C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Weird downshift into first, manual mode??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Weird downshift into first, manual mode??

My car just recently started down shifting into first gear weird.

It feels as if the car goes into neutral for a half second or so then hits first gear where you can then feel the engine compression slowing the car.

Whenever I downshift in any other gear (other then first) the car has constant engine compression on it.

Anyone else experience anything like this?? I just recently noticed this and have never experienced down shifts that felt like this before.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
It's hard to know what you mean by "engine compression slowing the car?" Does this seem to happen after you push the car hard with numerous wot bursts then revert to normal, conservative driving? Sometimes these transmissions will downshift in an unpredictable manner while they are adapting back to normal driving. I dunno... just throwing that out there.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I generally stay away from DOWNSHIFTING into 1. I heard it not recommended by many car gurus and a few times that I have done it, it seems weird and unusual. But to answer your question, never a feeling that it goes into N for a moment before engaging 1. 1 to 2 upshift under hard acceleration is also a bit different than other upshifts in this car as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I generally stay away from DOWNSHIFTING into 1. I heard it not recommended by many car gurus and a few times that I have done it, it seems weird and unusual. But to answer your question, never a feeling that it goes into N for a moment before engaging 1. 1 to 2 upshift under hard acceleration is also a bit different than other upshifts in this car as well.
I downshift into 1 all the time. Like every time I come to a stop and I usually do it so that I hit ~4000 rpm in first so that I get the downshift bark and get to listen to the engine braking as I come to a stop. Everyone around me gets to listen to it too. Great way to enjoy your car in traffic or when you can't dive it quickly.

I think this is a big part of the C63 experience and makes up for the lack of a third pedal... Don't shortchange yourself!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
OP- you talking about "engine breaking"-Engine compression slowing...

On my E63 after engine breaking and comming upto a light it will sometime hang, and then feels/sounds like the rear diff slams into place. But its not the diff because i dont have a LSD. this is in M Mode in let say 2nd gear and the computer drops to 1st without any input from me. This just started happing after the trans was flashed and IMHO is better than the stupid delay it had before when it would hunt for gears and then take off.