C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Exclamation Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner

I decided to pull the trigger on a tune offered by a local SOCAL tuner. After the tune I noticed that the engine definetly made more power but at the expense of driveability. The tune seem to confuse the tranny functions. The timing of the part to half throttle downshift seemed to be hit and miss, but when it did downshift right before the upshift the engine shuttered and surged!. Most times on the street and freeway during part throttle acceleration I could clearly hear engine detonation... I emailed the tuner and stated the engine seemed lean and several other independent dyno pulls seemed to prove this. After several times having the car go into complete disabling "Limp Mode" while on the freeway I decided this tune had to go!!

I decided to have the car flashed back to stock. The dealer had trouble "forcing" it but after several attempts they thought it worked. The car still behaved erratically so I decided to send the ECU into MHP.

It appears that the stock tune did not take and the "local tuners" tune was still in the ECU, and in fact it was an EvoTech 105 race tune and not the local tuners 91 street tune. This is a tune that runs 31 degrees of timing and a leaner than most A/F ratio. Fine for race gas and track events but should not be sold as a street tune!! No wonder it ran lean and constantly detonated at part throttle on 91 pump fuel as indicated by the WOT A/F found on Run 009. This situation potentially made my engine a ticking detonating time bomb! Also the pads and board had been damaged due to over solderinging. I thought this was a simple upload....this is like a 1980's chip soldering!

In the coming weeks I will be sending the ECU back to MHP for the 93 octane tune and will post the comparison. I understand this information isnt track times but the dyno is a good tuning and measurement tool so to at least compare data.

All dyno sessions were conducted in 4th gear, at same dyno, operator, same time of day and weather and all with Mobil 91 fuel.

The dyno sheet is as follows;
Run 002 is completely stock
Run 009 is Evotech 105 tune(actually dyno graph reads a blip at the end, probably 5hp high)
Run 012 is MHP 91 Octane Tune

Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner-scan0003.jpg

Although the MHP 91 octane tune does not yield the additional power, it is not noticeable on the street..... the acceleration is now smooth and linear. Obviously the fuel and timing curves are well planned and the throttle body opening is quick and wide open! Part throttle dwnshifts are RIGHT NOW with no hesitation, surging or shutter at upshift. Trans shift smooth but firm and the engine no longer labors during low and part throttle street acceleration. I am extremely HAPPY with the MHP tune and look forward to trying the 93 tune.

I had the dyno operator do a pull in 5th gear(013) vs 4th gear and the results are as shown.

Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner-scan0004.jpg

BTW...here is the tune as it reads out with my VIN and EvoTech signature.

Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner-wddgf7hb2bf628109_tunedfile_oe.jpg

Last edited by sgtstanko; 09-24-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I am glad that your car runs good now. I also have MHP tune now but haven't dyno it nor taken it to the track but I can tell the difference. I am also running on 91oct, at elevation and we are still at 100 degrees temps.

It seems to me that the previous tune was peaky and lean in some areas. Do you have air filters yet?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Who was the "Local Tune"?

EDIT: Never mind I see you keep editing the post. This was the original text:
Run 009 is OE/Evotech 105 tune.
So this was an OE tune?

Is this an E55 or a C63? Your Drives says "E55"

Last edited by propain; 09-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:30 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I am glad that your car runs good now. I also have MHP tune now but haven't dyno it nor taken it to the track but I can tell the difference. I am also running on 91oct, at elevation and we are still at 100 degrees temps.

It seems to me that the previous tune was peaky and lean in some areas. Do you have air filters yet?

No filters yet. After the 93 tune test I will upgrade to ROW air box and filters.
Other tune was peaky and jerky....ran strong but detonation and limp mode was just wrong!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sgtstanko
No filters yet. After the 93 tune test I will upgrade to ROW air box and filters.
Other tune was peaky and jerky....ran strong but detonation and limp mode was just wrong!

Just like you said, it was a ticking bomb... Our engines have very high compression and with poor gas and the wrong conditions (heat, bad tune) it could cause some serious damage. Could you PM me with the source of ROW air boxes?, also what filters are you getting? I was thinking about the pipercross air filters but I also had K&N filters beore and I think that they made a difference.

Last edited by C63newdude; 09-24-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Who is the local Socal tuner?
I'm sure all of us would like to know, If you don't want to say it publicly please PM me.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Who is the local Socal tuner???!!
Run 009 is OE/Evotech 105 tune

Seems like it was OE before he edited. Smells like a witch hunt. LOL.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by propain
Seems like it was OE before he edited. Smells like a witch hunt. LOL.

Yes it does!!
Man I hate it when they beat around the bush why don't they just say who the tuner was!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Yes it does!!
Man I hate it when they beat around the bush why don't they just say who the tuner was!
I think because if they say MHP and a MBW sponsor in the same sentence they fear the thread will be pulled.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I think because if they say MHP and a MBW sponsor in the same sentence they fear the thread will be pulled.
Ahh I see.....
Seems like an odd reason for pulling down a thread.
Its definitely worth knowing though.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Ahh I see.....
Seems like an odd reason for pulling down a thread.
Its definitely worth knowing though.
Not odd at all...a lot of this is pretty much orchestrated by the OPs.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by bhamg
Not odd at all...a lot of this is pretty much orchestrated.
Ya think?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I think that is the matter of how sensitive and how discrete you want to be about it. Many people don't want to just bash a tuner and instead just prefer to move on and let the results speak for itself(driveability/reliability).. that is just my thoughts..
Old 09-24-2011, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Ya think?
It only takes a handful of people to turn this board into s**t.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
Not odd at all...a lot of this is pretty much orchestrated by the OPs.
Either way I would be curious to know who the tuner is.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Either way I would be curious to know who the tuner is.
We have no information to say the customer bought Powerchip software, I'm 99.9% sure it's not us involved.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Wow sgtstanko, you are very lucky your engine is still intact after running it with that original tune. Almost 14:1 AFR at redline on 91 octane...wow! What did the tuner say when you initially emailed him with the problems you were experiencing?

Was this tune the one done by Jeremy at OE Tuning that day I met you at his shop? If so, why is it referred to as an Evotech tune? I wasn't aware that OE Tuning sells Evotech tunes.

Last edited by xtyper; 09-24-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
OE uses a piggy back chip? I hope you got a refund...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Actually make that 100%, just read that the OP emailed the tuner and told them prior to posting so I van confirm with 100% certainty that it wasn't Powerchip.

The tune we gave been shipping for the last two years controls the air fuel ratios perfectly and we do not advance ignition at all on part throttle or full throttle for a 91 octane calibration
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by xtyper
Wow sgtstanko, you are very lucky your engine is still intact after running it with that original tune. Almost 14:1 AFR at redline on 91 octane...wow! What did the tuner say when you initially emailed him with the problems you were experiencing?

Was this tune the one done by Jeremy at OE Tuning that day I met you at his shop? If so, why is it referred to as an Evotech tune? I wasn't aware that OE Tuning sells Evotech tunes.
What other tuner is there in Socal besides OE Tuning? Plus you calim OP was getting his car tuned at OE so I cant think of any other tuners in that area, we just need conformation from him.

Could even be an Evotech tune.
Why would OE Tuning sell Evotech tunes though? Doesn't make sense.

Personally I am more then satisfied with the OE Tune, and never had a problem.

Last edited by _AMG_; 09-24-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, GLC63S
Yes it does!!
I know sgtstanko personally and he’s a great guy with allot of character. I’m sure He does not want to get in middle of tuning war. Let’s all please respect the guy for it.

sgtstanko, glad to hear your happy with the new tune.....
Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by 4ramin
I know sgtstanko personally and he’s a great guy with allot of character. I’m sure He does not want to get in middle of tuning war. Let’s all please respect the guy for it.

No one is saying hes a bad guy.
I asked him to PM the tuner if he does not want to say it publicly.
Would be nice if all of us can get a heads up though.

I understand if he doesn't want to get in the middle of a tuning war and I can respect that.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by xtyper

Hey Eric....yea I am disappointed to say the least. Limp mode at 65mph on freeways in SoCal is pretty scary!! Imagine your in the fast lane driving along and BOOOM no power....no accelerator!

The tuner said no way his A/F equipment could be off by that much.....well evidently it is. I will most likely pull the plugs and check them for detonation damage as well.

Here is the tune that was in my car....... has my VIN and EvoTechs signature.

Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner-wddgf7hb2bf628109_tunedfile_oe.jpg

Originally Posted by 4ramin

Thanks Ramin......this is only pure tune information. I am curious to try the 93 tune next.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
This doesn't add up. The text in the code shows the statement "BDM TO GO"

This us the text used by a tuner that is flashing in a tune that is locked and encrypted from another tuner

The ONLY way that text can be in a file is if a tuner is purchasing a locked file

Also in the text us a unique identification number that the company that makes the tuning equipment generates

The question that needs to be asked is "is the tuner that flashed the ECU an authorised reseller of Evotech"

I think it's something worth asking Evotech

We should remember that Evotech has dealers all over the world

The screenshot raises more questions than answers, I'm very suprized at what was posted
Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I dont know why you 63 guys use any other tuner besides MHP. His tunes have been proven and always dominate at the track. I wouldnt let that little ausse tune my lawnmower for more power!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Test MHP 91 vs Local Tuner