C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Too much power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 ///Amg
Too much power?

I am going to be getting an MHP tune soon and am having trouble deciding whether i should just get the header tune right off the bat or just get the tune only tune. The extra money isn't a big issue and i thought it was a good idea to get the header tune since i was planning on getting headers to get the car up to the claimed 590 bhp.

But i recently have talked to a few people and they have told me that it doesn't make sense to have a car with the stance and height of our cars to have that much horsepower combined with how skinny the tires are, as currently am running 265s in the back but could upgrade to 275s in the future on the stock rims.

I know alot of guys on here have headers tune and full catback exhaust but i know alot of those guys run track and i will prob not run track hardly at all as i dont really have time for it and a lack of tracks in my area during the summer which is back up in canada. Also keeping in mind that the car is my DD.

So looking for some guidance from you guys whether it would really be overboard and not really worth the money or if you guys think that it would be a good investment.

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
There is no such thing as too much power. MHP is having a tune
and header special. Call Andy, (614)-940-9523. Tell him Mike told
you to call him.

I would do the tune and headers together. My car is a daily driver as
well and it's very docile on the street unless you lay into it. The stock
tires can't really handle the stock power. So, a tune and headers will
make wheel spin even more of a problem. During the summer I roll on
drag radials which helps and in the winter I run a Dunlop winter tire
set-up.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by PetroC63
There is no such thing as too much power. MHP is having a tune
and header special. Call Andy, (614)-940-9523. Tell him Mike told
you to call him.

I would do the tune and headers together. My car is a daily driver as
well and it's very docile on the street unless you lay into it. The stock
tires can't really handle the stock power. So, a tune and headers will
make wheel spin even more of a problem. During the summer I roll on
drag radials which helps and in the winter I run a Dunlop winter tire
set-up.
You run DR on your DD?! What do you do when it rains?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by BK63amg
I did that once, never again.. Admittedly they were worn nitto drag radials, and it fishtailed on the I-5 at about 55. That's why I just got a dedicated 17" drag set.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by BK63amg
Yes I do but I'm very careful in the rain. C mode and ESP "On"
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
+1 for tune and header together, because you will have to re-tune later when you add the header anyway, so why not do both together?

Sheep
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
Nothing is too much!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by Jeffield
Nothing is too much!
Absolutely right! Do it!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Some peoples wives have too much power....dangerous..
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
Absolutely right! Do it!
Do it.. Never enough power I run continental 275 in back granted you don't get traction off the line but run this thing, pulling in the highway from 45/50-whatever you can't beat it.. I run Mickey tompson drs on the road and they hook better in the rain then the contis but carefull when tread gets low
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
You can NEVER have enough horsepower...

Just not enough traction...

Go for it!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Some peoples wives have too much power....dangerous..
haha i like that one....

Thanks for the encouragement guys I think i might go ahead and get the headers tune in the next few weeks and then maybe opt for the headers and mids next year. I have already spoken to Andy and he told me if i did the headers tune that i could run it without them and the car would be fine and then when i wanted to get the headers i wouldnt have to get it re tuned.

Also does the car get a noticably more aggressive sound from just the headers and mids? And I was thinking i would want to leave the secondary cats in would that be have much affect on sound?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 PM
JCH

2009 C63
Horsepower mantra:

"Some is good
More is better
And too much is just enough!"
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
The C63 has more hp and torque than 90% of all vehicles out there. Having all these sales on flash tunes and many other options for increasing power and performance tempts all of us. Especially since we all know the C63 has been detuned by the factory. In all honesty, I would have to partially agree with the statements that it is almost foolish to increase the power on a C63 due to the high center of gravity, high weight, and relatively small/thin rear wheels.

Today I was able to bring my daily driver C63 out for the first time on a "spirited" drive where I was able to truly test it's prowess alongside a trio of Ferraris on some of Northern California's finest roads. I can say for most of the Hour long drive, I was able to more than keep the pace with the Maranello trio. On open roads, as you would expect, the C63 can seemingly close any gap. However, the C63 is a bit challenging in the turns. In comparison to my Ferrari, you can really feel the weight and high center of gravity when approaching a turn from a high speed. In the Ferrari, I can more easily throw it into a turn at speed, and it takes the turn gracefully, up to it's limit of adhesion to a predictable drift. Surprisingly, I actually really like the C63 transmission, a lot better, as I've gotten more used to using it. It does the job well. The C63 is a wonderful machine, a real monster of a car that gives you some of the most bang for the buck, luxury car comfort, and some serious performance car attributes. It's a little bit of everything, a super car, a Luxury GT. I am not too sure that I will flash mod mine, as I halfway agree, that all that power is enough, given the limits of the rear wheels and the high center of gravity. However, in most conditions of daily driving straight drving, freeway passing, stoplight dragging and just screwing around, 500+ HP may be foolish, but possibly more load of fun!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by j bro
I am going to be getting an MHP tune soon and am having trouble deciding whether i should just get the header tune right off the bat or just get the tune only tune. The extra money isn't a big issue and i thought it was a good idea to get the header tune since i was planning on getting headers to get the car up to the claimed 590 bhp.

But i recently have talked to a few people and they have told me that it doesn't make sense to have a car with the stance and height of our cars to have that much horsepower combined with how skinny the tires are, as currently am running 265s in the back but could upgrade to 275s in the future on the stock rims.

I know alot of guys on here have headers tune and full catback exhaust but i know alot of those guys run track and i will prob not run track hardly at all as i dont really have time for it and a lack of tracks in my area during the summer which is back up in canada. Also keeping in mind that the car is my DD.

So looking for some guidance from you guys whether it would really be overboard and not really worth the money or if you guys think that it would be a good investment.

Thanks for your time!
I agree with everyone else on the board. No such thing as too much power. Anything that puts a smile on your face is a good investment. Might as well go all in if you're going at all. Besides Dad's is coming out with rear fender flare so you can stuff some 315's in the back end (as the factory should have done in the first place).

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-14-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 AM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
I agree with everyone else on the board. No such thing as too much power. Anything that puts a smile on your face is a good investment. Might as well go all in if you're going at all. Besides Dad's is coming out with rear fender flare so you can stuff some 315's in the back end (as the factory should have done in the first place).
Increasesed rear fender flares and 315's...This would be one great upgrade, probably the most significant improvement mod that could be done. A genuine C63 Black Series!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
haha i like that one....

Thanks for the encouragement guys I think i might go ahead and get the headers tune in the next few weeks and then maybe opt for the headers and mids next year. I have already spoken to Andy and he told me if i did the headers tune that i could run it without them and the car would be fine and then when i wanted to get the headers i wouldnt have to get it re tuned.

Also does the car get a noticably more aggressive sound from just the headers and mids? And I was thinking i would want to leave the secondary cats in would that be have much affect on sound?
smart move....definately do the header tune first so you are not having to tune again later . i can tell you from experience that you will not be disappointed with the MHP setup .

aggresive sound is an understatement.....it's more like a monster
Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
Increasesed rear fender flares and 315's...This would be one great upgrade, probably the most significant improvement mod that could be done. A genuine C63 Black Series!
Does anyone know how close the rear fenders flares are to being produced? i am following that thread and haven't heard any updates, hopefully he will make some fiberglass copies and save us all some coin!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
The C63 has more hp and torque than 90% of all vehicles out there. Having all these sales on flash tunes and many other options for increasing power and performance tempts all of us. Especially since we all know the C63 has been detuned by the factory. In all honesty, I would have to partially agree with the statements that it is almost foolish to increase the power on a C63 due to the high center of gravity, high weight, and relatively small/thin rear wheels.

Today I was able to bring my daily driver C63 out for the first time on a "spirited" drive where I was able to truly test it's prowess alongside a trio of Ferraris on some of Northern California's finest roads. I can say for most of the Hour long drive, I was able to more than keep the pace with the Maranello trio. On open roads, as you would expect, the C63 can seemingly close any gap. However, the C63 is a bit challenging in the turns. In comparison to my Ferrari, you can really feel the weight and high center of gravity when approaching a turn from a high speed. In the Ferrari, I can more easily throw it into a turn at speed, and it takes the turn gracefully, up to it's limit of adhesion to a predictable drift. Surprisingly, I actually really like the C63 transmission, a lot better, as I've gotten more used to using it. It does the job well. The C63 is a wonderful machine, a real monster of a car that gives you some of the most bang for the buck, luxury car comfort, and some serious performance car attributes. It's a little bit of everything, a super car, a Luxury GT. I am not too sure that I will flash mod mine, as I halfway agree, that all that power is enough, given the limits of the rear wheels and the high center of gravity. However, in most conditions of daily driving straight drving, freeway passing, stoplight dragging and just screwing around, 500+ HP may be foolish, but possibly more load of fun!

Great write up! Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Does anyone know how close the rear fenders flares are to being produced? i am following that thread and haven't heard any updates, hopefully he will make some fiberglass copies and save us all some coin!
I'm sure Keith will have something shortly. He seems to have a flair for the
dramatic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the install is almost complete. His body guy is
excellent.