C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

200 cell cats pass california smog emssions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
200 cell cats pass california smog emssions?

I was wondering if 200 cell cats would pass California emissions.
For example if you have a 2ndary cat delete and replace the primaries with 200 cell cats would they still pass California smog emissions test?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
With modern engines, and maybe necessary tuning to compensate for the potential for different readings from the O2 sensors when HFC's are used, I would guess that the sniff part of the test would be okay.

Visual wouldn't pass because you cannot touch the primary cats unless they are damaged and need to be replaced.

I don't know whether you can replace primary cats with HFC's if your primaries need replacing. If you could, it would seem like anyone could claim their primary cats need replacing in order to fit some high flows on there.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I have 200 cell cats on a Porsche 996TT. It passed at 10% allowed in all catagories. You need to find a smog shop that will ignore the visual inspection. It not the density of cells that count as much as the surface area of the cat. There are many 100 cell cats that have the same or larger surface area than stock cats that pass just fine.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, CLS550, CLK BS, Sprinter Passenger Van, Odyssey
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I was wondering if 200 cell cats would pass California emissions.
For example if you have a 2ndary cat delete and replace the primaries with 200 cell cats would they still pass California smog emissions test?

Thanks
I just bought my C63 and I am going to do heavy mods on it. I am pretty sure my car won't pass emissions test but when will I be required to do the test?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by GuppyC63
I just bought my C63 and I am going to do heavy mods on it. I am pretty sure my car won't pass emissions test but when will I be required to do the test?
I think you are required do do a test when you are going to sell the car, not sure though.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by GuppyC63

You have to test every two years at registration renewal and at transfer of title. You don't want to fail and get classified as gross polluter by the state. Vehicles tested at licensed stations which exceed at least one of the gross polluter standards (twice the maximum emission). At your mandated emissions test all your vehicle information is registered into the smog test machine and linked real time to the State DMV computer. That why the smog test shop requires you to bring your renewal form with you. Your emissions test is then sent to the State real time via a computer link. You can't stop it. Find a shop to do a trial test before you submit to the required test and one that will turn a blind eye to the visual inspection. That way you have a chance of fixing things before you get reported to DMV. If your pollution control devices have just worn out (like a cat) they can make you replace and will provide financial assistance. However it is illegal to change, remove or modify any functioning smog components in California. For example if you replace perfectly good cats with hi-flow cats and still pass the sniff test but can fail the visual test. They can require you to re-install all the stock components (and possibly fine you as a willful illegal modification).

VC section 27156. (a) No person shall operate or leave standing upon a highway a motor vehicle that is a gross polluter, as defined in Section 39032.5 of the Health and Safety Code.
(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon a highway a motor vehicle that is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. 7521 to 7550, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device that is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.

(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, a required motor vehicle pollution control device or system that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control device or system.

(d) If the court finds that a person has willfully violated this section, the court shall impose the maximum fine that may be imposed in the case, and no part of the fine may be suspended.

(e) "Willfully," as used in this section, has the same meaning as the meaning of that word prescribed in Section 7 of the Penal Code.

(f) No person shall operate a vehicle after notice by a traffic officer that the vehicle is not equipped with the required certified motor vehicle pollution control device correctly installed in operating condition, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle has been properly equipped with such a device.

(g) The notice to appear issued or complaint filed for a violation of this section shall require that the person to whom the notice to appear is issued or against whom the complaint is filed produce proof of correction pursuant to Section 40150 or proof of exemption pursuant to Section 4000.1 or 4000.2

(h) This section shall not apply to an alteration, modification, or modifying device, apparatus, or mechanism found by resolution of the State Air Resources Board to do either of the following:

(1) Not to reduce the effectiveness of a required motor vehicle pollution control device.

(2) To result in emissions from the modified or altered vehicle that are at levels that comply with existing state or federal standards for that model-year of the vehicle being modified or converted.

(i) Aftermarket and performance parts with valid State Air Resources Board Executive Orders may be sold and installed concurrent with a motorcycle’s transfer to an ultimate purchaser.

(j) This section applies to motor vehicles of the United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal law.

In the real world short of just taking the cats completely off, you should find a way to pass the sniff test if you find the right smog test station that will not get excited about the visual inspection.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 05-19-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2007 X5
Recently all around the Bay Area many catalytic converter were stolen for the platinum inside and people just replaced it with after-market. So if a smog station ask you because of the visual, then you can tell him it was stolen.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=8006658

Last edited by BO Knows; 05-19-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by BO Knows
Recently all around the Bay Area many catalytic converter were stolen for the platinum inside and people just replaced it with after-market. So if a smog station ask you because of the visual, then you can tell him it was stolen.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=8006658
I like the way you think.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
So if only stock primary cats are still on (no 2ndary cats) You will still pass emissions in California?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by _AMG_
So if only stock primary cats are still on (no 2ndary cats) You will still pass emissions in California?

You should pass the sniff test. Just make sure the shop is not **** about the visual inspection. The secondary cats are belt and suspenders. The second smog sensor is between the primary and secondary cats.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
You should pass the sniff test. Just make sure the shop is not **** about the visual inspection. The secondary cats are belt and suspenders. The second smog sensor is between the primary and secondary cats.
Thanks for the clarification.