C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Fair price for a used (non-CPO) '09?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda civic si
Fair price for a used (non-CPO) '09?

Hi all. I've been looking at upgrading to a real performance car for a while and have settled on the C63 as the ideal combo of performance and usability. I drove one this weekend and fell in love with it.

It was a 2009 in white with 49947 miles. The car wasn't at a Mercedes dealership, so it wasn't CPO. The paint and interior looked brand new, and it drove well (everything was tight, etc) but I didn't do a more thorough inspection than that. In addition to the miles, two things did give me slight pause -
(i)the tires were mismatched - (I think the rears were Conti's and the fronts were Potenzas?)
(ii)the plastic grill under the bumper was broken - it looked like a rock hit it
They were asking $41k, which I think is high. I guess it's a testament to how great a car this is that I even was thinking about it.

What do you think a fair price would be for this car? It did not have the AMG performance pack. There is a car at a large used car dealer here in town with the perf pack and less miles for slightly more.

Should I even consider this car considering the miles? Are there any concerns about these motors at this mileage? Should I hold out for a CPO car? I need to buy from a dealer b/c I'll end up having to finance part of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
lower plastic grill requires the bumper cover to be removed to replace. just fyi. no idea on price but I wouldn't own any german car (actually any newish car) without a warranty.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by JeffDL
lower plastic grill requires the bumper cover to be removed to replace. just fyi. no idea on price but I wouldn't own any german car (actually any newish car) without a warranty.
Agreed...a warranty is a must in this case as repairs can get VERY expensive. If you can wait just a little longer, prices will keep coming down. Try to find a CPO if possible.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Asking price is high but that's typical. So, if you like this car offer $36,500 and go from there.

Tires being mismatched is due to the fast rear tire wear that occurs with this car. What happens to many owners of these cars is they decide to replace all four tires at some point with a given brand and because the rears wear so much faster than the fronts, sometimes they just decide to try a different brand for the rears and if they like them, they end up switching the fronts to match the rears when the time comes.

Maybe look into buying an extended warranty with this car since is should still be just inside the 50,000 mile limit.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

2009 C63
Based on the searching I've done....you can find similar mileage cars that ARE warrantied by the CPO warranty for between $43-$44k....that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes for sure!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by dubaudi
Based on the searching I've done....you can find similar mileage cars that ARE warrantied by the CPO warranty for between $43-$44k....that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes for sure!
Similar mileage cars at that price would be overpriced. And I'm speaking about sale price, not asking price, because people are often way off with their asking price.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Honda civic si
It seems like the overwhelming consensus is to wait for a CPO car. I agree that makes the most sense. I'll do a search on the MB CPO program, but can anyone give me a highlights list of what's covered/not and what to look out for?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by durstgt
It seems like the overwhelming consensus is to wait for a CPO car. I agree that makes the most sense. I'll do a search on the MB CPO program, but can anyone give me a highlights list of what's covered/not and what to look out for?

Thanks.
It just gives you an extra year beyond the original warranty. And it increases the mileage for the warranty as well, but you're still more likely to be limited by the time portion of the warranty.

I will add that not all CPO inspections are real. Some dealerships do skimp on the inspection, and some will even not perform it and ask you at the time of sale if you want to buy the car with the inspection so that you can buy a car that is CPO. But, you are left wondering whether the car was actually inspected, because why would they do the lengthy inspection and not want to be reimbursed for their mechanics time spent "performing" the inspection.

Still, the CPO status is good and having an extended warranty is also an obvious plus.

Ask to see the report for the inspection.