C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

URGENT: Do I Need To Add Engine Oil Now?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
URGENT: Do I Need To Add Engine Oil Now?

I'm about 150 miles from home on business, and the "Check Engine Oil at Next Refuel" indication just came on. When I turned off the engine and restarted it, the indication went off, but I guess it might come on again.

So my questions:

1. Does the indication mean that I probably need to add oil?

2. If the indication comes back on, is it safe to drive back the 150 miles without adding oil? I don't want to ruin the engine.

3. What kind of oil needs to be added?

4. Can any auto shop do it, or do I have to go to an MB dealer? I'm in the Richmond area.

I need to figure all of this out by tomorrow morning, so quick responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can add it yourself, just open the cap and pour it in, I bet the gas station sells it too Prolly need a quart

https://mbworld.org/forums/tags/0w40.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...63-amg-ok.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...09-0015-a.html
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I'm about 150 miles from home on business, and the "Check Engine Oil at Next Refuel" indication just came on. When I turned off the engine and restarted it, the indication went off, but I guess it might come on again.

So my questions:

2. If the indication comes back on, is it safe to drive back the 150 miles without adding oil? I don't want to ruin the engine.

4. Can any auto shop do it, or do I have to go to an MB dealer? I'm in the Richmond area.

I need to figure all of this out by tomorrow morning, so quick responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Yes. Although it might have just purchased a new going-out dress, and wants you to tell if its butt looks too big.

2. Yes. Although "a severe lack of knowledge of anything car related" is also a very good way to mess your car up, so be careful when driving around with that.

3. Motor. More specifically, 0W40. You should check your owner's manual to...wait, if you haven't done this by now, it's probably not even worth suggesting.

4. Yes. I know it's a two-part question, but you only get one 'yes.' You'll have to figure out what it's applying to.

But in all seriousness, you're not helping us MB owners with the whole "having money doesn't mean you have taste or smarts/i'll just have my maid do it" stigmas given to us by the unwashed masses. Take some time, read your manual, read more forums, educate yourself on the underpinnings of the automobile, especially if you wish to continue using one.

Just put some oil in it. Open the engine, use the dipstick to check the current oil level (read your manual or the internet to figure this one out) and fill until you don't need to anymore.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by justanothersuit
1. Yes. Although it might have just purchased a new going-out dress, and wants you to tell if its butt looks too big.

2. Yes. Although "a severe lack of knowledge of anything car related" is also a very good way to mess your car up, so be careful when driving around with that.

3. Motor. More specifically, 0W40. You should check your owner's manual to...wait, if you haven't done this by now, it's probably not even worth suggesting.

4. Yes. I know it's a two-part question, but you only get one 'yes.' You'll have to figure out what it's applying to.

But in all seriousness, you're not helping us MB owners with the whole "having money doesn't mean you have taste or smarts/i'll just have my maid do it" stigmas given to us by the unwashed masses. Take some time, read your manual, read more forums, educate yourself on the underpinnings of the automobile, especially if you wish to continue using one.

Just put some oil in it. Open the engine, use the dipstick to check the current oil level (read your manual or the internet to figure this one out) and fill until you don't need to anymore.
That "tone" isn't really going to help our case either, but otherwise what you've stated above is correct. OP, I wouldn't be too alarmed by the notification but when you do get a chance you should add some oil. You don't need to go to the shop for this.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Depends on the day...
Originally Posted by justanothersuit
Open the engine, use the dipstick to check the current oil level (read your manual or the internet to figure this one out) and fill until you don't need to anymore.
LOL, actually this is pretty normal with most engines IAA-C63. Be glad your not dealing with an M5 BMW... they don't come with a dipstick. Really shortsighted in my opinion!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by squerly
LOL, actually this is pretty normal with most engines IAA-C63. Be glad your not dealing with an M5 BMW... they don't come with a dipstick. Really shortsighted in my opinion!
especially the way that s85 consumes expensive hard to find oil.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by JeffDL
especially the way that s85 consumes expensive hard to find oil.
That's why I always have a quart of Castrol in the trunk
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SMP
That's why I always have a quart of Castrol in the trunk
I used to keep 3.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I just drove the car again, and the indication wasn't on. As I mentioned, I'm here on business (lots of client meetings, wearing a suit, etc.), so I think I'll drive back and take care of the oil when I get home. On the way back, I'll keep an eye on the temps and will stop somewhere to get a quart of 10W40 if anything gets too hot.

As far as the snippy comments from one respondent, note that not everyone who drives and appreciates a C63 has the time and/or interest to do car maintenence, nor do they need to. For the same reason, we have contractors (and maids) take care of things around the house too ...

Last edited by IAA-C63; 06-01-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
any mobile gas station sells mobile 1 oil. 0w-40 is what you're looking for. Keep a couple in the trunk.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Thanks for the quick responses. I just drove the car again, and the indication wasn't on. As I mentioned, I'm here on business (lots of client meetings, wearing a suit, etc.), so I think I'll drive back and take care of the oil when I get home. On the way back, I'll keep an eye on the temps and will stop somewhere to get a quart of 10W40 if anything gets too hot.

As far as the snippy comments from one respondent, note that not everyone who drives and appreciates a C63 has the time and/or interest to do car maintainence, nor do they need to. For the same reason, we have contractors (and maids) take care of things around the house too ...
Check your oil, add as needed... Don't let the justanothersuit's comments discourage you, you are doing the right thing by asking a knowledgeable forum even if the question is a bit on the newbish side (we were all newbs at one time ). Enjoy your car and take care of it, you have a real gem
Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeffDL
any mobile gas station sells mobile 1 oil. 0w-40 is what you're looking for. Keep a couple in the trunk.
Thanks, I'll look specifically for Mobile 1 0W-40. And I'll keep at least a quart in the trunk.

BTW, I've never needed to add oil this way with my previous cars. Clearly, a performance car is a different animal.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

2001 Cobra, 2009 C63

As far as the snippy comments from one respondent, note that not everyone who drives and appreciates a C63 has the time and/or interest to do car maintenence, nor do they need to. For the same reason, we have contractors (and maids) take care of things around the house too ...
Having others do the work and knowing whether or not they're doing it right starts with you having the right knowledge and not being ignorant. Read your owner's manual.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
everytime I get that I go to my MB service dept, pull up and tell them the low oil light is on. They put in a bottle or 2, I tip the guy $5 and drive off I could do it myself but this way is cheaper and easier! and is always done in 5 mins
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by slowbra01
Having others do the work and knowing whether or not they're doing it right starts with you having the right knowledge and not being ignorant. Read your owner's manual.
Generally true, but that's why I've always taken my MBs to the dealer for servicing. That's worked well enough for the past two decades, and at some point you have to trust that people sufficiently know what they're doing. If I suspect that a dealer is trying to rip me off, I get a second opinion. And if hiring experts costs money, so be it. I'm an expert in my own fields, and that's where I believe I need to focus.

As far as reading the owner's manual, I've read much of it, and I do intend to finish it. But it's also painful reading, since so much of it is either obvious or legalistically cautious.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Depends on the day...
Yes, but with all due respect... what happens when the low fuel warning comes on?

I'm pretty sure you know how to handle that situation, just like you know how to pick up a broom if necessary. And sometimes, real life comes along and we have to do things like put oil in our cars. I'm not being mean, just having a little trouble feeling sorry for your lack of common sense.

Edit: Unless your a woman and then I completely understand your lack of knowledge of the internal combustion engine. And of course, I apologize.

Last edited by squerly; 06-01-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by squerly
Yes, but with all due respect... what happens when the low fuel warning comes on?

I'm pretty sure you know how to handle that situation, just like you know how to pick up a broom if necessary. And sometimes, real life comes along and we have to do things like put oil in our cars. I'm not being mean, just having a little trouble feeling sorry for your lack of common sense.
For the third time, I'm away from home on business and not in a position to be messing with adding oil unless absolutely necessary. Read the posts and understand the context before you start judging.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Depends on the day...
For the third time, I'm away from home on business and not in a position to be messing with adding oil unless absolutely necessary. Read the posts and understand the context before you start judging.
I'm not judging. I completely understand your perdicament and I appoligize for sounding uncarring. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM

05 C55
This thread is just sad.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am still under factory warranty, I have to get a top off roughly every two weeks

Lucky it has two different ways to electronically measure the oil, otherwise lack of dipstick would be AHH
Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8

So my questions:

Thanks!
Mobil 1 0-40w full synthetic. Any good autoparts store. If you can't find Mobil 1, get another brand that is also 0-40w full synthetic. Add half a quart then recheck you oil level dip stick and electronic meter. Oil is cheap compared to other unpleasant consequences.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-02-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 AM
FBG

2011 C63
Momo

I had this light come on and I added a half a quart of oil and a few days later I had friggen oil shooting of of my engine. My dipstick had always read low, I had a mechanic add the oil while I watched, but I can sure bet you that I am not touching the damn thing anymore. Take it to the dealer if you have any question.

Take it to the dealer if you have any questions!

For gods sake I have a small modicum of mechanical and practical knowledge but when you are dealing with a 38,000 dollar engine, or whatever, take it to the dealer and let them f*** it up. Sometimes when you think you know what you are doing you really don't and you make a bonehead mistake. For my job I have had to have a working knowledge of all sorts of systems from a Palladin SP Howitzer to a Stryker, and this damn Motor is a som***** and I would rather work on a turbine engine then mess with it. (can you say contractor based maintenance)

Anyways, take it to the dealer and let them add the oil so they cannot blame you for some bonehead screwup. I am not speaking from experience.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by vraa
I am still under factory warranty, I have to get a top off roughly every two weeks

Lucky it has two different ways to electronically measure the oil, otherwise lack of dipstick would be AHH
Wow, I've now reached 3k miles and this will be the first time I've had to add oil. I wonder if the difference is due to driving habits? I've been using M mode a lot, but I rarely go above 5k RPMs.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by FBG
I had this light come on and I added a half a quart of oil and a few days later I had friggen oil shooting of of my engine. My dipstick had always read low, I had a mechanic add the oil while I watched, but I can sure bet you that I am not touching the damn thing anymore. Take it to the dealer if you have any question.

Take it to the dealer if you have any questions!

For gods sake I have a small modicum of mechanical and practical knowledge but when you are dealing with a 38,000 dollar engine, or whatever, take it to the dealer and let them f*** it up. Sometimes when you think you know what you are doing you really don't and you make a bonehead mistake. For my job I have had to have a working knowledge of all sorts of systems from a Palladin SP Howitzer to a Stryker, and this damn Motor is a som***** and I would rather work on a turbine engine then mess with it. (can you say contractor based maintenance)

Anyways, take it to the dealer and let them add the oil so they cannot blame you for some bonehead screwup. I am not speaking from experience.
Thank you, this confirms my initial thinking that I should let the dealer do the work, if at all possible. I do have a modicum of knowledge about the car, but I also know that the service people at the dealer probably know a lot more than I do. As a licensed professional engineer, one of our legal and ethical requirements is to know the limits of our own knowledge and not practice our profession beyond those limits. And you make a good point about keeping the dealer responsible if anything gets messed up.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Mobil 1 0-40w full synthetic. Any good autoparts store. If you can't find Mobil 1, get another brand that is also 0-40w full synthetic.
Thanks for this clarification. I was wondering if it had to be Mobil 1, and I originally asked about the oil because I suspected it might be synthetic. Last thing I want to do is put the wrong oil in there!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: Do I Need To Add Engine Oil Now?