint of the cars performance (the exhaust note of the C63 is the best by far IMHO!)

The suspension is great in sport 2 mode, but is too soft in normal mode and really porpoises over speed humps. Very unpleasant.

Overall I like the Panny more and more as I spend more time in it. Initially I really missed my AMG’s but now I have grown to like it and I suspect I will enjoy it more with time.

But if I had the money today I would had a really difficult time choosing between the 2012 CLS63 Twin Turbo and the Panny Twin Turbo
Does your model have AWD?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Thanks for the comparo.

Did you opt for the performance package on your car or no?
My C63 doesn't have the PP. While I could probably appreciate squeezing out a little more performance, I'm uneasy about the making the ride even stiffer, so I'm OK with not having the PP.

I basically just took the car the dealer had in stock. Test drove it one day, and drove it home the next day.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BK63amg
As much as I love my C63, I'd take the Panamera Turbo every time. I'm actually a fan of the size/width and the AWD makes it a no-brainer IMO.
What I may not have adequately conveyed in my comparo is that, overall, I was surprised to find how very different these two cars are. They both go fast in a straight line, but otherwise they don't really have a lot in common.

The AWD is definitely a plus, and I suspect that it really helps the Panamera lauch off the line.

And I agree that the size/width of the Panamera has its own appeal. The car feels big (bigger than an E class, but maybe not quite an S class), yet handles surprisingly for its size.

Also, as far as looks, I was initially turned off by the rear end, but it's gradually grown on me, and now I actually love the overall look of the car. But, again, it's pretty flashy, which is an issue for some people (including me).

Also, someone mentioned a cost of about $200K. A well-equipped Panamera Turbo is closer to $150K. And believe it or not, my brother in law got a new 2010 with essentially zero miles for $115K. Heck of a deal!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The exterior looks of the car are definitely subjective (Pan TT) but like a choice few here, they are growing on me in the positive. The interior is excellent and the performance numbers are tops for a stock sedan.

Price is another story but not for all.

Some mag stats... if you like that sort of stuff

Road and Track:

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
The Panamera Turbo is a 4dr supercar on a completely different playing field than the C63. The C63 is half the price, not quite apples to oranges comparison nor is it the same buyer demographic IMO.

BTW this:

And when cost is considered, the C63 really seems like a bargain compared with just about anything else out there.
This is exactly what all of the Cadillac CTS-V owners say. Can't be both...
Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Panamera all the way. Even a 4S is a great car.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM

pontiac firefly

this thing looks pretty sick

Last edited by ruthless; 05-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
The Panamera Turbo is a 4dr supercar on a completely different playing field than the C63. The C63 is half the price, not quite apples to oranges comparison nor is it the same buyer demographic IMO.

BTW this:

This is exactly what all of the Cadillac CTS-V owners say. Can't be both...
Based on driving it, I wouldn't quite classify the Panamera Turbo as a supercar (though it's certainly a super car). The acceleration numbers, etc. are impressive, but the handling and overall feel still comes across like a big car with great engineering, rather than a smaller and lighter car designed primarily for raw performance.

If price is factored in, a base Panamera without many options would be a closer comparison to the C63. In that comparo, the performance of the C63 seems much superior, though even the base Panamera is still a great car (even if not a super car).

As far as the CTS-V, I won't deny its value, but I can't wrap my mind around personally driving one. Maybe if I was older ...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM

08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
Though the Panamera may be better than the C63 Except in looks (don't think the Panamera is better looking than anything out there today) I think the 60K extra USD in ones pocket would be a compelling reason to choose the C63.

Now if the decision is a "cost no object" one? and you can get past the Panamera's very un-Porsche like size and Looks, then I guess the Panamera Turbo would be the Choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 vs. Panamera Turbo