Ticking... solution!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Ticking... solution!

Hi guys,

I know not all ticking sounds are the same on this car, but here are the symptoms that mine had:

Loud ticking on start up, did not go away when warm. (could not hear below 1000rpm or above 1500 rpm)
Could faintly hear it when on load at lower rpm
If windows were open, and cruising beside a curb/parked cars/etc. It was loud when under load.

For me, this was an issue with my header gaskets. My driver side header had rattled a little loose at the back end, and the header gasket (which is metal) was vibrating between the head and header. Reinstall of the header and a new gasket solved the problem.

A quick note, the bolts on the head can come a little loose, which means the nut, even at it's tighest, will not hold the header tight to the head. Make sure the mechanic has the necessary tools to tighten the head bolts.

Hope this helps a couple of you.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Did Mercedes figure this out and perform this service or did you do this private? Is there a TSB on this issue?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Did Mercedes figure this out and perform this service or did you do this private? Is there a TSB on this issue?
I did it privately. I don't like paying $125/hour to have retards work on my car. Basically, if the computer can't tell the mechanic exactly what is wrong, a mercedes mechanic is worthless. Doesn't matter if it's as simple as spark plugs or a loose header or a blown gasket.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (10-19-2017)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Do you have aftermarket headers? you re-used stock header gasket? how many miles on it?

Also how did you discover the issue with a leak test (seafoam)? Kind of hard to see in there, thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
ATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 BS 2012 SLK 350 2014 CLA 45
Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
Hi guys,

I know not all ticking sounds are the same on this car, but here are the symptoms that mine had:

Loud ticking on start up, did not go away when warm. (could not hear below 1000rpm or above 1500 rpm)
Could faintly hear it when on load at lower rpm
If windows were open, and cruising beside a curb/parked cars/etc. It was loud when under load.

For me, this was an issue with my header gaskets. My driver side header had rattled a little loose at the back end, and the header gasket (which is metal) was vibrating between the head and header. Reinstall of the header and a new gasket solved the problem.

A quick note, the bolts on the head can come a little loose, which means the nut, even at it's tighest, will not hold the header tight to the head. Make sure the mechanic has the necessary tools to tighten the head bolts.

Hope this helps a couple of you.
I had the same ticking sound problem before, and I took it to the Dealer, the problem was a bad lifter and a worn cam, luckly under the warranty.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
^^^ Your comment/experience brings me to the next topic: the class action suit against Mercedes Benz for faulty engine components especifically bad materials used on the cams which causes quick wear of the cam. Have you read about it? This is what I was talking about https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ne-issues.html

A cam should last hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
To the OP,

It is amaizing that you actually have the skills and courage to find the answers yourself. Are we talking about the stock exhaust manifolds or atermarket headers?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM

2008 C63
Originally Posted by C63newdude
To the OP,

It is amaizing that you actually have the skills and courage to find the answers yourself. Are we talking about the stock exhaust manifolds or atermarket headers?
I had the problem with some shorty headers, and stock (but new) gaskets. Although I'm told the stock manifolds will stay on better, I can't really see the reason for it. Either way, the stock ones are on there now, so I'll keep you guys up to date if there are any issues in the future.

Once you take the car to the track, and you have a loose header, it gets much looser, and much louder very quickly. I have to give some props to North44 for helping me out spotting this.