Rigid Collar for C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63
Rigid Collar for C63

I cant explain so please watch video below. Its made by tuner called "Spoon" in Japan. It makes your car handle better, smooth, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD...eature=related
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Here is picture of Rigid Collar for C63.
Attached Thumbnails Rigid Collar for C63-545x362-2010031000002-104.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Very nice find HIRO! Definitely worth looking more into.
How much are these for the C63?

Last edited by _AMG_; 07-21-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
I need some of those for a lot of cars... Who is their US Distributor? Anyone know? This sounds like a job for Keith.

Jim
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Retail price I think is 19,000 yen for front and 19,000 yen for rear. So total will be 38,000 yen ($475 USD). Since right now its 80 yen to $1 so it will be expensive. Spoon holds Pat for the product so I think that you only can buy thru Spoon.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
I found Spoon english website and they do have dist all around the world so maybe you can buy from there?
http://www.spoon.jp/eng/
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Thought spoon makes parts specifically for Hondas?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Spoon is special for Honda cars but for this product they have for most of cars out there including C63. They do make fast Honda cars.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM

axe muderer with headlights
This product actually makes sense and it's reasonable in its claims unlike most of the stuff I see posted here.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Very interesting...I'd like to see somebody install them and provide a write-up on the experience to see if it's worthwhile.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
seeing how our engines are huge, i can see this having great benefit for the front mounts.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM

axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by noodleman
seeing how our engines are huge, i can see this having great benefit for the front mounts.
It's for the sub-frame not the motor mount.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM

if the aluminum is soft enough to creep like that I would think you'd better be prepared to encounter constantly loose subframe bolts over time.

I personally don't think there is any value to this.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 AM

c63, prius
it is a nice product...but what happen if i own a fwd vehicle and i need to drop the subrame to remove transmission? i am sure having this product and driving the car after one winter....the subframe will not be able to drop again....due to salty road!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63
Originally Posted by dacatz
it is a nice product...but what happen if i own a fwd vehicle and i need to drop the subrame to remove transmission? i am sure having this product and driving the car after one winter....the subframe will not be able to drop again....due to salty road!
Why would you install a performance product on a fwd economy car? I saw that you have a Prius listed next to your C63. I don't think is makes any sense to install any performance equipment on a Prius, but to each their own.

I believe these collars are Aluminum, so they won’t degrade quite like bare steel will. Also if you have structural rust issues bad enough to fuse components to the unibody, these collars should be the last of your worries. In theory, these collars might actually help avoid corrosion issues as they keep the individual steel components from touching one another.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by TexasEngineer
Why would you install a performance product on a fwd economy car? I saw that you have a Prius listed next to your C63. I don't think is makes any sense to install any performance equipment on a Prius, but to each their own.

I believe these collars are Aluminum, so they won’t degrade quite like bare steel will. Also if you have structural rust issues bad enough to fuse components to the unibody, these collars should be the last of your worries. In theory, these collars might actually help avoid corrosion issues as they keep the individual steel components from touching one another.
I dont think you understand, the demo is on a Prius. The product isnt fwd specific and from my take on OP, there is a C63 kit.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
I dont think you understand, the demo is on a Prius. The product isnt fwd specific and from my take on OP, there is a C63 kit.
I understand perfectly well that the product is not fwd specific. It is quite obvious if you watched the video or looked at the website. I was replying to dacatz's comment on rust problems he anticipated on his prius. I was also commenting that it is kind of silly for someone to install a performance product on an economy car. I don't think you understood my post.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
this is basically saying that mercedes or other manufacturers are making crap products

if this was really the case those bolts would have sheared right through after a short time, if there was so much play....we obviously dont see that do we..
Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
this is basically saying that mercedes or other manufacturers are making crap products

if this was really the case those bolts would have sheared right through after a short time, if there was so much play....we obviously dont see that do we..
That is absolutely not true at all. There is always deflection (movement) in mechanical joints. In fact, there is always deflection in solid structures as well. Nothing is perfectly rigid. This product merely claims to do two things, make the chassis more rigid and also make for truer alignment. If you think there is absolutely no movement in you sub-frames and that they site perfectly flush, pull them and take a look. You might be surprised.

Your statement is kind of like saying, "the tuners on this forum are basically saying that Mercedes or other manufacturers are making crap products, because the claim to get more performance out of the car than was there originally."
Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
sometimes i do think that, esp with the immense influx of tuners... amg, m sport, all the hi end manufacturers have yrs of research to optimize a product and then all of a sudden tuners are making products taht are considered head over heel better.....now im not saying this is all the cases..theere are good tuners out there...amg was obviously good enuf to get bought by meredes...i just sometimes find it hard to beleive there are so many issues or faults that need to be improved when u are buyiug top of the line M and AMG and RS cars out there

i bet someone showed up outside the bugatti factory with a chip in hand to give his blessing on the veryon
Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
sometimes i do think that, esp with the immense influx of tuners... amg, m sport, all the hi end manufacturers have yrs of research to optimize a product and then all of a sudden tuners are making products taht are considered head over heel better.....now im not saying this is all the cases..theere are good tuners out there...amg was obviously good enuf to get bought by meredes...i just sometimes find it hard to beleive there are so many issues or faults that need to be improved when u are buyiug top of the line M and AMG and RS cars out there

i bet someone showed up outside the bugatti factory with a chip in hand to give his blessing on the veryon
Engineering, designing, and building a product is always a balance between price and performance. There is always something left on the table performance wise. Sometimes it is done on purpose by the manufacturer as part of a tier system. MB does this quite often (i.e. C63 at 451hp and the e63 at 507hp). Most often compromising performance is done to reduce costs. Engineers and designers set goals and targets for performance. How you achieve these goals is balanced against economics, ascetics/desirability, regulations and so on. This process often leads many areas that tuners can exploit. A perfect example on most 63 AMGs is the exhaust manifolds. It would have been more expensive for AMG to developed a more efficient manifold, but it obviously would have netted decent hp. They chose not to as they were able to meet their hp goals without it. On the other hand, the SLS has more efficient manifolds, because it has different goals and economics in its design.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by TexasEngineer
Engineering, designing, and building a product is always a balance between price and performance. There is always something left on the table performance wise. Sometimes it is done on purpose by the manufacturer as part of a tier system. MB does this quite often (i.e. C63 at 451hp and the e63 at 507hp). Most often compromising performance is done to reduce costs. Engineers and designers set goals and targets for performance. How you achieve these goals is balanced against economics, ascetics/desirability, regulations and so on. This process often leads many areas that tuners can exploit. A perfect example on most 63 AMGs is the exhaust manifolds. It would have been more expensive for AMG to developed a more efficient manifold, but it obviously would have netted decent hp. They chose not to as they were able to meet their hp goals without it. On the other hand, the SLS has more efficient manifolds, because it has different goals and economics in its design.
You honestly think AMG/MB wouldn't throw in 12 pieces of aluminum at a cost of $3 if it made that much of a difference?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
it'd cost AMG/MB way more than $3 for them to put this collar on their cars. There are a ton of other costs that would be associated with the actual part for AMG/MB to pay up.

The perfect analogy is Microsoft. They could add two lines of code in framework somewhere to make everyone lives easier, but the man hours required by MS to do this is ridiculously high (project planning, design, code, peer review, testing, deployment plans etc). the same two lines of code you could add in yourself in 5 min would cost MS something like a month to do (not an exaggeration).
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by noodleman
it'd cost AMG/MB way more than $3 for them to put this collar on their cars. There are a ton of other costs that would be associated with the actual part for AMG/MB to pay up.

The perfect analogy is Microsoft. They could add two lines of code in framework somewhere to make everyone lives easier, but the man hours required by MS to do this is ridiculously high (project planning, design, code, peer review, testing, deployment plans etc). the same two lines of code you could add in yourself in 5 min would cost MS something like a month to do (not an exaggeration).
The team that worked on the windows gui was 60-90 people. adding two lines of code does NOT take a month.

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-e...t-the-company/

Last edited by wankeldude; 07-23-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Ooooooh a 6yr old thread resurrect!

Just ordered these after doing quite a bit of research on them and finally tracking down a full set on eBay. Making my push now to get the car track-ready for spring - also have KW Clubsports and adjustable end-links on the way, and might pick up a full set of KMac bushings as well.

There are going to be a lot of changes all at once, but I'll let you guys know what we find when we take apart the subframe to fit these Rigid Collars. Got the idea from Phil Chow's post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6925307

Here's the info video in Japanese:

And in English if that's more your thing:

Plenty of reviews out there, and a lot of theoretical debate on whether or not they are effective - here's a decent laymans-type write up: http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/06/...s_to_the_gt_r/

Decent engineering debate here a few pages in: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspe...ollar-kit.html

Thoughts? The theory is.... sound I guess, and they were inexpensive enough to give it a shot. With the addition of stiffer bushings all around, and adjustable control arms/bushings/camber plates, I think there could be some benefit here....

Last edited by BLKROKT; 02-24-2017 at 02:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (02-27-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rigid Collar for C63