C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

dealer cant figure out whats the problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
Angry dealer cant figure out whats the problem

i was driving the car on the streets when my car went dead due to the engine belt Turing off and my car was out of fuel, so the dealer took the car in for a couple of days and changed some things but when i got my car back the oil temp gauge is not working and the car feels heavy at the acceleration, my car has a mhp tune, so i took my car back to the dealer to sit for a couple of days the i got a call from my adviser saying that my oil temp sensor and some other thing are not getting power Du to the ecu not giving out ground, so i was told that its not covered under warranty because its from the ecu and mine is tuned, i took my car out and sent the ecu to mhp for a reflash and a check up and every thing was fine, so i put the ecu back in the car and its still the same, check engine light is on and oil temp gauge is not working and and if i floor the car the dash lights up and esp goes off the after a minute and some times the car goes dead,

i have attached a pic of the codes that are showing at the dealer

i heard that its maybe a bad o2 sensor, is that true,

thank you,
Attached Thumbnails dealer cant figure out whats the problem-img-20110818-00223.jpg  

Last edited by hamdanalqubaisi; 08-21-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM

C63 AMG
I'm having a slight problem with my oil temp jumping up and down, but not fully giving out like yours. It's worth a shot replacing the o2 sensor.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:52 AM

c63
Sorry to hear that Hamdan
I think you have to change the ecu ( I am not sure about it ) It happened with me
but without any light comes same as check engine when I drove my can in road goes dead
and when I check it by StarDAS the fault it is ( There is an internal control unit fault in the processor )

Or try to re-flash the ecu by StarDAS and check if its going fine if not just try to change ecu and I am sure that you will be fine In US is very cheap the ECU here (UAE) the price is too expensive

I hop that helps you a lot
Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by hamdanalqubaisi
i was driving the car on the streets when my car went dead due to the engine belt Turing off and my car was out of fuel, so the dealer took the car in for a couple of days and changed some things but when i got my car back the oil temp gauge is not working and the car feels heavy at the acceleration, my car has a mhp tune, so i took my car back to the dealer to sit for a couple of days the i got a call from my adviser saying that my oil temp sensor and some other thing are not getting power Du to the ecu not giving out ground, so i was told that its not covered under warranty because its from the ecu and mine is tuned, i took my car out and sent the ecu to mhp for a reflash and a check up and every thing was fine, so i put the ecu back in the car and its still the same, check engine light is on and oil temp gauge is not working and and if i floor the car the dash lights up and esp goes off the after a minute and some times the car goes dead,

i have attached a pic of the codes that are showing at the dealer

i heard that its maybe a bad o2 sensor, is that true,

thank you,
I just got my ECU tuned by MHP and had the exact same issues you describe right after I installed it. Specifically, after a couple miles of driving, my dash would light up with the "ESC Inoperative" error message, and then the car wouldn't start. I've been in contact with Andy and he suspects it is related to the fact that I had a very current version of the MB stock file, with more protection and encryptions. I shipped my ECU back to him yesterday so he could work on a solution. Sounds like whatever remedy he comes up with for my situation, he can also apply to yours. Don't worry, you're in good hands with Andy and I have full confidence he will get this resolved.

As more of us are flashed by the dealer or get tuned starting from more recent versions of the stock map, I expect this to become a more frequently reported issue.

Last edited by xtyper; 08-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xtyper
As more of us are flashed by the dealer or get tuned starting from more recent versions of the stock map, I expect this to become a more frequently reported issue.
Crap....I hope not! But this is the second time I heard it.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
This is why I'm kinda hesitant about sending my ECU out. I've run with two tunes so far, both times I waited until they came out to NY/NJ area. Rather if any problems come up right away, whoever is there is able to help instead of having to go back and forth again.

Hope everything works out !
Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Why the hell is there a performance sticker on the ECU ? Hopefully they didn't void the warranty or report it to MBUSA
Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 PM

c63
Thumbs up

I just got my ECU tuned by MHP and had the exact same issues you describe right after I installed it. Specifically, after a couple miles of driving, my dash would light up with the "ESC Inoperative" error message, and then the car wouldn't start. I've been in contact with Andy and he suspects it is related to the fact that I had a very current version of the MB stock file, with more protection and encryptions. I shipped my ECU back to him yesterday so he could work on a solution. Sounds like whatever remedy he comes up with for my situation, he can also apply to yours. Don't worry, you're in good hands with Andy and I have full confidence he will get this resolved.

When I had new ECU coming from Germany I sent it directly to andy when he saw the ecu It is really different version that he ever seen on 63 ecu
New one And he delt with it no problems at all

Last edited by no loser; 08-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 AM

c63
The car is getting towed to the dealer ship right now
Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
So im assuming this is a MHP related problem??
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM

c63
c63

no not at all i think, because i drove my car at least for a week before i ran out of gas thent ripped my engine belt then oil temp sensor woudnt work and the car as is since that day, btw i got it reflashed again by mhp but nothing changed
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by _AMG_
So im assuming this is a MHP related problem??
No, I know of another person experiencing the same thing with a different, well respected tune. It looks like MB is making it more difficult for tuners to flash ECUs by updating their latest stock files with more protection and encryption.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I have the MHP tune (93/100 octane maps). No issues so far with oil temps and I track the car pretty hard. What oil are you running? I'm running red line oil.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
I've had an MHP tune since May and no problems. Others have had their tune for years. It sounds like MB is trying to make it harder on tuners to crack the ECU.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

c63
FOUND THE PROLEM

OK so the car is at another dealer and the problem was the ecu, but i was lucky enough to get a new one under warranty,

i contacted mhp as the tune was theirs , Andy was the best person that i ever made business with in the performance market,

i got a replay from mhp yesterday saying:

(Ok here is what I think is happening):

What MB is now doing is adding software overwrite protection during ECU updates. This means we cannot flash over the stock file
(we have only seen this in the last 2 weeks).

What MB wants you to do is sign a piece of paper stating you give up your powertrain warranty in exchange for them unlocking your ECU so you can play. So what we're doing is offering a matching powertrain warranty to pick up where MB's left off. We have no issues standing behind our work. Their goal is to force more people to pay $6k for the P31 package or $9k with M157 for a better tune.

This is going to become more and more prevalent in the coming years. You will begin to see other manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, MB etc bring tuning in-house. They realize how much $ they lose out on via aftermarket tuning, and they see holding factory warranty over customers heads as leverage to get them to shell out $9k for a tune (M157s) or $6k for the P31 package for a C63.

Anyway we are the first tuner to find out about this protection and what MB is doing.

What we are doing to combat this BS is offering a matching powertrain warranty that picks up where MB's left off. We stand behind our products so this is not an issue for us.

So we have 2 choices.

I can refund you and you can remain stock for the duration of the warranty period or you can have the dealer that installs the ECU "unlock" it via STAR DAS and you will be covered by MHPs powertrain warranty instead. Send me that unlocked ecu and we have zero issues.

( this is one of the best customer service i have ever experienced )

thank you
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
So what we're doing is offering a matching powertrain warranty to pick up where MB's left off. We have no issues standing behind our work.

Now that's awesome!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Bumping this thread.. Anyone else run into this issue? Any way around it yet (or in the works)?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by onegavinfree
I'm having a slight problem with my oil temp jumping up and down
my car seemed to have recently developed this as well!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM

c63
The dealer ordered the new ecu and installed it last Friday , the dealer started the car and it was still the same, at the end the technician today figured out what's wrong, it appears that when my belt ripped it damaged one of the control unit wires which is causing all the sensors and ecu to have shortage , that said the bad news is that this was not figured out till today and after the new ecu was installed which ended up messing the new ecu because of the power shortage from the damaged wire, so now the wires have been fixed and were waiting for another ecu,

Thank you
Hamdan,

Last edited by hamdanalqubaisi; 08-30-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
i hope you don't pay for all those trials and errors when the problem is probably very clear in sight
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I find this extremely hard to believe. Can Andy produce said document from Mercedes-Benz and post it here (or have someone post it, or even send it to me so I can post it)? I remain skeptical until such a document is obtained. Mercedes-Benz will never unlock an ECU due to emissions laws (not even for the president of MBUSA)- this is precisely why ECU's are married to VIN numbers. Furthermore, why would Mercedes-Benz invest in new technology for an engine/control system which is quickly becoming obsolete? To take that one step further, if this is true, one would logically think this new technology is present in all of the new MED17 ECU's found in the bi-turbo V8's- I know for a fact this is not the case, as KLEEMANN has done several 5.5 M157 bi-turbo files with zero problems. Not to mention every other engine which uses ME9.7- M272, M273, etc.. I've talked to several trusted master-guild MB technician friends of mine who have all told me this is news to them.

This scenario is certainly a possibility, but highly unlikely and I remain a skeptic until I see it with my own eyes. If I do run into a situation like this, I'll post it up!

OK so the car is at another dealer and the problem was the ecu, but i was lucky enough to get a new one under warranty,

i contacted mhp as the tune was theirs , Andy was the best person that i ever made business with in the performance market,

i got a replay from mhp yesterday saying:

(Ok here is what I think is happening):

What MB is now doing is adding software overwrite protection during ECU updates. This means we cannot flash over the stock file
(we have only seen this in the last 2 weeks).

What MB wants you to do is sign a piece of paper stating you give up your powertrain warranty in exchange for them unlocking your ECU so you can play. So what we're doing is offering a matching powertrain warranty to pick up where MB's left off. We have no issues standing behind our work. Their goal is to force more people to pay $6k for the P31 package or $9k with M157 for a better tune.

This is going to become more and more prevalent in the coming years. You will begin to see other manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, MB etc bring tuning in-house. They realize how much $ they lose out on via aftermarket tuning, and they see holding factory warranty over customers heads as leverage to get them to shell out $9k for a tune (M157s) or $6k for the P31 package for a C63.

Anyway we are the first tuner to find out about this protection and what MB is doing.

What we are doing to combat this BS is offering a matching powertrain warranty that picks up where MB's left off. We stand behind our products so this is not an issue for us.

So we have 2 choices.

I can refund you and you can remain stock for the duration of the warranty period or you can have the dealer that installs the ECU "unlock" it via STAR DAS and you will be covered by MHPs powertrain warranty instead. Send me that unlocked ecu and we have zero issues.

( this is one of the best customer service i have ever experienced )

thank you
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
I don't know how old your car is...but what would cause your belt to shred/tear?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Coery, thanks for posting.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cory @ Kleemann
I find this extremely hard to believe. Can Andy produce said document from Mercedes-Benz and post it here (or have someone post it, or even send it to me so I can post it)? I remain skeptical until such a document is obtained. Mercedes-Benz will never unlock an ECU due to emissions laws (not even for the president of MBUSA)- this is precisely why ECU's are married to VIN numbers. Furthermore, why would Mercedes-Benz invest in new technology for an engine/control system which is quickly becoming obsolete? To take that one step further, if this is true, one would logically think this new technology is present in all of the new MED17 ECU's found in the bi-turbo V8's- I know for a fact this is not the case, as KLEEMANN has done several 5.5 M157 bi-turbo files with zero problems. Not to mention every other engine which uses ME9.7- M272, M273, etc.. I've talked to several trusted master-guild MB technician friends of mine who have all told me this is news to them.

This scenario is certainly a possibility, but highly unlikely and I remain a skeptic until I see it with my own eyes. If I do run into a situation like this, I'll post it up!
Your points make a lot of sense Cory, so I brought them up to Andy over the weekend to verify the issue. He said that this issue only affects those with multiple ECUs (myself included) and updated firmware. Since only a small portion of us are running around with multiple ECUs, the majority should not be affected by this or experience any tuning problems. I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, just passing along the explanation Andy gave me.

Last edited by xtyper; 09-06-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thanks xtyper, I appreciate you passing along the info! KLEEMANN has a few clients with extra ECU's but most of them were done 1-2 years ago. If I run into this same situation, I'll confirm with everyone here.

Your points make a lot of sense Corey, so I brought them up to Andy over the weekend to verify the issue. He said that this issue only affects those with multiple ECUs (myself included) and updated firmware. Since only a small portion of us are running around with multiple ECUs, the majority should not be affected by this or experience any tuning problems. I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, just passing along the explanation Andy gave me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dealer cant figure out whats the problem