C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Failed Inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Failed Inspection

The car ('09 model) only has the tune by Eurocharged, and it failed the inspection because the "monitor was not ready" and due to the O2 sensors being off. I did a search on the forums and discovered that a few other members with tune-only vehicles had the same problem. They gave me the usual runaround: "to drive the car for an X amount of miles and bring it back in" but I don't think that will solve anything as the codes have not been reset on my end. I also took it back to the dealer, and he told me the same thing but it just doesn't make any sense.. I strongly feel I failed because of the tune.

I was thinking my best bet would be to take it to the dealer, ask them to reflash the ECU, drive it for a day or two and then get it reinspected. Once all is good and dandy, then I'll simply have Eurocharge tune it again afterwards. Would this be the correct way to handle the situation? I'm two months late on the inspection
Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
Wow I have their tune also. Maybe PM Jerry and see what he says or maybe he'll chime in here. When did you get your tune? Got Mine in Mar 2010.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
I assume by "inspection" you mean "smog inspection"?

If so, my c63 also has a eurocharged tune, took it to get smoged 4 weeks ago, it failed at the first spot I took it to, guy said warm in up (essentially drive it hard) and bring it back after 3-4 hours bc he was backed up. I didn't have the time that day, so I drove it for about 20 mins after I left his shop (fairly hard) and took it to another smog shop, it passed just fine.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
PM me your vin please.

We do not disable the rear 02 sensors unless requested by the customer. This is usually requested when headers are installed.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by Militia
The car ('09 model) only has the tune by Eurocharged, and it failed the inspection because the "monitor was not ready" and due to the O2 sensors being off. I did a search on the forums and discovered that a few other members with tune-only vehicles had the same problem. They gave me the usual runaround: "to drive the car for an X amount of miles and bring it back in" but I don't think that will solve anything as the codes have not been reset on my end. I also took it back to the dealer, and he told me the same thing but it just doesn't make any sense.. I strongly feel I failed because of the tune.

I was thinking my best bet would be to take it to the dealer, ask them to reflash the ECU, drive it for a day or two and then get it reinspected. Once all is good and dandy, then I'll simply have Eurocharge tune it again afterwards. Would this be the correct way to handle the situation? I'm two months late on the inspection
Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Disabling the rear 02s isn't quite the same issue, AFAIK.

Some tunes affect the OBDii readiness monitors (even tune-only tunes with no changes to the factory exhaust system), effectively having them always resetting and never "ready." Why, I do not know - maybe somehow it helps prevent CELs or something.

Alternatively, allegedly there is another way for the rear O2 sensors to be disabled and yet have no adverse impact on the OBDii readiness monitors... as I understand it, a car tuned in such a manner will pass an OBDii emissions inspection even without primary cats on the vehicle. It may not pass a visual inspection or a tailpipe sniffer, of course... but allegedly can pass the OBDii-ECU testing procedure.

YMMV.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
Wow I have their tune also. Maybe PM Jerry and see what he says or maybe he'll chime in here. When did you get your tune? Got Mine in Mar 2010.
I forgot the exact time, but it has been a little less than a year. I called Jerry, he was a lot of help as usual. I'll most likely have the dealer re-flash it to stock and try again.

Originally Posted by stangxs
I assume by "inspection" you mean "smog inspection"?

If so, my c63 also has a eurocharged tune, took it to get smoged 4 weeks ago, it failed at the first spot I took it to, guy said warm in up (essentially drive it hard) and bring it back after 3-4 hours bc he was backed up. I didn't have the time that day, so I drove it for about 20 mins after I left his shop (fairly hard) and took it to another smog shop, it passed just fine.
That's weird, but at least it worked for ya!

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Disabling the rear 02s isn't quite the same issue, AFAIK.

Some tunes affect the OBDii readiness monitors (even tune-only tunes with no changes to the factory exhaust system), effectively having them always resetting and never "ready." Why, I do not know - maybe somehow it helps prevent CELs or something.

Alternatively, allegedly there is another way for the rear O2 sensors to be disabled and yet have no adverse impact on the OBDii readiness monitors... as I understand it, a car tuned in such a manner will pass an OBDii emissions inspection even without primary cats on the vehicle. It may not pass a visual inspection or a tailpipe sniffer, of course... but allegedly can pass the OBDii-ECU testing procedure.

YMMV.
Informative post, thanks for your input Sir.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There was also a same issue with Kleemann's tune that has since been resolved with a reflash for a couple of members.

Vegas_AMG: Aren't we both due for an emissions check since we both bought our cars a week apart? Second year on a new car starts the annual emissions check, right?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I forgot the exact time, but it has been a little less than a year. I called Jerry, he was a lot of help as usual. I'll most likely have the dealer re-flash it to stock and try again.

That's weird, but at least it worked for ya!

Informative post, thanks for your input Sir.
Re flashing to stock is the 100% solution. However you've just dropped your pants so to speak with MBZ regarding modifications. Perhaps your tuner will flash back to stock, let you pass smog and flash back your performance tune for a modest charge.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 PM

C63
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Re flashing to stock is the 100% solution. However you've just dropped your pants so to speak with MBZ regarding modifications. Perhaps your tuner will flash back to stock, let you pass smog and flash back your performance tune for a modest charge.
I had initially planned to have MB flash it to stock, pass the inspection and then have Eurocharge tune it again. Unfortunately though, the service advisor said "We can't just reflash it, we'll have to take it in and figure out what's wrong first." Lol, now I will just let Jerry take care of it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM

C63
Just wanted to follow up for anyone who runs into a similar problem.

Jerry flashed it back to stock and I put a 50+ miles on it before getting it reinspected. I passed this time around with no problem! Now I just have to wait for Jerry to come back to town so I could get it tuned again! Great guys at Eurocharged, thank you Jerry.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Why can't he simply flash a tune with the monitors on?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Just wanted to follow up for anyone who runs into a similar problem.

Jerry flashed it back to stock and I put a 50+ miles on it before getting it reinspected. I passed this time around with no problem! Now I just have to wait for Jerry to come back to town so I could get it tuned again! Great guys at Eurocharged, thank you Jerry.
So the work-around is having to get flashed back to stock, driving enough that the OBDii readiness monitors reset, pass that way... and then eventually getting retuned? I wonder if, given more time to work with, Jerry can adjust the tuned-file for Stage 1 cars (i.e. owners who leave the factory cats in place) so that they don't unnecessarily fail inspection.

In PA, we have to get a safety inspection and OBDii emissions inspection performed annually... the procedure you mention above would get old real quick.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM

C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
So the work-around is having to get flashed back to stock, driving enough that the OBDii readiness monitors reset, pass that way... and then eventually getting retuned? I wonder if, given more time to work with, Jerry can adjust the tuned-file for Stage 1 cars (i.e. owners who leave the factory cats in place) so that they don't unnecessarily fail inspection.

In PA, we have to get a safety inspection and OBDii emissions inspection performed annually... the procedure you mention above would get old real quick.
Lol, I agree about it getting old eventually. Jerry did mention something about this not being a common issue, maybe it was that particular tune file that was to blame. A few other people who have the EC tune or similar tune files have not had a similar issue, so maybe it has been resolved already?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Why are you guys needing smog inspection on cars that are a few years old? Did CA emissions law change again?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by arctichaze
Why are you guys needing smog inspection on cars that are a few years old? Did CA emissions law change again?
I think when cars are sold used, they have to be smog inspected regardless of how new they actually are. So if someone is buying a "used" 2011 C63, they would have to smog certify it to be able to register it. If the car is bought new, then I believe you have a 5-year pass (the first 2 smog inspections waived).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM

C63
Can't speak for anywhere else, but similar to PA, emissions testing is an annual requirement here in Texas for used and new vehicles.