C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tranny not built for track abuse :( and a questions on brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C63 w/ P31
Tranny not built for track abuse :( and a questions on brakes

So at the Speed District Buttonwillow event this weekend EVERY session my transmission would go into a limp mode on the 3rd or 4th lap. There would be reduced power and it wouldnt let me engage manual mode either and would shift very strangely. It didnt happen at Big Willow assuming because the day was a little cooler and higher speed track, so there was more cooling.

Also I think it is time for new brake pads...not sure which way to go. Anyone know what MB charges for the stock pads?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Stock pads are fine. Go through one of the parts companies selling through the web.

For more aggressive pads more suited for track, I believe EBC sells "Yellow Stuff" for our cars.

The transmission is more difficult. I would try s or s+ and do manual down shifts in the turns that may need it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
My advice, I kept it in S mode and it seemed to be in the right gear everytime...not as fun I know but no dangerous limp mode and full throttle all the time.

Brake pads, I did OEM for about 330$ cant remember for all 4. There might be some other better options that are less dusty like Endless or Hawk it seems like.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
The trans cooler is not up to the task for track use in hot weather. I have experienced this same issue when tracking in hot weather. i.e. over 100 degrees. I'm hoping that fluid motor union will come out with a larger transmission cooler for us much like they did with a larger oil cooler.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
I also found the transmissions to be the weak link during my day at Lime Rock for the AMG driving academy.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM

C63 2011
I experienced it everytimes when i track on a hot day.

Last edited by jakio; 07-12-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: ,,,
Old 07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
The trans will do that, It will automatically go into limp mode when it overheats, especially on a hot day.

You got a PM about the brake pads.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
amg, can you pm whatever you pm'd him? Do you sell pads or something?

Looking for prices on pads as well.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/////AMG
I drive on M mode on daily basis and on track. Never had a limp mode. I've heard that C63s are more prone to limp mode, don't know why. One of the C63 experienced limp mode on the last Big Willow event. Guess you lucked out on that one =)

Stock brake pads for the fronts are roughly anywhere from $275 to $350 for parts depending which dealership you buy it from.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
When I read these post it makes me scratch my head. I want to swear that AMG tested the motor in a ew geographic location representing extreme weather/altitude/temps.
Didn't they tested the car on the mojabe desert, then South Africa, Nurburgring, Sweeden and places like that?
I also seen a few videos of members here posting their cars on road courses and no issues, maybe someone can elaborate more...
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 AM

'11 C63 w/ P31
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Stock pads are fine. Go through one of the parts companies selling through the web.

For more aggressive pads more suited for track, I believe EBC sells "Yellow Stuff" for our cars.

The transmission is more difficult. I would try s or s+ and do manual down shifts in the turns that may need it.
Originally Posted by BerBer63
My advice, I kept it in S mode and it seemed to be in the right gear everytime...not as fun I know but no dangerous limp mode and full throttle all the time.

Brake pads, I did OEM for about 330$ cant remember for all 4. There might be some other better options that are less dusty like Endless or Hawk it seems like.
I drive in S mode on the track, too confusing in M mode cause it wont shift when I try sometimes then I end up in the wrong gear...POS tranny and it overheats! CRAP CRAP CRAP

Originally Posted by _AMG_
The trans will do that, It will automatically go into limp mode when it overheats, especially on a hot day.

You got a PM about the brake pads.
Thanks AMG!! Responded
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by solekeeper
amg, can you pm whatever you pm'd him? Do you sell pads or something?

Looking for prices on pads as well.
PM sent.

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Thanks AMG!! Responded
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
I drive in S mode on the track, too confusing in M mode cause it wont shift when I try sometimes then I end up in the wrong gear...POS tranny and it overheats! CRAP CRAP CRAP

Thanks AMG!! Responded
you think this trans is bad on the track wait and see the MCT like the SL and the E they have to be driving in M or C on a track, if you use S or S+ limp mode comes on the 2nd lap around. (learned that in AMG school)
We were told to short shift while using M in the E63, but the c63's they had there all were P31 and non had a problem, i know the one i drive i used M and i was redlining like crazy temps never went passed 264F.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Interesting comment from Mthis. That would be bad news if the new MCT does not hold as good as the ones we have. Anyone can confirm this?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
if I had the dough to waste I would be the first to put a manual tranny in this car! It would be so much fun to have this car with a 6 speed!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
if I had the dough to waste I would be the first to put a manual tranny in this car! It would be so much fun to have this car with a 6 speed!
A sequential gear box would be pretty sick to for track purposes.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by emericr
Interesting comment from Mthis. That would be bad news if the new MCT does not hold as good as the ones we have. Anyone can confirm this?
Can confirm that this. Limp kicked in on E at Road Atlanta Pro event and car ran very hot to the point had to back off. Drove new CLS at Paul Richard and it went into limp mode as well. Never had a C/SLS/SL do it yet.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
Originally Posted by harrower
Can confirm that this. Limp kicked in on E at Road Atlanta Pro event and car ran very hot to the point had to back off. Drove new CLS at Paul Richard and it went into limp mode as well. Never had a C/SLS/SL do it yet.
well definitely seems that Merc's arent made to deal with the track at all. It really sucked that my car kept going into limp mode...Im surprised the C63's nurburgring time was 10+ minutes for the the minute cool down it needed halfway thru the lap!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Guys,
I believe the tranny "limp mode" is tied to the engine temperature. I have only experienced that problem once at Road Atlanta when the oil temps got above 275 degrees. I never had problems below the 265 mark. Try running without the front grill or a modified front grill. Also remove the front engine cover because it traps heat.

I am working on an additional oil cooler and will advise when and if it works. Keep the engine cooler and I don't think you will have the tranny problems. If you are running in a DE event and are running up on people, upshift and give the engine a break. You can also run the Motul 300 oil and that may help. You should also change the tranny fluid every time you put the car into limp mode because you have cooked the fluid. Also look into the intake manifold gaskets that insulate the intake from the heads. That works both ways. I have run Homestead and Sebring in very high heat many times without a problem.

Last edited by Dads C63; 07-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
well definitely seems that Merc's arent made to deal with the track at all. It really sucked that my car kept going into limp mode...Im surprised the C63's nurburgring time was 10+ minutes for the the minute cool down it needed halfway thru the lap!!!!
To be fair, a C63 wasn't built for the track. I had my CLK numerous times at the track and never had an issue with the trans or power steering overheating. But than again, my car has oil coolers to prevent that.

Since a CLK and a C share the same transmission, ordering the oil cooler from the dealer and installing them shouldn't be too difficult. I think it's worth a try.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:19 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
Originally Posted by Dads C63
Guys,
I believe the tranny "limp mode" is tied to the engine temperature. I have only experienced that problem once at Road Atlanta when the oil temps got above 275 degrees. I never had problems below the 265 mark. Try running without the front grill or a modified front grill. Also remove the front engine cover because it traps heat.

I am working on an additional oil cooler and will advise when and if it works. Keep the engine cooler and I don't think you will have the tranny problems. If you are running in a DE event and are running up on people, upshift and give the engine a break. You can also run the Motul 300 oil and that may help. You should also change the tranny fluid every time you put the car into limp mode because you have cooked the fluid. Also look into the intake manifold gaskets that insulate the intake from the heads. That works both ways. I have run Homestead and Sebring in very high heat many times without a problem.
Thanks for the tips. It was very hot, didn't look while on track but driving home car read 107, think engine temp ranged from 270 up once running a lap or 2

Originally Posted by SMP
To be fair, a C63 wasn't built for the track. I had my CLK numerous times at the track and never had an issue with the trans or power steering overheating. But than again, my car has oil coolers to prevent that.

Since a CLK and a C share the same transmission, ordering the oil cooler from the dealer and installing them shouldn't be too difficult. I think it's worth a try.
True, I was just ball busting the car...I had a blast with it on the track. Thanks for the cooler tips
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by qship5
The trans cooler is not up to the task for track use in hot weather. I have experienced this same issue when tracking in hot weather. i.e. over 100 degrees. I'm hoping that fluid motor union will come out with a larger transmission cooler for us much like they did with a larger oil cooler.

Hope someone develops a larger tranny cooler as this is the best solution.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I ran into the same problem during the AMG Academy when driving the W212 E63s on the track... after a few hard shifts, they would go into limp mode but some definitely took longer than others. The instructors told us that AMG advised to use S instead of manual in order to alleviate some of the heat issues.

The CLK Black Series doesn't have that problem as it has an extra oil cooler, differential cooler, and tranny oil cooler.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM

M156 and LS7
From my experience, engine limp mode and tranny limp mode are different,
on a very hot and humid track day, my engine oil temperature went up to 277 degrees, I berried my foot down to the floor, but I don't feel the power at all the straight, thats engine limp mode, after 20 mins cool down, power back again, another time, I was manual shifting the car up to 5-6 laps on the track, suddenly the tranny went into sports mode by itself, I cannot shift back to manual, I believe thats tranny limp mode, they do depend on how hard you drive, but don't seem to tie with each other.

An upgraded oil cooler is very welcome.

Originally Posted by Dads C63
Guys,

Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
This sucks to hear (or read).

BFNYM156 brings up an interesting point and I remember reading about the tranny limp mode as described before.
So I guess it was engine limp mode and tranny limp mode you were experiencing and we all know this car can't cool down fast enough in stock trim.
This sounds like a good topic for the next live chat on the PL.
Maybe the AMG techs can shed some light on this "defect"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny not built for track abuse :( and a questions on brakes