C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Is C63 Really Worth $70k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
Is C63 Really Worth $70k?

No no flame intended! I have much respect for the car as well as the M3. But I got to thinking... I was out driving Jag XF and E Class looking for a daily driver.

Since the wife would drive the daily car as well and she likes smaller cars I ended up looking at C as well. That's when it hit me. A C class is around $35-$40k. Although I'm a gearhead enthusiast I began to wonder... Does a C63 REALLY have nearly $40k more content? I bet the difference between the motors cost Mercedes under $10k. Then there's suspension, brakes, seats steering wheel. Again for Mercedes all these likely cost under $5k. Seems like the the C63 should be priced around $55k - NOT $70k...

The same goes for the M3. Is it just me or does it seem that these compact high performance cars have forgotten objective. They are pocket rockets at the bottom of their respective brands and should be priced accordingly no? Seems like a contradiction for a C or an M3 to be priced upwards of $70k with Big body flagships like Jag XJ, 550, 6 Series.

I've considered one and I keep coming back to them. Might get a used one for $45k. Two questions:

1) Have any of you been able to logically quantify the price difference?

2) Those of you that bought a new one, have you regreted spending $70k on a car that to everyone else is looks like $30k car?

P.S. the toys I'm considering to complement the daily driver is a Viper SRT Coupe, Aston Vantage, Nissan GTR, C63. All are about $60k, C63 around $45k.

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E46 M3, '09 C63
A car for a person is worth the amount of money a person spent on it.

Cost wise, you are correct that it is probably not...but then again these companies will surely sell the car for as much profit as they can squeeze out.

Also, the cars for enthusiasts at least is more than just the sum of its parts...to some, a $70,000 car than can run with P-cars and G-cars that all cost over $100,000 is a bargain!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes C63
Huh?

Originally Posted by Raron

2) Those of you that bought a new one, have you regreted spending $70k on a car that to everyone else is looks like $30k car?
This leads me to believe that you haven't driven a C63. Drive one for yourself and I think many of your questions would be answered.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping...
True. But Evo's can do that too. Perhaps its the mystery of know that you are one of the few that know the car was $70k and that you are enough of a purist to be willing to pay. It's as if it allows the enthusiasts to be the "man they want to be" if that makes sense.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM

E46 M3, '09 C63
Evo and the C63 Merc are totally different cars...I have both and they are NOT thesame.

And besides, there is a similarity w Evos also...an Evo is a $30,000 car, when you can buy a Lancer for $15,000...Is it worth buying the Evo? Judging by its popularity, I think it is

In looking at its value, I also consider that the car, given its performance, is still a 4-Door, great interior amenities, comfortable for daily drive, can be discreet at low load scenarios but can be a monster when getting on the loud pedal. Decent enough to drive around without being labelled as a "ricer" or a tuner kid or whatnot...

True. But Evo's can do that too. Perhaps its the mystery of know that you are one of the few that know the car was $70k and that you are enough of a purist to be willing to pay. It's as if it allows the enthusiasts to be the "man they want to be" if that makes sense.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 AM

2011 Boxster Spyder, 2005 M3, 2000 Z3 M Coupe
Is a C63 really worth $70k?

That's a very open question that brings into account both what the market will bear and what value people place on it's specific qualities as vehicle. Clearly there is a market for it, otherwise they would be sitting on lots rotting and being given away with massive trunk money. Which is something I assume you are likely familiar with as we are both former Z4M Coupe owners .

There are many here, probably the majority, who at the $35-$40k price point would go for a base C-class or 3 series if shopping for a new car. I was just shopping for a daily driver at the same price point. I bought a new 2011 Challenger SRT8 with the new 6.4L (392 CI.) V8 engine. So clearly I chose to put my money towards performance as opposed to the "European Luxury factor." And no I'm not a hater, I also own an E46 M3 and appreciate the differences.

So at the $35-$40k price point I "feel" like my Challenger was a good value. I could have spent $70k to step up to a C63 or an E92 M3, but just like you have indicated there is a large $ premium to step "up" to those cars for arguable/negligible performance gains vs my near 500hp Challenger.

So for that $35-$40k you can have either "performance" or "luxury" but to have both you going to need to pay that additional $30k premium.

What I think this discussion really comes down to though is that for new cars, all sporty options consist of basically the same formula at this price range. At around 70k you can get a C63, M3, S5, TT-RS, Vette Grand Sport, Boxster or Cayman. These cars all place luxury as arguably their most important selling point for the large majority of their target demographic. Therefore all these cars are best described as Luxury Grand Tourers. This aprox $70k middle ground is sort of a no mans land for true "sports cars."

Every one of the cars you mentioned you are contemplating other than the C63 cost well over $70k new: Viper SRT Coupe, Aston Vantage, Nissan GTR. These cars are much more serious sports cars than anything at $70k. (Aston is debatable but I still contend as much)

It seems odd doesn't it that you have to spend more than $70k to get a car that will up the sportiness over a C63 regardless of whether its "level of luxury" is lower or higher.

Last edited by HBspeed; 08-19-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
No no flame intended! I have much respect for the car as well as the M3. But I got to thinking... I was out driving Jag XF and E Class looking for a daily driver.

Since the wife would drive the daily car as well and she likes smaller cars I ended up looking at C as well. That's when it hit me. A C class is around $35-$40k. Although I'm a gearhead enthusiast I began to wonder... Does a C63 REALLY have nearly $40k more content? I bet the difference between the motors cost Mercedes under $10k. Then there's suspension, brakes, seats steering wheel. Again for Mercedes all these likely cost under $5k. Seems like the the C63 should be priced around $55k - NOT $70k...

The same goes for the M3. Is it just me or does it seem that these compact high performance cars have forgotten objective. They are pocket rockets at the bottom of their respective brands and should be priced accordingly no? Seems like a contradiction for a C or an M3 to be priced upwards of $70k with Big body flagships like Jag XJ, 550, 6 Series.

I've considered one and I keep coming back to them. Might get a used one for $45k. Two questions:

P.S. the toys I'm considering to complement the daily driver is a Viper SRT Coupe, Aston Vantage, Nissan GTR, C63. All are about $60k, C63 around $45k.

Thoughts?

1. Obviously, since these cars are selling. They are more than just an upgraded motor and a few other pieces. The C63 is modified to a lesser extent, but remember, an estimated 80% of the parts in an M3 are specific to the M3 and not borrowed from the normal 3-series. Even on the C63, that big motor can't just be dropped in, everything that supports it needs to be changed as well.

2. No. If you are buying a car to impress other people, then so be it. That's not why I bought mine.

3. I don't know where you're shopping, but there's probably only a handful of GT-R's in the country for sale at anything near 60k. There are exactly 11 GT-R's under $70K on auto-trader in the whole country as I type this and I'm willing to be a lot of them, if not every one of them won't budge a penny on price if you were trying to buy. Keep in mind every single one of these are 2009's with at most a year warranty left on them.

Same with the Vantage, there are 4 of them in the country for less than $70k and they are all out of warranty. Yes there's always the chance that you'll get a great one, but if for some reason something were to break on them and you have some repair bills that will quickly add up. Don't forget about routine maintenance. Go look up brake rotors on a Vantage or a GT-R.

Originally Posted by HBspeed
Is a C63 really worth $70k?

That's a very open question that brings into account both what the market will bear and what value people place on it's specific qualities as vehicle. Clearly there is a market for it, otherwise they would be sitting on lots rotting and being given away with massive trunk money. Which is something I assume you are likely familiar with as we are both former Z4M Coupe owners .

There are many here, probably the majority, who at the $35-$40k price point would go for a base C-class or 3 series if shopping for a new car. I was just shopping for a daily driver at the same price point. I bought a new 2011 Challenger SRT8 with the new 6.4L (392 CI.) V8 engine. So clearly I chose to put my money towards performance as opposed to the "European Luxury factor." And no I'm not a hater, I also own an E46 M3 and appreciate the differences.

So at the $35-$40k price point I "feel" like my Challenger was a good value. I could have spent $70k to step up to a C63 or an E92 M3, but just like you have indicated there is a large $ premium to step "up" to those cars for arguable/negligible performance gains vs my near 500hp Challenger.

So for that $35-$40k you can have either "performance" or "luxury" but to have both you going to need to pay that additional $30k premium.

What I think this discussion really comes down to though is that for new cars, all sporty options consist of basically the same formula at this price range. At around 70k you can get a C63, M3, S5, TT-RS, Vette Grand Sport, Boxster or Cayman. These cars all place luxury as arguably their most important selling point for the large majority of their target demographic. Therefore all these cars are best described as Luxury Grand Tourers. This aprox $70k middle ground is sort of a no mans land for true "sports cars."

Every one of the cars you mentioned you are contemplating other than the C63 cost well over $70k new: Viper SRT Coupe, Aston Vantage, Nissan GTR. These cars are much more serious sports cars than anything at $70k. (Aston is debatable but I still contend as much)

It seems odd doesn't it that you have to spend more than $70k to get a car that will up the sportiness over a C63 regardless of whether its "level of luxury" is lower or higher.
I didn't know you actually visited MBW. haha.

Last edited by e1000; 08-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 AM

w211, w221, w220, e46
As a gearhead, you sure are misinformed.

I wouldn't know, but Mercedes probably doesn't make a dramaticly significant profit from selling a C63 than a C350. The premium you pay for is evident... the drive of a regular C-class is not in any way the same as the C63. You need to test drive them to understand what I mean. You would have to spend the same difference, if not more, on the C350 for instance to bring it to the same level if you were to mod.

As e1000 said, it's not just the motor, Mercedes-AMG has to re-engineering nearly everything in order to support the power and to properly work it in...

If you are buying a performance car based on how much "wow factor" it provides to others, then you are buying it for all the wrong reasons. Something with half the price will provide the same effect to the average person.

That said, if you can't justify the price difference new, then I think you are doing the right thing considering a used one or looking for alternatives.

And keep in mind when looking at the other cars you mentioned that there is more associated in keeping up them up than the purchase price, especially for one out-of-warranty... but you probably already know that.

Last edited by AMG X; 08-19-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 AM

2011 Boxster Spyder, 2005 M3, 2000 Z3 M Coupe
Originally Posted by e1000

1. Obviously, since these cars are selling. They are more than just an upgraded motor and a few other pieces. The C63 is modified to a lesser extent, but remember, an estimated 80% of the parts in an M3 are specific to the M3 and not borrowed from the normal 3-series. Even on the C63, that big motor can't just be dropped in, everything that supports it needs to be changed as well.

2. No. If you are buying a car to impress other people, then so be it. That's not why I bought mine.

3. I don't know where you're shopping, but there's probably only a handful of GT-R's in the country for sale at anything near 60k. There are exactly 11 GT-R's under $70K on auto-trader in the whole country as I type this and I'm willing to be a lot of them, if not every one of them won't budge a penny on price if you were trying to buy. Keep in mind every single one of these are 2009's with at most a year warranty left on them.

Same with the Vantage, there are 4 of them in the country for less than $70k and they are all out of warranty. Yes there's always the chance that you'll get a great one, but if for some reason something were to break on them and you have some repair bills that will quickly add up. Don't forget about routine maintenance. Go look up brake rotors on a Vantage or a GT-R.

I didn't know you actually visited MBW. haha.
Haha yeah, the upcoming C63 Black Series got me to join up.

It takes something outside the boring $70k zone apparently to get me to leave the enthusiast safety zone of the BMW/Porsche forums.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 AM

MERCEDES 2011 CL63 AMG / FERRARI F430 / FERRARI 348TS
$70K for a new C63, damm, you US guys are LUCKY !!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
sounds like to me you answered your own question. to you the C63 is probably not worth 70k but you might be willing to buy one for 45k. there you go! buy one gently used! i can tell you that i would not have given 70k for mine... or the 67k that was on the sticker. but to me it was worth every last penny of 52k. like others have said... its a totally different car than a C300 or C350. trust me i own both the C63 and a C300. while they are similar in shape they are no where near the same car.

also these guys are dead on in reference to the maintence issue. a GT-R is WAY more to keep up over a C63. thats a big reason i didnt go with a GT-R. i just dont have the ching to throw around to justify a GT-R. ill swallow the maintence on the C63. its all what you are willing to spend man. i know you know all this but you asked....... ha ha

seriously... go drive a C300 then drive a C63. you will see a huge difference! if my GF can see it i KNOW you will. if you dont then get yourself a nice C350 and enjoy it. the base Cs are nice as well. just not raw enough for me.

Last edited by eagle_lex; 08-19-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I'm spending 100k-120k € on the car, and yes, it's worth every cent of it.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
FWIW, although not your question... a LOT of folks have picked up their C63's, brand new, for $55k-ish (sometimes less).

Just have to know the right time to shop. Hint: rhymes with "drunk funny."
Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s

Thoughts?
1. Yes, after driving all the competitors and driving the C350 beforehand, it was easy to justify the premium at least in my mind. But I didn't pay 70. More around 60k, but this was back in late 2008. If we approached buying vehicles logically, I'd venture to say we'd all be driving something boring and practical. At least the C63 has 4 doors and can serve as a daily driver and even haul my kids around.

2. I really don't care what people think as that's not why I buy cars. If it puts a smile on my face and meets my needs then that's all that matters to me. Having said that, you do get different reactions to this car. It does not have the "wow" factor that an Aston or GT-R has.

If I were in the market for a C63 now, I would certainly buy pre-owned as there are plenty out there. At the time I looked in late 2008, there was one pre-owned on the market and plenty of new ones. So I bought a discounted new one. The used market is flooded with them right now in Texas, so you'd have a lot to look at. I only see one in Austin currently at Carmax. I also see one at Ecarlink up in Dallas for a good price. I've purchased from them before and they seem reputable. Would have to change that god-awful wood trim out with CF though.

But please go test drive if you have not.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
I think the C63 is the funnest sedan out there at any price, with only the M3 DCT being in the same ballpark (and I've even driven the Panamera Turbo). It's a bargain when you consider the performance you get for the price, plus a lot of practicality.

There's no comparison between the C63 and the regular C-series. Nearly everything that matters is different: steering wheel, steering system, seats, engine, exhaust, transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, etc. The similarity between the two cars is only skin deep.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM

2010 C63 AMG (Marrano Tune and K&N airfilters)
I find these posts so cruel, try $160 000 in Australia!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
quite frankly no.

cheap interior, lethargic transmission, tiny wheel/tire package, minimal suspension upgrades, etc.

I agree, car should cost $60k, max.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
quite frankly no.

cheap interior, lethargic transmission, tiny wheel/tire package, minimal suspension upgrades, etc.

I agree, car should cost $60k, max.
But this is apparently coming from someone who drives an S500, not a C63? The S500 is closer to the big Lexus than the C63.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM

C63, C55 (Sold)
I've owned several cars, mostly japanese (and one Kia) and I wanted something german and special in my life. Since my last car was a 2004 Subaru STi, I wanted performance too, and also the practicality of a sedan with a full trunk as a daily driver. Sure, my C55 is no C63, but when new it was $55-60k back in 2006. I purchased it last year, used, with only 29k miles on the odometer, by almost $25k less than when it was new. Do I regret it? Absolutely no! Every time I'm behind that steering wheel I feel in an environment that none of my other cars were capable of providing. Its the combination of performance, practicality, luxury and exclusivity that these cars have that makes them so special, and worthy. Yes, I'm a big fan of the GTR and other true sport cars (911 GT3 and the CLK63 BS are another picks for me). However, I can't afford right now having those rides for only the weekends and having another car for commuting. Believe me, I've been putting a lot of thoughts buying this one (1.5 years), and the conclusion was always the same.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
I wouldnt spend 70K on the C63 or the CTSV or the M3. None of them are worth that price to me. But thats my opinion. Others would find the 70K a bargan for such an amazing car.

To me its still a 4 door and that alone keeps it in a different class in my mind. Plus no matter what its still a C class. Just look at the first year of depreciation and that will tell you something.

I bought my C63 for 52K and the second one for 55K. That is exactly how much the car was worth to me. If you forced me to spend 70K on a 4 door I would get a CPO 2010 E63.

Last edited by propain; 08-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by propain
I wouldnt spend 70K on the C63 or the CTSV or the M3. None of them are worth that price to me. But thats my opinion. Others would find the 70K a bargan for such an amazing car.

To me its still a 4 door and that alone keeps it in a different class in my mind. Plus the damn thing wieghs 4K pounds.. lol

I bought my C63 for 52K and the second one for 55K. That is exactly how much the car was worth to me. If you forced me to spend 70K I would get a CPO 2010 E63.
I agree that the E63 is great too, but many people (including me) seem to think the C63 is more fun to drive (though the E63 is more spacious and upscale).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I agree that the E63 is great too, but many people (including me) seem to think the C63 is more fun to drive (though the E63 is more spacious and upscale).
I completely agree. I was only saying it if I was forced into a 70K 4 door.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
But this is apparently coming from someone who drives an S500, not a C63? The S500 is closer to the big Lexus than the C63.
Whats your point? I don't like compromise cars like the C63.

I prefer a big, comfortable, silent luxury car for a daily driver and a real sporty car for when I want to drive in anger.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
These type of threads are a total waste of time and effort. We all buy cars for different reasons. Set your priorities and must have's and see what fits best. It is quite obvious to most of us, the C63 was best for us, it checked all our "boxes". The M3 DCT is the only true competetor for me at his price point. I'll never buy GM or japanese. The SRT-8 Challanger or the Camaro are nice but hauling all that weight around, too big for me. The new 5.0 Mustang is the only other car I would consider at the moment, for around $1k in mods it gets into the 11's and a decent ride to boot.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
It all comes back to this: preference and perception.

No argument, no debate, no discussion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is C63 Really Worth $70k?