Need some help finding shocks!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Need some help finding shocks!!

I have H&R Sport Springs on my C63..

And I'm gonna get some nice suspension, too.

So.. One of my friends gave me 2 options!!

1. Bilstein
2. Koni

I was gonna pick Bilstein shocks..

However!!
I also heard that Koni makes adjustable shocks and i can adjust them under the hood by myself whenever I want.
And I think it's so nice..
when I pick up a girl friend, make it softer!!
when I drive by myself, make it stiffer!!
isn't that great?

So I googled it..
but I couldn't even find koni adjustable shocks for c63(w204)!!
do they even make that stuff for c63?

Actually, there wasn't that much option for C63..
or I might be not good at searching stuff

So Im asking you some informations..!! plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or you guys just can give me some other option, if there is some more!!
have A GREAT weekend guys!!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I think that Tirerack sells packages for suspension. Check them out.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I think that Tirerack sells packages for suspension. Check them out.
i've checked it..
but.. they only sell coil-over for my car!! sad!!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
The springs you have are matched to the stock shock valving. The coil over shocks have different valving and hence different spring rates (some times with small helper springs to keep the spring in the perches at full drop). Bilstein adjustable shocks (PPS9/10) only come with their coil over kit and I far as I know they do not make a kit for a C63. The Bilstein coil overs only have compression adjustment. Bilstein does make a sport shock that is non adjustable that should work with your springs. However these may not be much different than your stock shocks. You'd have to find out the spring rates (stock to H&R) to compare. Your options for adjustable coil overs are either H&R or KWs. The H&R are height adjustable but do not have any rebound or compression adjustment. This kit even set at it's highest level will be lower than the springs you have in now. KW makes two versions (variant 3 and club sport). These not only have height adjustment but compression and rebound adjustment. Be aware as you drop the car, you will eventually exceed the stock eccentric alignment adjustment which will require additional suspension modifications (camber bolts, dog bones, pillow ball top mounts, toe steer links) to get a reasonable street alignment. It is a very slippery slope and cost lots of $$$$$$.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
The springs you have are matched to the stock shock valving. The coil over shocks have different valving and hence different spring rates (some times with small helper springs to keep the spring in the perches at full drop). Bilstein adjustable shocks (PPS9/10) only come with their coil over kit and I far as I know they do not make a kit for a C63. The Bilstein coil overs only have compression adjustment. Bilstein does make a sport shock that is non adjustable that should work with your springs. Your options for adjustable coil overs are either H&R or KWs. The H&R are height adjustable but do not have any rebound or compression adjustment. This kit even set at it's highest level will be lower than the springs you have in now. KW makes two versions (variant 3 and club sport). These not only have height adjustment but compression and rebound adjustment. Be aware as you drop the car, you will eventually exceed the stock eccentric alignment adjustment which will require additional suspension modifications (camber bolts, dog bones, toe steer links) to get a reasonable street alignment. It is a very slippery slope and cost lots of $$$$$$.

What a nice and kind explanation!! Thank you so much!!

The reason that I wanted to change the shocks was I though stock shocks are not matched to the spring that I have right now..

actually, my friend told me the stock shocks were gonna be broken in 1~2 yrs since they don't match to spring rate..

so what you were saying was.. i don't need to change the shocks only for making same spring rate.. right?

I think my car is pretty low especially in road condition of Boston..
I prefer to keep the height now..
so I guess I don't need to worry about changing shocks, right?

Last edited by Dr. Q; 06-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by Dr. Q
What a nice and kind explanation!! Thank you so much!!

The reason that I wanted to change the shocks was I though stock shocks are not matched to the spring that I have right now..

actually, my friend told me the stock shocks were gonna break in 1~2 yrs since they don't match to spring rate..

so what you were saying was.. i don't need to change the shocks only for making same spring rate.. right?

I think my car is pretty low especially in road condition of Boston..
I prefer to keep the height now..
so I guess I don't need to worry about changing shocks, right?
Your shock shouldn't break (ie blow a seal), they will just wear out faster with the lower springs cuz you're working them harder with less shock travel. Sometime the lowering springs on less performance oriented cars are too much for the stock shocks to handle resulting in both poor ride, poor handling, and shock failure. As long as you're happy with the ride height, handling and comfort, I'd keep what you have. MBZ also made different springs and shocks for the P30 package. This was discountinued in MY 2010 as most people complained it was too stiff. Nice thing about a MBZ is the rear shocks (which usually go out first) are easy to change.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-12-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Your shocks won't break, they will just wear out faster with the lower springs cuz you're working them harder with less shock travel. As long as you're happy with the ride height, handling and comfort, I'd keep what you have. MBZ also made different springs and shocks for the P30 package. This was discountinued in MY 2010 as most people complained it was too stiff.
sorry for bothering you over and over again.. haha..
but I wanna ask you something..
I don't wanna make my car lower, so I dont wanna go w/ coil-over stuff..
But the shocks are gonna be worn out faster.. right?
then the only option w/ keeping this height is just changing new stock shocks when it's worn out?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
then the only option w/ keeping this height is just changing new stock shocks when it's worn out?
Yah, the price of driving a modded car. MBZ shocks on the C63 are pretty sturdy. (I had a C43 that I bought factory Euro height springs and shocks for and the shocks had the same part number on them as the US version.) Think in miles instead of years. Instead of getting 50k out of your shocks they might only last 25-30K. Not that high a price to pay. (Considering I put $5K in a 996TT for a coil over street suspension)You might also research the P30 shocks when it's time to change.
My turn to ask you a question or two. Do you know what the alignment specs on your car are with the H&R springs. Do you feel any bump steer, thats when the shock bottoms out on it stops when it hits a bump in a turn and causes the car to dart around a bit. Do you hear any spring noise? Depending on the type of car some of the after market springs have coil binding causing a clunking noise. I've not heard of these complaints on a C63 but there have been some issues with other applications.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Dr.Q, dont worry about damaging your shocks with H&R springs... our cars come with performance shocks already... plus the H&R drop is less than 1inch which is very minimal. All my previous cars have been dropped on stock shocks, and 80 000km later, still on stock shocks.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Roswell
Dr.Q, dont worry about damaging your shocks with H&R springs... our cars come with performance shocks already... plus the H&R drop is less than 1inch which is very minimal. All my previous cars have been dropped on stock shocks, and 80 000km later, still on stock shocks.
Thx Thx!!
you are always good to me!! hehe~

So I decided that I will use stock shocks + H&R spring til I need to change shocks!!
then when I need to change shocks!! I will go w/ coil-over!!

Thank you guys so much for helping me out!!