C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

FNG in a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
FNG in a C63

Through a quirk of life I bought a family members 2009 C63 AMG coming off lease (25k miles). Previously all my info about the car comes from Jeremy Clarkson and a CNET review. I went from a Volvo SUV to this beast; godsmacked is the only term that fits. This is a DD for me and I live in the mid-Atlantic.
I did some searching and still have a few questions.

1) I destroyed my Mitsu GSX 1999 interior using Armor-all (so I think…it may have just been poor OEM quality). I don't want to do the same on the MB...is there a short list of recommended products for the interior/exterior.

2) I would like to do my own oil changes, brakes etc, am I going to be in over my head? I heard just charging a dead battery requires NASA-esq equipment. I don't want to screw anything up given I still have a year of warranty. Is there a preferred manual I should purchase? Do I need to use factory filters and fluids or is that fear mongering from the dealers?

3) How many miles can I expect out of the car without major maintenance? It’s a weak question but just a ball park would be welcomed. I have fantasies about keeping the car for a very long time.

4) The previous owner decided that replacing the tires every 10k was a pain and went to a "higher mileage tire". He admitted it was a mistake and road noise is terrible. When these wear out should I switch back to the factory tires or is there something better for a DD?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Sports. A lot of members are using it, so maybe they'll give you some input on that. As for the rest, don't know. AMG's are built to last so i doubt you should have any greater issues as long as you service it when prompted.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Answers in blue below

Originally Posted by mdmbc63

1) I destroyed my Mitsu GSX 1999 interior using Armor-all (so I think…it may have just been poor OEM quality). I don't want to do the same on the MB...is there a short list of recommended products for the interior/exterior.

Any good quality products from a reputable detail shop (or place that sells detailer goods) will be fine.

2) I would like to do my own oil changes, brakes etc, am I going to be in over my head? I heard just charging a dead battery requires NASA-esq equipment. I don't want to screw anything up given I still have a year of warranty. Is there a preferred manual I should purchase? Do I need to use factory filters and fluids or is that fear mongering from the dealers?

Yes, oil changes are easy, the same as any other car if you want to drain from the plug, or you can purchase (about $50 to $100 depending from a marine supply store) a vacuum pump to remove the oil through the dipstick. The oil filter is actually up top in the engine bay.

Brake fluid changes are just as easy (I picked up a pressure bleeder from Amazon for $50), start with the caliper furthers from the master brake cylinder and work your way to the closest one wheel at a time. Most of your time is removing and putting the wheels back on.

You will need to purchase the filters (oil, cabin and air) from the dealer for the most part as regular shops do not stock them, although they can order them for you. Do what I did, create a relationship with your dealers parts dep, and they will usually give you a decent price. I actually get my oil from the dealer, around $4.50 per quart of Mobile 1 0W40.

3) How many miles can I expect out of the car without major maintenance? It’s a weak question but just a ball park would be welcomed. I have fantasies about keeping the car for a very long time.

Mine is my DD as well, I am about to hit 50k miles (about 1500 left). I do have a CPO additional warranty. The Engine is rock solid, and for the most part, if the transmission was treated right, it should last, but the car will develop rattles and noises inside the cabin.... it is annoying, but not much can be done about it.

4) The previous owner decided that replacing the tires every 10k was a pain and went to a "higher mileage tire". He admitted it was a mistake and road noise is terrible. When these wear out should I switch back to the factory tires or is there something better for a DD?

I switched out to longer lasting all seasons, slightly noisier, but replacing tires every 10k miles was getting expensive.. and pissed my wife off I have however not tracked my car on the all seasons I picked, there is a noticable difference in performance, but not enough to mess with your driving on regular roads, even spirited driving.
Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Dam you jvanbrecht...you beat me to it. I'm in total agreement with jvanbrecht, having owned AMGs since 2007. And I too, do all my own servicing on both of my cars. I would recommend going to and all-season tire, that will give you better tire life depending what part of the world you live in. I'm in Northern VA, so we see snow here, and I want to be able to drive either car in the snow. I have a great relationship with my parts guy at the dealership, so when I need factory parts, I get them at employee cost. Develope those relationships

Last edited by Yuille36; 09-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
One thing I forgot to mention, keep records of what you do, on paper (my mistake when my laptop crapped out and I had to rebuild it.. lost my maintenance records... *sigh* )

Fortunately, since I bought all the supplies from my dealer, they at least have records of selling me the supplies, as well as being able to pull the mileage when I reset the service indicator. (I actually do the oil every 5k miles, not 10k as the service manual calls for, but I drive like I stole it )
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Good point, definitely will come in handy when it comes time for warranty issues. If you can prove that general maintenance was being performed, then no problem. But if you can't then your SOL You still have two more years left on your warranty
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM

2009 C63
Thanks so much for the reply's. This clears up a lot of the things I need confirmation on. To be honest, the AMG is so different from anything I have owned before it might as well be an alien spacecraft. I will be referring to this thread frequently!

Last edited by mdmbc63; 09-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.