C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cars.com C63 & E63 Scams - Beware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Segway
Exclamation Cars.com C63 & E63 Scams - Beware

Browsing cars.com I found some deals that looked to good to be true and there are. I'm going to post the C63 details first because I'm still getting info on the E63 scam.

Scam Listing: Here

Scam Details:

Hello, Just checking to see if this vehicle is still available and I have a couple questions.

1. Any problems with the vehicle at all?

2. I live in ******* so I would like to check out the vehicle in person would you be available?

Thanks
Hi ******,
Thank you for showing interest in my 2009 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG! The general condition of the car is excellent, very well maintained, no damages, no mechanical problems and no electrical issues. It has a clear title free of any liens or loans and a clean carfax, free of accidents. The mileage is 5,325 and the price is $36,900.

Because of my divorce settlement, i own this car and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I just got a new job and moved so get back with me to organize this sale.

Thank You!
Hello Adrienne,

Thanks for getting back to me. From what I remember you are located in Florida correct? I am in****** so I would need to fly down there and check out the car.

Please let me know what your bottom line is to sell the vehicle. I need to see if it's worth my time to travel down there and view it.

Thanks,
Hello *****,

First please let me explain you the process of this transaction, As I told you in my first email, i divorced, i got a new job and moved to Omaha, Nebraska. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with PayPal so my presence isn't necessary. The car is located in Omaha at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The car will arrive at your address in 3-5 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the car prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost.

So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
full name and address
phone #

After I will have all this details I will forward them to PayPal and I will proceed this transaction. PayPal will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that i am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.

Regards!!
To be honest seems very shady. I have my own Paypal rep because I am a high volume vendor. How about you provide me with the Paypal contact you are dealing with so I can go through my Paypal rep.

I would also still need to see the vehicle and will go to Omaha, Nebraska. If you provide me with the shippers contact information I will call them and arrange the viewing myself.

Then if everything looks legitimate I have no problem paying with Paypal.
I'd love to do it any other way,the problem is it's already at the shipping company right now,because before you I had another buyer interested,and he told me he want it shipped to his place,but then bailed out.that's why I am stuck with it at the shipping and this is the only way I can do it( I am offering to pay for the shipping back and forth,in case you won't like it you can send it back and be refunded).I know it's hard buying something unseen but please keep in mind that your money will be held in a trust fund account until you get it, inspect it and decide to keep it, and released to me only with your approval.
That's fine send me the contact info for the shipping company and the Paypal contact you are working with so I can verify it.
Selling stops replying at this point.

I assume what this scammer will do is use your phone number and address to have someone call you pretending to work for Paypal. They will make you feel like it's a legit deal and ask you to send the money to a Paypal email address. Once you do that the money will instantly be withdrawn and the account closed. I'm sure the Paypal account was opened with all fake information so the scammer gets away undetected.

How You Know It's A Scam:

1. The price was very cheap.

2. The sellers ridiculous story and terms for the transaction. I have worked with Paypal for a long time and they don't do anything like this.

3. The sellers name Adrienne is different from the name used on the cars.com listing which is Cathy (you see that when you email the seller using the cars.com form).

Last edited by slfmde; 09-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Had almost the exact same experience a while back regarding an E63. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Segway
E63 Scam Link: Here

E63 Scam Details:

Pretty much the same as above except this guy using Google Checkout and has a different story.

Hi,
I know the car have been advertised in few areas for bigger publicity, but the car is in Los Angeles , CA.
The reason of sale is that we are trying to save our vintage furniture restoring and manufacturing business from foreclosure by liquidating some assets and we need the money fast,we also have a boat for sale and some wood crafting machinery.
Here's where I'm standing,

I had 2 buyers : one didn't show up and the other called saying he was not approved for a loan, so my wife convinced me to try sell it on-line. The thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers. I am a Google Checkout verified member and will make the deal only through their system, and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask Google Checkout to send you the details on how this works.

In order to get this started I would need your FULL HOME ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER AND FULL NAME.

It's $125/300 miles(690 miles to Salt Lake City) for shipping and handling if you want it shipped. If it's too much I can support 50% of the shipping amount.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the process feel free to email me any time.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Classic scam. I've seen it on craigslist and boat-trader as well. They normally take pictures from legit listings that have expired.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Thanks for the heads up, but if you fall for a scam like that, you're not too bright.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Segway
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Thanks for the heads up, but if you fall for a scam like that, you're not too bright.
I agree but people do fall for it that's why they are running the scam still. Just posting to create some awareness for those who may think about risking it.

I knew it was a scam but I continued the conversion to get as much info as possible.

Last edited by slfmde; 09-20-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I would know its a scam just by looking at the price. lol
Thanks for posing.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
If it's too good to be true, it is. Also, no such thing as a free lunch.

Always good to keep these principles in mind.

F*cken shady bast*rds everywhere.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
If it's too good to be true, it is. Also, no such thing as a free lunch.

Always good to keep these principles in mind.

F*cken shady bast*rds everywhere.
+1
Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
I just want to meet some of these scammers and see what they look like. and maybe kick their *** while i'm at it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
I just want to meet some of these scammers and see what they look like. and maybe kick their *** while i'm at it.
Probably Nigerians (And no, it's not racist, it's statistics). At least here on our equivalent to ebay there are a lot of scammers from that region...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
that is what happened to me once, ironcially the scammer was using the exact same pictures of the car i eventually ended up buying!! haha i was skeptical of how he waned to go about it esp when he wouldnt give me his address of where he lived for someone to come check the car out, then i called ebay and they confirmed it was a scam. it was listed at the same price like $36000
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
This is a carbon copy of an exchange that I had with a "seller" regarding a GTR last year...probably the same scammer!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by BK63amg
This is a carbon copy of an exchange that I had with a "seller" regarding a GTR last year...probably the same scammer!
Same over here in Europe, almost a carbon copy.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Scammers love Cars.com and Autotrader. When I sold an Infiniti FX35 a few months ago I got calls from a few scammers looking to 'help' me sell it and a very fishy buyer.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
thanks for posting your story man. I also had a similair stoy. Those freaks need to be stopped. There are allso similar scams on ebay all the time.

The conclusion is:

Never buy a car without seeing it for yourself, and never buy anything for that matter from someone who is making up stories.

Advice:- On Ebay dont buy anything from anybody except from powersellers
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
I f******* hate those scammers. I always get a call or an email from some scammer when I try to sell something. Last time I was selling a house and a guy freakin calls me pretending to be some assistant or whatever from a guy that is "very rich".LOL I mean by the time he told me that, and that he will buy it without coming to see it in person while paying even more just to make sure I don't sell it to anyone else, I told him to F off
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Too many scams out there. Price to low, car is here and i am somewhere else, or i will send you a cashiers check for more than what you want, you just keep the extra $$
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
This smells like a scam try doesn't it? I live in Finland and foreign buyers aren't common. Just told him he can come take a look at it.. And i'm the seller btw..

Hello.. Do you still have the item for sale?if so get back to me with your answe to this following question: 1.How much is the last asking price? 2.Are you the bonafied owner? 3.tell me a little bit about the condition i will be glad to see your message immediately
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks for posting this info together man, im sure it'll help many of us not fall into these scams, these scammers need to get a life.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by slfmde
Selling stops replying at this point.

I assume what this scammer will do is use your phone number and address to have someone call you pretending to work for Paypal. They will make you feel like it's a legit deal and ask you to send the money to a Paypal email address. Once you do that the money will instantly be withdrawn and the account closed. I'm sure the Paypal account was opened with all fake information so the scammer gets away undetected.
I'm just curious here.... how do they use fake information to open a PayPal account? PayPal has to verify name, address, social security number, etc.... or demand that you go through a bank who has already verified that information
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm just curious here.... how do they use fake information to open a PayPal account? PayPal has to verify name, address, social security number, etc.... or demand that you go through a bank who has already verified that information
Either by false documents or identity theft. If you don't shred utility bills and banks statements as well as take other precautions people can get personal information and pose as you to open accounts. A few pieces of paper and a fake id good enough to fool a low paid employee at PayPal is all you would need.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Segway
Originally Posted by CaliSun
Either by false documents or identity theft. If you don't shred utility bills and banks statements as well as take other precautions people can get personal information and pose as you to open accounts. A few pieces of paper and a fake id good enough to fool a low paid employee at PayPal is all you would need.
CaliSun is correct. You can even buy Paypal accounts online if you know where to look, it's sad.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
I saw a month ago on Craiglist a "C63", which was basically a re-labelled C300/350. It was easy to identify it as a scam since it had the 2 pipe exhaust and also the stock C300/350 front bumper. The details were putting emphasis on the fact that the car was, in fact, an AMG model.

That was very laughable, but serious at the same time. I mean, maybe a unlucky guy, that was never aware of such details between AMG and regular models, got excited and bought this car, cause 1 week later it was deleted from Craiglist.