Knock/Clunk at full lock..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Knock/Clunk at full lock..

I've always had this sound once and awhile. Only happens when I reverse while turning. Comes from passenger side front wheel. I k ow I read others have had this problem, and searched, but couldn't find the threads..
I know, if I take it to the dealer now. They are going to blame it on me for lowering the car even though it did it stock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Walter
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
My car does the same thing with a stock suspension. Told the service advisor about it and he told me it was the limiter on the steering or some BS like that. But yeah mine does the same thing at full lock in reverse. Notice it more when it's wet.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
I've always had this sound once and awhile. Only happens when I reverse while turning. Comes from passenger side front wheel. I k ow I read others have had this problem, and searched, but couldn't find the threads..
I know, if I take it to the dealer now. They are going to blame it on me for lowering the car even though it did it stock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Walter
i have always wondered the same thing cuz it has happened on all my cars with coilovers or lowered suspension
Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I guess I can use this thread to vent a little frustration at the fact that some MB dealerships are worthless as far as fixing problems. They don't fix. They replace things if they can figure out what needs replacing.

Such a shame that you can't turn to them for help in diagnosing problems with your car.

It makes me not want to own a MB anymore. But, I previously owned a Chevy for a short stint and the same thing happend at GM dealerships. So, I'm guessing it's most auto manufacturers these days.

Btw, my car makes the same sound when I'm reversing out of my driveway and turning my steering wheel to the right on colder mornings. It's hard to replicate, so I'm not worried about it.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I guess I can use this thread to vent a little frustration at the fact that some MB dealerships are worthless as far as fixing problems. They don't fix. They replace things if they can figure out what needs replacing.

Such a shame that you can't turn to them for help in diagnosing problems with your car.

It makes me not want to own a MB anymore. But, I previously owned a Chevy for a short stint and the same thing happend at GM dealerships. So, I'm guessing it's most auto manufacturers these days.

Btw, my car makes the same sound when I'm reversing out of my driveway and turning my steering wheel to the right on colder mornings. It's hard to replicate, so I'm not worried about it.

+1 to all of this. I myself am very close to parting ways with this car, and MB all together. This is my 2nd Benz coming from multiple M3's, and I have to say the BMW overall experience was better.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I have had this same symptom on an older car with lowered suspension. I assume more modern systems still use this same sort of part but what it turned out to be - and you will have to forgive my lack of technical terms here - was a ring shaped bearing plate at the top of the front strut that had split, probably due to the extra load placed thru it by the lowered suspension. It would only become symptomatic when turning becuase it was being sort of "twisted" open by the force of the steering and the little ball bearings were clunking against the split casing.
By the time the bearing plate on my car had given up the ghost you were able to feel the clunk by placing your hand on top of the affected strut tower and have someone turn the front wheels back and forth. A very cheap part from memory but unfortunately the whole suspension strut had to come out to get at it.
I would take it to a good suspension shop and I reckon they will be able to diagnose and fix it on the spot.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Walter
That noise can be caused by a worn control arm (rubber part torn) or tie rod ends (inner or outer or both). Other wise like someone said earlier check the struts top plate for any crack.