C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Air box mod questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
Question Air box mod questions

SO i have been reading several different threads about modifying the stock air boxes and have some questions:

When you remove the charcoal lattice work, does it throw the MAF sensor off and throw a code?

I saw where the ROTW intake tubes don't have the lip that restricts the flow and someone suggested grinding down that lip to smooth it out. Has anyone done this yet? If so, does it throw the MAF sensor off and make it throw codes?

I read where the MAF sensor is calibrated to a certain diameter tube, so I got to thinking if I grind down that lip (to make the tube flow more) wouldn't it cause the MAF calibration to be off? If it does, could I have the guy that tuned the car (Jerry at Eurocharged) simply change the MAF calibrations to work?

I refuse to pay 2k+ for a better flowing air intake, when I can fab something myself. I've built and owned 2500hp race cars, 1500hp offshore racing boats, and numerous hot rod motorcycles.... surely there are some other people here who like to tinker as well.

Give me your opinions, thoughts, or just tell me I'm crazy and to leave it alone.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
SO i have been reading several different threads about modifying the stock air boxes and have some questions:

When you remove the charcoal lattice work, does it throw the MAF sensor off and throw a code?

I saw where the ROTW intake tubes don't have the lip that restricts the flow and someone suggested grinding down that lip to smooth it out. Has anyone done this yet? If so, does it throw the MAF sensor off and make it throw codes?

I read where the MAF sensor is calibrated to a certain diameter tube, so I got to thinking if I grind down that lip (to make the tube flow more) wouldn't it cause the MAF calibration to be off? If it does, could I have the guy that tuned the car (Jerry at Eurocharged) simply change the MAF calibrations to work?

I refuse to pay 2k+ for a better flowing air intake, when I can fab something myself. I've built and owned 2500hp race cars, 1500hp offshore racing boats, and numerous hot rod motorcycles.... surely there are some other people here who like to tinker as well.

Give me your opinions, thoughts, or just tell me I'm crazy and to leave it alone.
My airbox is modded. I also dont run Charcoals and use K&N filters.

I have never thrown a CEL. Hard to say how much it does but it sure doesnt hurt. Ive raced people who have had their charcoals and their stock filters install with no airbox mod and I beat them. I also post better times than them.

The biggest gain is from removing the charcoals and stock filters. Grinding down the lip allows more flow too..
Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Bruce @ TTM is the one that suggested modding the boxes by removing the flap (similar to inside of a Carbonio) and has been successful at it. Myself, I prefer buying the "ROW" box tops.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Thanks guys. I thought I might have been over-thinking this deal. LOL. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.

Sin... I'd love to just swap the boxes, but for the cost.... I can put a few hours of work into it and have the same thing. Plus I am bored and want to tinker. hahaha.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Have fun with the Dremel. Please take pics and post them so someone else can benefit.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Absolutely Sin.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW-Part of the cost of the "ROW" box tops is that they also include new MAFs.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Sin.... don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would go that route. Things are a little tight right now and I need a project. LOL. I'm using my mod money for a trip to your hometown in the first week of July.... the wifey likes to gamble.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Heres a pic i had of a modded box top.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Obsid.... with the funnel cut back at the top, did this make the MAF throw any codes?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Sorry, this isnt my box. I just had the pic saved. I have the ROW box tops.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Sin.... don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would go that route. Things are a little tight right now and I need a project. LOL. I'm using my mod money for a trip to your hometown in the first week of July.... the wifey likes to gamble.
Not at all. Bruce tells me that the box top mod is as good as the "ROW." I bought my set at a great price from a prior member here and like the fact that I have extra MAFs just in case if I ever over-oil my K&Ns and foul them.

I'd rather you spend your money here in Vegas to help out our local economy than for mods.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Propain proved it works and the guy he is referencing in the race with the same mods(except for filters and the TTM airbox mods) weighs ~100lbs less!

obsidian05e55-
That picture looks familiar! Good save!

OP-
Just do it and enjoy your car!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
i posted a pic previously...just dremeled half the bottom piece off. no problems
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Is this really considered a mod..
Old 06-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
I am sure that Mercedes LLC thinks it is
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by GermanCars
I am sure that Mercedes LLC thinks it is
So is putting the row box on a us spec vehicle a mod?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
This is a clear example of how dump AMG engineering can be. While other lesser cars incorporated much better ram air systems (Camaros, Trans Ams), AMG take the difficult approach.

How difficult really is to have a plastic molding machine create a larger diameter intake tube?uhmmm... I guess very dificult.

I am a firm believer that on N/A cars you can greatly benefit from ram airs and could air intakes thus anything that logically resembles "better flow" or "more flow" I think is beneficial.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dodger63
So is putting the row box on a us spec vehicle a mod?
"Euro" mod?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by C63newdude
This is a clear example of how dump AMG engineering can be. While other lesser cars incorporated much better ram air systems (Camaros, Trans Ams), AMG take the difficult approach.

How difficult really is to have a plastic molding machine create a larger diameter intake tube?uhmmm... I guess very dificult.

I am a firm believer that on N/A cars you can greatly benefit from ram airs and could air intakes thus anything that logically resembles "better flow" or "more flow" I think is beneficial.
Agree partially, but still sucking the same volume of air threw the b/s ocordian (is that the right spelling doubt it) style pipes that you have before the box.. If you suck threw a straw, can someone with a bigger mout suck more air threw a straw then someone with a smaller mouth?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by C63newdude

This is true in American cars and some Japanese cars. However, this is not the case in AMG cars and especially the 63 platform. If you look at the design of the engine carefully, you'll notice that the air tubes come from the bottom of the engine and strech to the top. This helps in increasing the cross section ares of the tube, which in turn helps in reducing air temperature flowing to the engine. In other cars, like the Camaro. The intake tubes are streached on the side from the engine, which is already generating heat, so installing a cold air intake helps reduce that heat. In contrast, the 63 engine already does that. Therefore, cold air intakes wont work. In fact, it might even damage the air flow cycle.

I dont know if you remember or not, but there was a cold air intake from Ram-Air that was selling a lower cold intake for the 63 amg engines , which was on Ebay for some time for about $150. It stated that it gave an extra 15HP. All it did was it generated gum. it did reduce the temperature at the bottom, but it increased the heat of airflow at the top. the product is now discontinoued

all you can do, is increase the airbox volume on the top part. As for the bottoms, the best way to gain power is to go with the Carbon fiber lower intake mod. Increase both the top and bottom flow, and you will feel the power and it is the only way it could be done in the 63 AMG platforms

Last edited by jacob502; 06-16-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: add word
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Propain proved it works and the guy he is referencing in the race with the same mods(except for filters and the TTM airbox mods) weighs ~100lbs less!

obsidian05e55-
That picture looks familiar! Good save!

OP-
Just do it and enjoy your car!
AND he has the P30 so he has the light weigh rotors...

Originally Posted by dodger63
Is this really considered a mod..
By definition its a mod I guess... The airbox has been "modified". However since the ROW airbox is the same thing without the lip then its really not a mod. Its just not paying $1,000 for a ROW airbox.

Ill be testing out the Gruppe intake come fall and well see how much more I can get out of increase the flow even more. The intake Petro let me borrow at the track seemed to do the job... but then he was able to get a great time himself using my airbox... So I need more data.. the humidity also dropped about 20% when both of us started getting better times.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe you can get "ROW" box tops for less than $600 for the set.

Jacob: What is a lower carbon fiber mod?