C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2010 C63 PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
2010 C63 PROBLEM

Has anyone experienced a loose type feel through their steering wheel, there is no noise but it almost feels as if the front shock mountings are loose or worn when travelling over rough or bumpy road surfaces. MB dealer says this is normal in all C63's, if that's the case I don't want this car. If so please let me know what the problem was.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
I have the same feeling in my steering wheel. Mine is a 2009 w/p30 CPO I bought 6 months ago. I went for a ride with the service manager and he said nothing is wrong. I don't like the loose feeling but it not so bad I don't want the car! I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM

C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
The Mercedes runs like stink. But its no BMW in a corner.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Originally Posted by jspAMG

Jim
We are not talking about a handling problem. It's a loose,rattlie feeling in the steering wheel on a bump or rough surface.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Never experienced what you speak of Although I do have h&r coilovers.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM

C63

Jim
Has nothing to do with the handling, it's just very irritating cause it feels like the steering rack or front struts or something is loose. I had a BMW 335i & the handling sucked compared to my C63 even with coilovers.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jim07
We are not talking about a handling problem. It's a loose,rattlie feeling in the steering wheel on a bump or rough surface.
I know. Its the steering geometry. Its a good system but it has its limitations. BMW has this down.

There are two issues at work here. One is due to camber in the turn and the other is bump steer. At least that's the way I read the problem he's describing.

I have 2 C class and its just the way the car is.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by G AMG
Has nothing to do with the handling, it's just very irritating cause it feels like the steering rack or front struts or something is loose. I had a BMW 335i & the handling sucked compared to my C63 even with coilovers.
Can't really compare the two. Apples to Oranges.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM

The BMW is superior to the C63 in handling. Don't take my word for it. Look at something as mundane as Top Gear. The C63 spanks an M3 in a straight line but loses on the track. Only two ways to explain this, braking or ability to hold speed in a curve. The Mercedes wins on horsepower and is close enough in braking that its not a factor in this. The BMW handles curves much better and therefore can maintain more speed into a corner and get on the power sooner coming out.

I'm not slamming the Merc. I have 2 of them and sold my last BMW a week ago. I'm just stating it for what it is, the Merc is vaguer in corners and it is what it is.

That said, you should check alignment specs and tire pressures. Plus examine all of the suspension for worn or damaged parts. Because the Merc isn't bad, its just not a BMW.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Unk

C63
That's not the discussion at hand. The topic is rattling while going over bumps or potholes. I feel it too I just try to avoid bumps in the road.... I'm pretty sure it's normal With this car

The BMW is superior to the C63 in handling. Don't take my word for it. Look at something as mundane as Top Gear. The C63 spanks an M3 in a straight line but loses on the track. Only two ways to explain this, braking or ability to hold speed in a curve. The Mercedes wins on horsepower and is close enough in braking that its not a factor in this. The BMW handles curves much better and therefore can maintain more speed into a corner and get on the power sooner coming out.

I'm not slamming the Merc. I have 2 of them and sold my last BMW a week ago. I'm just stating it for what it is, the Merc is vaguer in corners and it is what it is.

That said, you should check alignment specs and tire pressures. Plus examine all of the suspension for worn or damaged parts. Because the Merc isn't bad, its just not a BMW.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Really? Rattling?? Where? Please read Post #1. There is no noise. Its a feeling. I got it too the first time I drove mine. I mentally said "Oh crap, its not a BMW." Doesn't mean I don't like mine and I sold the BMW. Could be a different issue entirely. But for me, I knew what it was, its NOT a BMW.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 04:12 PM

C63, F 360 Spyder, Jag XFR, M3, M5
Originally Posted by Unk
That's not the discussion at hand. The topic is rattling while going over bumps or potholes. I feel it too I just try to avoid bumps in the road.... I'm pretty sure it's normal With this car
Yes. I don't know why the discussion has veered towards handling. The problem is riding, suspension. I have as well noticed this aforementioned problem. It doesn't happen on any of my other cars, but I still find that despite this, the C63 maintains control, which should be the real concern. It's not like the car starts slamming right or left when you feel a give in the steering. It's not a huge concern.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Unk

C63
We get the point you like BMW and think it's the best handling car in the world good for you. We've all had different cars we're just discussing a specific issue on the c63 not handling.... Laslty you could feel rattling without hearing it...

Really? Rattling?? Where? Please read Post #1. There is no noise. Its a feeling. I got it too the first time I drove mine. I mentally said "Oh crap, its not a BMW." Doesn't mean I don't like mine and I sold the BMW. Could be a different issue entirely. But for me, I knew what it was, its NOT a BMW.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Its veered this way because I'm trying to say, its inherent in the car. And if you somehow think handling is not related to ride and suspension, I don't know what else to say.

If the car is aligned properly and the tires are inflated correctly and there are no worn or broken components, you have to just take what the people are telling you. Its acting normally. Personally, I think there's an issue with the suspension being stiff and America generally having third world roads.

The OP doesn't say much about it other than he perceives it to be worse than expected. I'm just coming at it from the perspective of driving these cars off the lot and knowing they already had compromises in their suspension that affects how they handle on bumps, particularly in corners. I know exactly what he's talking about. I have a rough patch leaving my house in a curve every day and the car dribbles and skates. BMWs do it too, its just not so pronounced unless the thrust arm bushings are shot.

Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM

BTW, the 335 probably sucked because of the coilovers. People tend to put on way more suspension than they need. It has side effects on the street.

Jim
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Has anyone experienced a loose type feel through their steering wheel, there is no noise but it almost feels as if the front shock mountings are loose or worn when travelling over rough or bumpy road surfaces. MB dealer says this is normal in all C63's, if that's the case I don't want this car. If so please let me know what the problem was.
This could be due to any of the following:

1) tie-rod ends are worn (which will definately create a loose feeling plus the car would wander a bit on a unevenly tarmaced road)

2) Worn out control arm bush (also creates more slack)

3) Worn out front shock absorber mountings (they are rubber with bearings)

Once you change some or all of the above, depending on what's worn, the car should have some sharp steering.

Top gear gave the new C63 kudos for having better steering feel than the M3 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
My 2011 C63's steering is fairly tight and precise, and on par or better than various BMWs and Porsches I've driven. I certainly wouldn't call it loose, so if yours feels that way, there may be a problem. I suggest that you get it checked out by someone qualified. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
Originally Posted by GMW
This could be due to any of the following:

1) tie-rod ends are worn (which will definately create a loose feeling plus the car would wander a bit on a unevenly tarmaced road)

2) Worn out control arm bush (also creates more slack)

3) Worn out front shock absorber mountings (they are rubber with bearings)

Once you change some or all of the above, depending on what's worn, the car should have some sharp steering.

Top gear gave the new C63 kudos for having better steering feel than the M3 if I'm not mistaken.
Precisely correct. These pieces are responsible for not transfering to the steering wheel the surface inperfections. I understand what the OP says and it does not have to do with the handling.

Test is simple. Go to a free (no traffic!) brick road or an irregular surface (bad recapped road, for example) and accelerate slightly. Then remove your hands from the wheel and observe it. It will slightly "rumble", going left and right, while the vehicle maintains its course.

This does not happen, or happens with much more discretion in other brand performance cars, such as the AMV8 Vantage and the M3. It also does not happen in my 130i, which is clearly an inferior car. Although, it happens even more in Audis, specially the entry-level or lesser models, such as A3, S3, A4 etc.

You can reduce - but not eliminate - this feeling by keeping the mentioned pieces in perfect condition and by inflating your front tires a little more. You'll feel it stiffer, with less variation, but it will still be there. If it is an issue for you, don't go for the C63.

But if you just don't want that because you are not used to it or because you may think it is dangerous, go for it. You will eventually get used to it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
the steering on my 09 is tight and razor sharp. no issues here.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
to the OP: have another fellow C63 owner drive your car and get their impression. I think I know what you are describing from my previous cars and neither of my two C63s feel/felt this way.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 PM

c63, r320 bluetec
I've had a similar issue with my 2010 C63. I will describe my experience and see if it's similar to what the OP is feeling.

On the highway, at speeds over 60 mph, the steering feels "loose". When traveling on a straight line at those speeds, if I shake the wheel a bit side to side there almost seems to be a delay in the response and when the car does move it does so with an almost floaty feel.

I brought it to the dealer and they said it was due to my upgrading to 275mm tires in the back! Of course I explained to them that the problem was occurring before I switched to the wider tire, but they insisted that was the problem. I have since completely swapped out the stock wheels to 19" wheels all around with 235/35 on the front and 275/30's on the rear. This did not seems to fix the problem (but they look cool so what the heck).

So here I am with a c63 that I do love (it's my second one), but that I don't feel really comfortable driving "briskly".

My initial thought was a bad tie rod, at least that's how it felt. My MB dealer quickly confirmed that all the suspension parts were fine, although I question if they even really looked.

The question is, do I bring it back to the dealer and tell them I swapped out the wheels/tires per their advise to no avail? I'm sure they will just blame it on the non stock wheels/tires, even though we all know that this is not the case. What do you guys think?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM

C63
Itdoesn't seem we have the same problem, mine is a knocking type feedback through the steering wheel which seems as if it originates from the steering rack or dampers & doesn't effect the handling, it's just irritating. Yours seems to be more suspension related as it is effecting the handling of your vehicle, probably the control arms & or bushes, also check your rear axle carrier & make sure the camber & alignment are correct on your car.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 AMG
Its the steering rack, complained about mine a few times and they said it was common on the c class 63, tightened the clamps and it as a bit better but still not 100%.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I think I understand exactly what you are talking about. This is one of the greater annoyances with my 09 P30. Its not a handling issue but a slight knocking kind of feedback through the steering wheel. Its almost like you can hear it sometimes as well. Most pronounced going over sharp ridges or turning into and going over the bumps into driveways. It sorts of feels like a slight bit of play between some solid parts. The more frequently I drive the car the more I notice it and it does take away from the driving experience. It makes me tip toe over bumps and zig zag down the road to avoid sharp bumps.
I have noticed it before in numerous other vehicles over the years that have either low profile wheels/tires and firm suspension, or both.
The first vehicle I noticed it in was back many years ago when I got to drive my Dads 450 SLC. It did it. Most recently I had two 07 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel's and they both did it as well. Particularly when I had the tire pressures maxed out and hitting the same bumps that make the Mercedes do it.
As well as rattles and squeeks, this is probably the biggest issue that brings up thoughts to sell the car.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
There is a recall on our cars for tightening some clamps or replacing them somewhere in the steering--search it or google it.
All C class (including C63) may have this problem.
Mention it to your dealer, most don't have a clue.
This could be the OPs prob--GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 C63 PROBLEM