C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 versus a few other cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
C63 versus a few other cars

I was at the MB/Audi dealer yesterday, and we're looking for a new car for the wife, so we test drove the E350 convertible and S5 convertible. Since the C63 is now my benchmark for judging all other cars, I thought I'd offer some comparisons, though I know that these convertibles aren't in the same category as the C63 (other than being German and in the same price range).

The E350 convertible is basically a cruiser. With this engine it feels weak, though I imagine that the E550 would be much better. The handling isn't sporty at all compared to the C63 (despite having the sport package), and doesn't inspire fun driving, though the ride does feel like velvet compared to the C63. Verdict: a luxurious car, but definitely not fun.

The S5 convertible is much more fun. Decent acceleration once it winds up, but it often seems to take a second to wind up, and still not in the same league as the C63. I don't really care for the exhaust note either, which has too much humming and farting. The handling is better than I expected; still not up there with the C63, but the AWD feels like it's clawing the ground through curves.

After driving these two cars, I went back to driving my old 2001 E320, which I hadn't touched since getting my C63 two months ago. I used to love E320, but now it felt really weak in power and floppy in handling and steering response. Should have replaced it years ago, but I didn't know what I was missing.

Final conclusion: the C63 is truly an awesome car, and any car with less than 400 hp is underpowered.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Any car with less than 400hp needs viagara.