C63 upgrade path questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
C63 upgrade path questions

Hi All,

Just got my 2011 C63 AMG recently (w/o performance package) and I'm loving this car and this forum.

Based on what I have found here, I have already taken a few steps to "better" my car but I'd like to get some input from you to help me along the path a little.

I'm a "spirited" road driver. (no track for now)

Before we start, I have aready removed the 2 charcoal filters and I have just ordered a Quaife LSD from ACGsandiego.

I plan to get an ECU tune in the near future but I won't start a debate about tunes here as this subject is already well covered elsewhere in this forum.

I think I'll be oin a good place after this but I'm curious...
After the Diff and ECU TUNE, I will have spent most of my mod budget for the moment.

I do however wonder if there are other "reasonable cost" mods that are worth while ?

-Air filters maybe ? Any performance benefit ? Just get K&N ?
-Lightened pulleys ? recommendations ? benefits ?
-your "other" suggestions here...

Thanks

P.S. I'm only interested in engine performance at this time. I will deal with handling & aesthetics next summer
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I would say if you are not going to the track, just enjoy the car with the lsd and re-map. You could add filters.

You might want to try AFE dry filters. I'm going to try them next. I used BMC's in the past and they worked well although sometimes the exhaust sound was a little funky when pressing part-throttle too quickly. Overall, though I like them a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't install different pulleys. I don't know a lot about them but it just seems like it could have a negative effect on the voltage... Not really sure, just speculating. But, I doubt you can feel the power difference with a different pulley. Perhaps others that have done this mod will disagree.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Personally, I wouldn't install different pulleys. I don't know a lot about them but it just seems like it could have a negative effect on the voltage... Not really sure, just speculating. But, I doubt you can feel the power difference with a different pulley. Perhaps others that have done this mod will disagree.
I'm not thinking of different pulleys size. I meant Lightened pulley as I have heard (evosport site) that they may reduce the drive train power loss and therefore could improve the Wheel HP to Crank HP ratio... but I'm still not convinced about the pulley thing...

Last edited by Wack; 08-29-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Wack
I'm not thinking of different pulleys size. I meant Lightened pulley as I have heard (evosport site) that they may reduce the drive train power loss and therefore could improve the Wheel HP to Crank HP ratio... but I'm still not convinced about the pulley thing...
Oh, my bad. I hear you.

Are you talking about something like an ATI performance damper? I had one of those on a previous car. They are good to have when you are going high hp and you want to avoid potentially dangerous crankshaft vibrations.

And the lighter weight could be a good thing. But, I doubt you would ever feel or know the difference. I can, however, see how a lighter weight flywheel would decrease drivetrain loss to the rear wheels. But, not sure if anyone sells them for our cars.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
There are really no other less expensive mods to do that are worth it
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Wack
You may want to read this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-2010-c63.html

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
save money for tires,gas, rentals...there is nothing really less than 1-2k worth your money (including the pulley). Next step would be headers or lightweight modifications for the best bang.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM

C43 AMG CAB & VIPER
I kind of figured as much.

I'll get my LSD installed, get a TUNE and maybe AFE dry filters and call it a day for now.

The pulley is interesting but I'm not looking to scratch every last HP at whatever cost so the cost to benefit on this one is a little off for me.

Thank you all for your comments. REALLY appreciated !
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
I've heard of more than a few owners that have had problems with aftermarket filters. Doesn't seem worth it considering they give you little to no gain.