Drove a 2011 Maserati Granturismo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Drove a 2011 Maserati Granturismo S

I finally got to drive the car I thought would be next in line to replace my C63, it has useable seats in the rear and is classified as an exotic. I had very serious thoughts of a SLS after driving a few of them on the track and decided maybe I could use the rear seats if needed, thats how the Maserati entered the equation. Even though this car would be a third car....so a toy in essence. I left that 1 hour test drive of the Maserati somewhat dissappointed. Yes the interior is beautiful and the sound that Granturismo S makes is exotic, but I found the car completely under performed for me. The dealer couldnt get over the fact of how I felt. In fact, the first thing I did when I left the dealer is just rip my car with windows down, and the rush of power the 63 makes is no comparison. I immediately felt vindicated of my thoughts. I am left wanting to love the Maserati, but I cant accept the lack of oomph that it showed. Sort of like trying to fall in love with that perfect girl...but she lacks something passionate. I am now back to AMG powered cars as it seems that they are the only ones who give me that big V8 sound and torque that I love, so back to the SLS forum. I just realized that we have one of the best motored cars in the automotive world....for me anyways....thanks AMG for making this Italian(me) wanting to drive the german cars. My MB dealer is releived that I didnt stray away.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by 1st amg
I finally got to drive the car I thought would be next in line to replace my C63, it has useable seats in the rear and is classified as an exotic. I had very serious thoughts of a SLS after driving a few of them on the track and decided maybe I could use the rear seats if needed, thats how the Maserati entered the equation. Even though this car would be a third car....so a toy in essence. I left that 1 hour test drive of the Maserati somewhat dissappointed. Yes the interior is beautiful and the sound that Granturismo S makes is exotic, but I found the car completely under performed for me. The dealer couldnt get over the fact of how I felt. In fact, the first thing I did when I left the dealer is just rip my car with windows down, and the rush of power the 63 makes is no comparison. I immediately felt vindicated of my thoughts. I am left wanting to love the Maserati, but I cant accept the lack of oomph that it showed. Sort of like trying to fall in love with that perfect girl...but she lacks something passionate. I am now back to AMG powered cars as it seems that they are the only ones who give me that big V8 sound and torque that I love, so back to the SLS forum. I just realized that we have one of the best motored cars in the automotive world....for me anyways....thanks AMG for making this Italian(me) wanting to drive the german cars. My MB dealer is releived that I didnt stray away.
I completely understand where you're coming from. There's just no substitute for large displacement.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
Lemme guess, no torque and dated electronics.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 AM
JCH

2009 C63
Yep, a good example of "form over substance". I was looking at one too prior to pulling the trigger on the C63.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 AM

B8 S4 STASIS
Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradle
Old 06-26-2011, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I'd rather be caught in a Panamera
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Tell them about the ZR1 at Calabogie. Me and my brother, 1st amg, both had the chance to drive this car on the road but Nick got to drive it at the track. The ZR1 is absolutely shocking. Nuts. Mesmerizing. Scary. Wow.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
I know where you're coming from and partially feel the same way about Aston Martin.

Also just recently picked up a 599 and prior to the purchase I test drove the California. The dealer was sitting next to me and he got completely offended when I mentioned it was under powered compared to the little C.

Ken
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The M157 AMG with the PP is your best bet!!!! (CL or CLS or wait for the E)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I completely understand where you're coming from. There's just no substitute for large displacement.
... other than Forced Induction
Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by arctichaze
... other than Forced Induction
I guess the question is whether FI engines can typically provide the same low-end torque and lack of lag as large-displacement NA engines. Seems not from my experience, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM

2015 Porsche C2S, 2014 ML63 AMG, & 2012 Maserati Quattroporte S
This is strictly talking about toys. Maserati GranTurismo S is nice and all but the price figure can get you a lot nicer cars than this. But this car does turn a lot of heads especially with Black or White exterior colour and Red interior. It is also nice that the engine is made by Ferrari but, like you said 1st amg, I do feel this car doesn't fancy us on the Performance figures which is disappointing. This is one of the major reason why this car will not be in my garage next year.

Not putting down on the image of Maserati due to the GTs but the more I read infos on the MC Stradle and ride it when I was in Monaco, this car is very very sexy plus the Performance we crave. The only problem is that it is a little difficult getting over here to Canada but that is not the major concern. However, Aston Martin DB9 price arrange is similar to MC Stradle. Comparing to the two, I would choose the DB9 for the win. But comparing DB9 to Audi R8 GT coming out soon, I would choose R8 GT.

As for DD car, Porsche 997 Turbo fully loaded including the PP is my next replacement for the C63. PDK is much much better than our gear box including the 2012 C63 AMG gear box
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM

2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
Originally Posted by coladin
Tell them about the ZR1 at Calabogie. Me and my brother, 1st amg, both had the chance to drive this car on the road but Nick got to drive it at the track. The ZR1 is absolutely shocking. Nuts. Mesmerizing. Scary. Wow.
I’ll probably get a lot of fire for this, but I understand the Aston Martin as I do with the ZR1, but I would never compare them. I’d not compare them with the C63 either:

1) ZR1 and Aston (except the rapide) are coupés. There are two-seaters (vantage) and four seaters (DBx, Virage), while the C63 is a sport saloon.

2) As a sport saloon, I guess I’d never trade it for any other sport saloon. It is a monster in the straight line, however, not a precision car. It is not as fast as the Ford GT or the vette, but you can’t carry 4 passengers and 40 liters of liquor inside the GT or ZR1. There’s no space! It is as powerful as it is convenient and that’s the brilliance of it. It has also the most beautiful tone I’ve ever heard.

3) The Aston Martins, in general, are not quarter-mile kings. Their grace resides in the precise handling, stability and above all questions, beauty of design, quality of materials and trim. They are gentlemen’s cars. The leather is impeccable and the possibility to customize each color for each part of the interior is excellent. The mercs and vettes cannot even dream of this level of personalization. Of course you can get an M3 for the handling, but not for the looks and style.

4) Vettes are quarter mile kings. They are made to be the fastest thing in a straight line, except for the SR-71 Blackbird, the F-22 Raptor and light itself. They do not have precise handling and maneuverability. Their interior trim is borrowed from the Fiat Panda and their instrument cluster comes from a P-51 with tads of Spitfires. Their job is to rule the drag races and they do this quite well for their price tag.

If I could get the three cars, I would. But if I had to choose to have just one, Id still get the C63 anytime. It is as practical as it is powerful. But that’s just because I live in a world of infinite desires and finite resources. The three vehicles are brilliant in their individual way and I’d never say one is better than the other. Depends on drivers priorities.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by mzporto
I’ll probably get a lot of fire for this, but I understand the Aston Martin as I do with the ZR1, but I would never compare them. I’d not compare them with the C63 either:

1) ZR1 and Aston (except the rapide) are coupés. There are two-seaters (vantage) and four seaters (DBx, Virage), while the C63 is a sport saloon.

2) As a sport saloon, I guess I’d never trade it for any other sport saloon. It is a monster in the straight line, however, not a precision car. It is not as fast as the Ford GT or the vette, but you can’t carry 4 passengers and 40 liters of liquor inside the GT or ZR1. There’s no space! It is as powerful as it is convenient and that’s the brilliance of it. It has also the most beautiful tone I’ve ever heard.

3) The Aston Martins, in general, are not quarter-mile kings. Their grace resides in the precise handling, stability and above all questions, beauty of design, quality of materials and trim. They are gentlemen’s cars. The leather is impeccable and the possibility to customize each color for each part of the interior is excellent. The mercs and vettes cannot even dream of this level of personalization. Of course you can get an M3 for the handling, but not for the looks and style.

4) Vettes are quarter mile kings. They are made to be the fastest thing in a straight line, except for the SR-71 Blackbird, the F-22 Raptor and light itself. They do not have precise handling and maneuverability. Their interior trim is borrowed from the Fiat Panda and their instrument cluster comes from a P-51 with tads of Spitfires. Their job is to rule the drag races and they do this quite well for their price tag.

If I could get the three cars, I would. But if I had to choose to have just one, Id still get the C63 anytime. It is as practical as it is powerful. But that’s just because I live in a world of infinite desires and finite resources. The three vehicles are brilliant in their individual way and I’d never say one is better than the other. Depends on drivers priorities.
It was a personal opinion as to the driving experience, not a direct comparison although the Maserati has 4 seats and a real trunk.

The ZR1 comments are plainly ignorant. I think you should brush up on your reading about this supercar.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
well said "mzporto"...but I have driven the ZR-1 a few time with the most recent a few weeks ago on the track, this car is nuts, the acceleration the sound, it has a relentless abundance of power that actually made me think twice as to how long I could keep it planted before I reached the turns, then with every lap I realized these honda civic sized wheels were acutally carbon ceramic brakes would allow me to late brake so deep into the corner and never have a problem....guys, the ZR-1 is a stupid fast car, it is built for the track and it seemed every lap out i could push it much harder and the car would not fail. I had this image of the ZR-1 as a souped up vette, american junk, but I have to say this is a supercar. I will also add that a few days prior to tracking the ZR-1, I drove a 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB F1 and I must say that this 400K plus car gave me the same rush. Anyway, the Granturismo S is still on my mind but I cant seem to fall in love with it. So in my thoughts it will remain and it wont take up a space in my garage. As far as the ZR-1, its a race car but lacks every feature of comfort that AMG would provide, so this will neither make it in my garage....unless I have a garage next to a race track, then its a must have.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by coladin
It was a personal opinion as to the driving experience, not a direct comparison although the Maserati has 4 seats and a real trunk.

The ZR1 comments are plainly ignorant. I think you should brush up on your reading about this supercar.
Dang, I was expecting some fire but not to be called ignorant

Ok, maybe I was harsh on the ZR1. It is not a WWII figter. But I've been in one and man, I really don't dig the interior. I found it completely outdated.

I also felt my brain squeezed against the back of my skull as it accelerated. Personal opinion disclaimer now: I found it, for a 700hp vehicle, that handling didn't look that great. I'm much more fan of the Porsches in general.

However, it did nurburgring in ~7:19. And Jeremy Clarckson elected it as best car of 2008. Maybe I'm ignorant... :p
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 AM

well said "mzporto"...but I have driven the ZR-1 a few time with the most recent a few weeks ago on the track, this car is nuts, the acceleration the sound, it has a relentless abundance of power that actually made me think twice as to how long I could keep it planted before I reached the turns, then with every lap I realized these honda civic sized wheels were acutally carbon ceramic brakes would allow me to late brake so deep into the corner and never have a problem....guys, the ZR-1 is a stupid fast car, it is built for the track and it seemed every lap out i could push it much harder and the car would not fail. I had this image of the ZR-1 as a souped up vette, american junk, but I have to say this is a supercar. I will also add that a few days prior to tracking the ZR-1, I drove a 2007 Ferrari 599 GTB F1 and I must say that this 400K plus car gave me the same rush. Anyway, the Granturismo S is still on my mind but I cant seem to fall in love with it. So in my thoughts it will remain and it wont take up a space in my garage. As far as the ZR-1, its a race car but lacks every feature of comfort that AMG would provide, so this will neither make it in my garage....unless I have a garage next to a race track, then its a must have.
Haha, I almost forgot the thread was about the Maserati. I don't dislike it. Never drove, never been in one. Have seen some and everytime I do, I think it just lacks passion and I don't know why...
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Question: You looking strictly coupe or saloon? Also is your C63 a toy or a family car?

I'm sensing that you are interested in coupe but don't want to give up the performance on the C63? I think the current generation 997 Turbo or Turbo S is the options you can think about.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig

Why is so many so ignorant about the Vette and the ZR1? The ZR1 is an amazing track car and a 1/4 mile king. Impossible to find more bang for your buck than the ZR1.

The ZR1 may not have the best build quality. The interior is lacking and the body is plasticy... but its a track machine so buy it for what it is... and at an amazing bargan for what it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKb6iSWc0k

Watch and learn....

Last edited by propain; 06-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by propain
Why is so many so ignorant about the Vette and the ZR1? The ZR1 is an amazing track car and a 1/4 mile king. Impossible to find more bang for your buck than the ZR1.

The ZR1 may not have the best build quality. The interior is lacking and the body is plasticy... but its a track machine so buy it for what it is... and at an amazing bargan for what it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKb6iSWc0k

Watch and learn....
I've always admired the Vette and the value it represents, though note that the ZR1 is over $110K, so not cheap except in comparison with outright supercars:

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1/

To see what it can do on the track, and to see what driving at the limit is like, check out the amazing Nurburgring video here (halfway down, on the left):

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1/#performance

Some observations from the video:

- Very high speeds in straights.

- Taking some significant curves at over 100 mph.

- Lots of precise corrections needed to maintain control at the limit, which only experienced racers have the skill to make (the rest of us will spin or go off the track).

Exciting but scary.

Addendum: Just noticed that propain has a link to a Nurburgring video also. The videos are both a little different, so maybe watch both.

Last edited by IAA-C63; 06-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by propain
Why is so many so ignorant about the Vette and the ZR1?
Its all about tradition and common knowledge, I guess. 60% of the world still think we live in the jungle among the monkeys, speak spanish and our capital city is Buenos Aires.

Its like that: brazilians stroll around naked and have fat butts. American cars can't turn.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Haha, I almost forgot the thread was about the Maserati. I don't dislike it. Never drove, never been in one. Have seen some and everytime I do, I think it just lacks passion and I don't know why...
Fair enough. Maserati GrantTurismo or even the S is in the same competition level as the Aston Martins and Bentley. It's the gentlemen's car, like you said. Its in a different league. This is the car that will be parked in front of a 5 star Hotel to bring up the image. People who work in hedge funds drive those cars and see it million of times in Canadian First Place underground parking.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Nick, gotta love reading your threads about different stories of your driving experience... btw, how did you managed to get your hand on a ZR1 on the track? You are one lucky man!! ... hehe!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Dang, I was expecting some fire but not to be called ignorant

Ok, maybe I was harsh on the ZR1. It is not a WWII figter. But I've been in one and man, I really don't dig the interior. I found it completely outdated.

I also felt my brain squeezed against the back of my skull as it accelerated. Personal opinion disclaimer now: I found it, for a 700hp vehicle, that handling didn't look that great. I'm much more fan of the Porsches in general.

However, it did nurburgring in ~7:19. And Jeremy Clarckson elected it as best car of 2008. Maybe I'm ignorant... :p
Well, your comments have proved otherwise, that you are not ignorant to know how fast the car is...or did you research it after?

The interior is typical Corvette, I agree, but as far as driving experience, it has a ride unbecoming of a supercar on the street, I found it quite comfortable considering it has 636bhp or whatever it is. I like the HUD a lot. I wish more cars had it. On the road it doesn't stand out but it can munch on almost all takers whether on the track or light to light.

I would go with a CLS63 instead of a GranTurismo S. 109000CAD for a brand new car, dealer in your city, intoxicating V8, tough to beat...or save abundle and get the C63 AMG coupe.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Its all about tradition and common knowledge, I guess. 60% of the world still think we live in the jungle among the monkeys, speak spanish and our capital city is Buenos Aires.

Its like that: brazilians stroll around naked and have fat butts. American cars can't turn.

That's funny!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2011 Maserati Granturismo S