C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

need help in regards to aftermarket parts and factory warranaty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
need help in regards to aftermarket parts and factory warranaty

i live in toronto canada, and i have been in the market looking for a c63 for some time now....i found a 2010 with 39000 km but it has an upgrated renntech ECU...will this ecu void my factory warranty???

thank you
Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Yes if you have a drivetrain failure or electronic failure related to the ECU.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
You may wish to check with Renntech. Some of the aftermarket modding companies offer a separate warranty to the dealers to cover any modifications they make. I do not know if this one does. However, as the above poster noted, any failures or problems that relate to a modified part will not be covered by the manufacturer warranty, and since the ECU is tied into everything, well your likely to end up with an expensive repair bill..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
Mine has the Renntech on it and I was a little worried about having mine tuned because I have heard of warranty problems. I went to the local dealer and talk to the service manager. AS luck would have it they were working on a new C63 with an ECU problem that they had tuned with Renntech. I waited 6 months to see if the warranty would be voided. Mercedes and Renntech worked together to solve the problem. As it turned out it was a faulty ECU. Mercedes replaced the ECU and Renntech reprogrammed it. The service manager called and told me the results and that there would not be any warranty problems. I called Renntech and they explained what the service manager said. Renntech does warranty their work. I let the local dealer install the Renntech package on mine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems.
I have read on here where some members have had problems with certain Dealer ships. I would call each of your local dealers and get clarification from each dealer in your area to insure that they will work with Renntech if a matter was to arise. Locally we have one dealer ship that will not warranty any modded car.
You can also call Renntech... ask for Corry
Do a search on warranty. Here is one post…
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...nty-issue.html
Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG 030
FYI… do not tell your insurance company the car has been modded. For some reason they do not like cars that have been modded.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just be aware, that at the end of the day, it is MB corporate that will be voiding your warranty. While a dealer may be willing to work with Renntech, if you blow your engine, I'm almost 100% positive that MB corp will deny the claim, no matter what the dealership says. So the dealership would end up eating the cost if they choose to warranty it, or more likely, you will end up getting billed..
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Just be aware, that at the end of the day, it is MB corporate that will be voiding your warranty. While a dealer may be willing to work with Renntech, if you blow your engine, I'm almost 100% positive that MB corp will deny the claim, no matter what the dealership says. So the dealership would end up eating the cost if they choose to warranty it, or more likely, you will end up getting billed..

Totally agree. Ecu replacement is a little cost that the dealer can blow by MBZ corp (lucky for Fn3423 and glad he found a dealer resonable to work with). But if you blow up something big (engine, tranny, rear end) a MBZ corporate service manager is going to be all over it. Not that they are looking for mods (but they will find them) and not warranty the repair but they're trying to QC and do failure analysis as they don't expect these major components to fail at lower milage.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Totally agree. Ecu replacement is a little cost that the dealer can blow by MBZ corp (lucky for Fn3423 and glad he found a dealer resonable to work with). But if you blow up something big (engine, tranny, rear end) a MBZ corporate service manager is going to be all over it. Not that they are looking for mods (but they will find them) and not warranty the repair but they're trying to QC and do failure analysis as they don't expect these major components to fail at lower milage.
ECUs are not a small cost and the dealer is required so show all SDS printout and fault codes to MBUSA which are checked on each one. If they as much as forget the print outs the claim will be denied. Just look at the last person on this page with a ECU related incident. The dealer declined the repair under warranty.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG 030
Yes that is correct. The service MG. made it very clear that MB Corp. would have the final say.
As for the ECU, Mb Corp. was denying the warranty clam but Renntech proved it was not there program that caused the ECU Problem.
Motors: Has anyone blown a motor, trany or rear end? I don’t recall anyone blowing a motor because of a tune. If so, someone please chime in. From all of the post that I have read it appears that Dads, dodger, Juice drove have driven there cars really hard as weekend warrior at the track... I would say if these motors have not blown, it would be safe to say these motors a very reliable and MB did a great job designing this motor.
You don’t buy these cars because they are cheap but because they are good.
The old saying is… if want to play you have to pay…
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your right, no blown motors yet.. however I believe Dads has destroyed at least 2 transmissions... (if my memory serves me).

The point I was making, and I was using an extreme example, is that if you change something, anything, and it was proven to have caused the problem, then they can, and in many cases will deny a warranty claim, even if your friends with the dealer.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
all a tune does is put the car to stock level hp of other mercedes 6.2's. But yes a dealer can do anything they want.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:20 PM

2010 C63
Thanks guys for all the great input and advice, I have decided not to go through with the deal as I do not want to mess around with the warranty, so with that said I guess my search for my c63 continues
Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM

c63 amg
just ask the dealer you plan on using how they feel about it before you buy it. my dealership is also a renntech dealer and when i inquired they said not only would they warranty it, but theyd be more than happy to sell the intake, the exhaust, or whatever else i wanted from them as well. they said the renntech stuff wouldnt be covered by them directly but the car itself would still have 100% factory warrranty after the install... and this was straight from the service manager in the presence of others.

its gonna be hard for me not to use renntech when i mod. its more expensive but with that kind of backup it will be hard to pass up.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by palerider
just ask the dealer you plan on using how they feel about it before you buy it. my dealership is also a renntech dealer and when i inquired they said not only would they warranty it, but theyd be more than happy to sell the intake, the exhaust, or whatever else i wanted from them as well. they said the renntech stuff wouldnt be covered by them directly but the car itself would still have 100% factory warrranty after the install... and this was straight from the service manager in the presence of others.

its gonna be hard for me not to use renntech when i mod. its more expensive but with that kind of backup it will be hard to pass up.
Up here in Canada it's all very different at least in Toronto I know from what I have been asking around that no benz dealer sell or support any aftermarket software