New here w/ questions on C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 996 Turbo, Audi S4, Yamaha R1
New here w/ questions on C63

Hi All,

Looking to trade in my 996 turbo for a new C63. Looking at all of the options and some quick research so far leaves me more lost... I'm not looking to track the car, just want something fast and plan on doing very minor mods (coilovers, air filters, exhaust). My questions are:

1. Is the P031 package worth it? Or should I save the money and just get the ECU flashed?
2. Should I go for the LSD option or get an aftermarket Quaiffe? If I go aftermarket what's the approximate price w/ install? Again, I'm not tracking the car so would the MB LSD be good enough?
3. If I don't go with the P031 package, is the rear CF spoiler available as an option?
4. When will European delivery be available? My local dealership said it's currently not available.
4. What are the other must haves?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Spoonito
Hi All,

Looking to trade in my 996 turbo for a new C63. Looking at all of the options and some quick research so far leaves me more lost... I'm not looking to track the car, just want something fast and plan on doing very minor mods (coilovers, air filters, exhaust). My questions are:

1. Is the P031 package worth it? Or should I save the money and just get the ECU flashed?
2. Should I go for the LSD option or get an aftermarket Quaiffe? If I go aftermarket what's the approximate price w/ install? Again, I'm not tracking the car so would the MB LSD be good enough?
3. If I don't go with the P031 package, is the rear CF spoiler available as an option?
4. When will European delivery be available? My local dealership said it's currently not available.
4. What are the other must haves?

1. Save your money and just get a tune.
2. Get an aftermarket LSD. Roughly 2k installed.
3. Depends on your location, most likely not.
4. No clue, Dealer makes zero money off you when you do European Delivery. That could be why they are saying that? I haven't heard its not available from anyone else.
5. LT headers, lots of tires.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:23 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
I was in the same boat and decided not to get the PP package, mostly because I hate the rims that they include, love the stock rims, and thought that I could eventually have it done by someone other than Mercedes, afterwards (however, it is a lease).

however, I have no idea how/who/where I get it done - can you offer any advice?

I do have a couple questions though:

a) will it void the warranty or anything silly like that?
b) if the dealership discovers the change, will they reset it?
c) how much does it cost (roughly)?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
2. Get an aftermarket LSD. Roughly 2k installed.
3. Depends on your location, most likely not.
4. No clue, Dealer makes zero money off you when you do European Delivery. That could be why they are saying that? I haven't heard its not available from anyone else.
5. LT headers, lots of tires.
I'm new here too and also considering ordering a C63. To me, the extra power and LSD you get in the peformance option is worth the cost to me because I know a won't have issues keeping full warranty. Lots of guys tune their M3s (the car I own now) and the warranty risk always scared me. I know a tune and after market LSD might save a couple of grand but that's a big cost, to me, to also worry about potential warranty issues.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by justpetef
I was in the same boat and decided not to get the PP package, mostly because I hate the rims that they include, love the stock rims, and thought that I could eventually have it done by someone other than Mercedes, afterwards (however, it is a lease).

however, I have no idea how/who/where I get it done - can you offer any advice?

I do have a couple questions though:

a) will it void the warranty or anything silly like that?
b) if the dealership discovers the change, will they reset it?
c) how much does it cost (roughly)?
I was under the impression you could still get the 18" wheels with the PP package (or at least I was told so). Also, if you tune the car and have an engine issue and it is found (and they can find them), then there is a very real risk the warranty is at risk... at least this was the case with BMW and I can't see why Merc would be different. Blow an engine or have a major issue with a tune and if they can link the tune to the issue (or even contend there is a link) they could deny the warranty. Rightly or wrongly, whether you could successfully fight it or not with a lawyer, not a position I would want to be in. Many guys do it anyway because the risk is likely very small.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM

C63
Originally Posted by gthal
I was under the impression you could still get the 18" wheels with the PP package (or at least I was told so). Also, if you tune the car and have an engine issue and it is found (and they can find them), then there is a very real risk the warranty is at risk... at least this was the case with BMW and I can't see why Merc would be different. Blow an engine or have a major issue with a tune and if they can link the tune to the issue (or even contend there is a link) they could deny the warranty. Rightly or wrongly, whether you could successfully fight it or not with a lawyer, not a position I would want to be in. Many guys do it anyway because the risk is likely very small.
hmm... good points. Thanks.

Would they really void the warranty on a lease though? I mean, after all - it's partly their car too. Sounds like a grey legal area - so you're probably right - not a position you'd want to be in.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
hmm... good points. Thanks.

Would they really void the warranty on a lease though? I mean, after all - it's partly their car too. Sounds like a grey legal area - so you're probably right - not a position you'd want to be in.
My bet would be yes and then they would charge you for diminished value on lease turn in (unless warranty had expired). I'm not an expert though so just my opinion.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I am not even sure if the shops can tell if you have a tune or not.. They would never check for it under normal circumstances.

Either way, I have a stock ECU I put it in (2 minutes) when the car goes to the dealer. I have a secondary ECU I bought and had that one tuned.

I think you can even order the LSD on its own now for around 2k?? I am pretty sure its a stand alone option now... Id check on that.

So basically if you get the secondary ECU and have it tuned. You will come out with about the same HP as the new Black Series (510Hp) vs 480hp with the PP for about the same $$$ and still have your stock ECU for warranty purposes.

For a tune I would suggest MHP or Renntech. I have Renntech now but am switching to MHP when I purchase there LT headers as the tune is tailored for them.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 PM

C63
I found the final, definitive answer as to whether I'll get an aftermarket ECU tune or not.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...d-highway.html
Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I think you are coming to the wrong decision. This throttle issue has occurred to people that have stock cars.
If you are going to track the car, P31 is probably not worth as you will go thru tires and rotors quickly. I would however get it tuned as this engine is proven to produce in standard MB form over 500hp.
I would not worry about LSD in the following sense: get the car you want (color and options). If the car you desire has LSD, then great, if not then have it installed.
I do not have an answer for the European delivery.
Headers and track tires and you are all set. You may want to consider after market oil coolant units if you are going to do a lot of track time in hot conditions.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

2009 C63 ///Amg
dont mean to highjack the thread but how do you get the lap timer to work?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM

C63
Originally Posted by emericr
I think you are coming to the wrong decision. This throttle issue has occurred to people that have stock cars.
a) I am not the OP

but

b) so - I dont' understand your statement - it's non-sequitor. Are you saying that further modified cars, apart from the ECU don't experience this problem? I don't know if that's an accurate statement -if so, what makes it so that you can modify the ECU, but not be subject to this? Or, are you just speculating?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I found the final, definitive answer as to whether I'll get an aftermarket ECU tune or not.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...d-highway.html

This is a problem not isolated to tuned cars. I have never experienced this (Tune and 48000km). The one thing all these people have in common is ESP ON. That's the only common denominator in this whole equation.

Ill say this though, I never drive with ESP on...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM

C63
This is a problem not isolated to tuned cars. I have never experienced this (Tune and 48000km). The one thing all these people have in common is ESP ON. That's the only common denominator in this whole equation.

Ill say this though, I never drive with ESP on...
Seems to me that the common denominator in that thread is those who have had a tune, perhaps by Eurotech, and are driving with ESP on or in sport. I didn't notice any reports of a stock car having experienced that - did you?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Seems to me that the common denominator in that thread is those who have had a tune, perhaps by Eurotech, and are driving with ESP on or in sport. I didn't notice any reports of a stock car having experienced that - did you?

I am not going to read it all again, but I am almost certain guys with stock cars experienced the problem as well.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM

C63
I am not going to read it all again, but I am almost certain guys with stock cars experienced the problem as well.
I went through the entire thread. No stock cars were affected. I was also hard pressed to find a car other than an 09 that was affected.

The majority also appear to have had their ECU tuned by Eurotech.

/edit

It appears there was a tuned 2010 affected as well.

Last edited by justpetef; 09-28-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
c63 w/p31 = tuned c63

I have a p31 and decided I wasnt going to really mod this car so I like that I dont have to worry about anything and warranty being voided. Has an LSD from factory as well.