C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Limp Mode? Loud Fan Noise? What's Going On?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Limp Mode? Loud Fan Noise? What's Going On?

I was driving my C63 (about 3k miles on it) home from today from work, and after about 5 minutes, I decided to have some fun. I put it in M3 at about 4k to 6k RPMs, and after about 3 minutes the car switched to C mode (while I was in a curve!). I put it back in M, but it went back C after about 30 seconds. Same thing happened a couple more times, so I left it in C for a few minutes. I then went back to M and it stayed in M. When I parked at home, I heard a loud fan noise (like a vacuum cleaner) coming from the engine area, which stopped after about minute, and which I've never heard before.

What's going on? Is this normal? Something wrong with the transmission? Overheated transmission? I've heard about limp mode in other threads, but I wasn't pushing the car that hard, nor for very long. I do probably need to add engine oil, since my "check engine oil" light has come on a few times in the past couple of days (but it doesn't always come on, so the oil seems to be only a bit low), but I'm guessing that doesn't have much to do with the transmission anyway?

Of course, I can take it to the dealer and get it checked out, but I don't want to waste time with that if this is somehow normal. Plus there are no warning lights on.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
When the transmission reaches a certain temperature in M mode, it defaults back to C mode in order to protect it from being cooked. If you cost for a little while in C the temperature will come down to a safe level and M can be selected again. If ambient temperatures are high combined with some spirited driving without letting the car cool down before parking it, the fan will come on while parked to dissipate heat from the engine compartment.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
What was your oil temp? I think the magic number is 265+F
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BerBer63
What was your oil temp? I think the magic number is 265+F
I checked that and it just showed some dashed lines. I'm thinking that means the oil temp was still relatively low?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SMP
When the transmission reaches a certain temperature in M mode, it defaults back to C mode in order to protect it from being cooked. If you cost for a little while in C the temperature will come down to a safe level and M can be selected again. If ambient temperatures are high combined with some spirited driving without letting the car cool down before parking it, the fan will come on while parked to dissipate heat from the engine compartment.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't pushing the car that hard for that long (ambient temp was about 84 F). By comparison, I drove the car much harder and for much longer in M a few days ago, with ambient temp over 90 F, and it stayed in M.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Any chance that holding high RPMs for a while heats up the transmission too?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63AMG P31
just add oil i had 60% of your problem car was new and the check engine oil light on and i was pushing it hard until some guys at traffic light say to me some smoke is getting out of your front right side of your car so pulled over called dealer and they say just add more oil
good luck hope i helped
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I checked that and it just showed some dashed lines. I'm thinking that means the oil temp was still relatively low?
You have to actual start up the car with the engine running to check the temp. no just turn the starter to the accessory position.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by rst63
You have to actual start up the car with the engine running to check the temp. no just turn the starter to the accessory position.
Nope...Just turn the key to the second position.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by rst63
The car was running and moving, and I actually checked it while I was having the problem.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by alrasheed1991
just add oil i had 60% of your problem car was new and the check engine oil light on and i was pushing it hard until some guys at traffic light say to me some smoke is getting out of your front right side of your car so pulled over called dealer and they say just add more oil
good luck hope i helped
My "check engine oil" light still isn't coming on consistently, but you may be right that needing oil may be part (or all) of the problem. I was hoping to take care of that yesterday, but was swamped all day at work. I can hopefully do that Monday, and will take it easy with the car until then.

I'm still puzzled though about why none of the three temp gauges showed anything to be too hot. I'm not aware of there being a temp gauge for the transmission. Does anyone know if there's a transmission temp warning, other than the car going into limp mode?