C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Help finding quality rear wing and front lip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Help finding quality rear wing and front lip

So my experiences thus far have been poor. 6 weeks ago I ordered an Akrym front lip from DCT, the lip was shipped promptly, but arrived damaged (shipping). DCT was quick to replace the lip within a week, however, I decided to wait to install until I recieved the last fiberglass "big wing" from MCD. This spoiler arrived Friday with a slight chip on the right end, nothing the body shop couldn't handle. So I get everything ready to take over, and see the front lip has another broken area, ...again, I just decide to let the body shop handle it. Fortunately, I have a good body shop / painter, they ask that we test fit everything beforehand, as their experince with aftermarket parts (as we all know) usually means it ain't just "paint and bolt on". This was indeed the case. The front lip has a gap on the passenger side where it meets the lower bumper, ...we're hoping a screw may snug that up on the underside. Eitherway, the front lip needs a lot of re-finishing. The rear deck wing was worse. It had a 3/8" gap at the end on the passenger side. The 3M tape isn't gonna be enough to keep it down.

So, am I back at square one? Is this one of those cases, ...you get what you pay for? Any suggestions?

Again, I probably should have known better than tp try and use inexpensive parts on a 70k car. However, with all the positive feedback from the members here, I was happy to jump on these parts.

Anyone else have any of these issues? Am I just stuck with paying top dollar for the "high end" stuff? ...assuming they even have good fitment.

Greg, ...at a loss.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
This is the reason I haven't bought anything cheap yet... I think you should go with Vath lip and Vath rear spolier. Sure you will have to drop 2000$, but you will have absolutely perfect fit and perfect look. Besides, their products are tested in a wind tunnel with speeds of wind exceeding 200 mph. Some people will argue it's a waste of money, but it really isnt. I would have Vath lip or from a company as reputable as them, but if I couldnt afford it, I would rather leave the car as it is, then go on and put some products that don't even fit properly. I mean for god's sake make it fit at least.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Sorry to hear bout that, The ARKYM front lip should fit like a glove.
If you want quality CF parts that fit then go with companies like Vorstiener.

Last edited by _AMG_; 07-20-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
My Euroteck CF lip and rear diffuser were TOP Quality and fitment. I have ordered CF trunk spoilers from several sources on the forum. I currently DO NOT have a spoiler on my trunk. Revozport makes great parts and Vorsteiner is unmatched from what I've seen, but you will pay top dollar for the products.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM

2010 C63 AMG
I may not have noted this, but I'm actually looking for Fiberglass parts, as I have fallem victmem of carbon fiber overload on all of my previous cars. if the same part is available in fiberglass, I would choose it over cf. Yes, I know I can paint the cf, but it seesm like such a waste. LOL

I have done a bit more searching, ...and per "U2", I still haven't found what i'm looking for. I do love the Akrym front lip, and plan on keeping it, unless I can find yet another better fitting unit. But it is the rear winf I am in search of. I like the OEM look, jusy want a more pronounced version of it.

So, ...toss me out some suggestions, links and prices, ...if it's good and available, i'll most likely do it.

I really like this piece too, which I beleive is a Renntech wing?

possibly matched with either the current Arkym or this piece from Vath?

Last edited by glilly; 07-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Most of the high end products will be CF. I know it seems like a shame to cover it with paint but you will still benefit from the weight savings.
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/405
OUCH!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That is too bad on the MCD fibeglass wing. Mine wasn't too bad...just minor tweaking. I have fit many fiberglass products over the years. The worst has to be an OSIR (not exactly cheap stuff) frt spoiler for my MKV GTI. I needed to cut the radius down on the entire passenger frt corner and re-fiberglass it. PITA....yes! MCD actually used pics of my car (the one with pics taken in the garage) and fitment wasn't too bad. If you hold one end down, the gap on the other end could be about 3/8" or more. If you center the rear spoiler like on a teter-toter, do you still get 3/8" gaps on both ends?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
That is too bad on the MCD fibeglass wing. Mine wasn't too bad...just minor tweaking. I have fit many fiberglass products over the years. The worst has to be an OSIR (not exactly cheap stuff) frt spoiler for my MKV GTI. I needed to cut the radius down on the entire passenger frt corner and re-fiberglass it. PITA....yes! MCD actually used pics of my car (the one with pics taken in the garage) and fitment wasn't too bad. If you hold one end down, the gap on the other end could be about 3/8" or more. If you center the rear spoiler like on a teter-toter, do you still get 3/8" gaps on both ends?

I may mess with it again tomorrow, ...I just HATE the fact that it isn't "right" to begin with, ...I use my car as a show car as well as a pleasure vehicle, ....so these things are a big deal to me. I just may have to wait and save up for those RennTech parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
When they start making front lips out of proper PU material that fits, I'll buy one.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I ordered the ARKYM kit from DCT and have nothing but positive things to say about them. Fitment was perfect and shipping was fast. I am sorry you've had so much trouble.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BK63amg
I ordered the ARKYM kit from DCT and have nothing but positive things to say about them. Fitment was perfect and shipping was fast. I am sorry you've had so much trouble.
I'm definitely not being negative about DCT, ...they have the best customer service i've seen in some time, they quickly replaced my damaged unit, and shipping was fast, I could easily get a hold of them.

However, my lip did not "test fit" perfect. As stated, i'm going forward with the install, having it painted and fitted as we speak.

My point was to the thread, is my luck hasn;t been good with these parts fitting correctly. The time i'll be paying for the painter to properly prep, paint and fit thee pieces should be noted as "it's not just a paint and bolt on" process. I do believe you get what you pay for. I'd be more concerned if I paid the $1300 for the CF version and had the same issue with fitment.

As for the rear wing from MCD, I still haven't heard back, and it's been 3 days now. Again, I've asked the painter to try and shave off some of the center section so we can try and get a better fitment. But again, the time to do this goes past the cost of "just buying a part" you'd expect to properly fit in the first place.

I guess (and hope, as long as it works) that the end price will still come in way under the $1000-1700 "high end" options.

Keep your fingers crossed with me, let's just hope this works!

Greg