C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

WTH..... "limp Mode"!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML63
WTH..... "limp Mode"!!!!!

Gotta 2011 c63. ECU and pulley done. Between 2nd and 3rd 80% throttle car goes into limp mode. (scary crap. had no place to pull over on the highway to restart the car).The tune i just had it done and they tried to retune it twice already and couldnt find a problem. Took it to the dealer and the computer read pedal sensor was bad. Anyone had similar problem??? was it the sensor or the tune???
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Do a search, there is a long thread about this. No one has been able to pinpoint the exact cause yet.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Does the driver display say ESP not available?

Other members have reported this problem and replacing the pedal sensor has been the reported fix for a few of them. The tune has been suspected in others. Try a search as there have been several threads reported on this issue. There is a table in the tune that compares the rate of air volume change reported by the MAFs to an expected range. If it goes outside of the range the tune will put the engine performance into limp mode. This is partially to prevent run away acceleration in the case of a defective pedal sensor. It may be possible for a tune to exceed this range and if the table has not been properly modified then limp mode is a possibility. It may also be a torque limit in the tune that is being exceeded.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by sebc63
Gotta 2011 c63. ECU and pulley done. Between 2nd and 3rd 80% throttle car goes into limp mode. (scary crap. had no place to pull over on the highway to restart the car).The tune i just had it done and they tried to retune it twice already and couldnt find a problem. Took it to the dealer and the computer read pedal sensor was bad. Anyone had similar problem??? was it the sensor or the tune???
Which tune are you running?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM

2015 ML63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Which tune are you running?
Evosport
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM

2015 ML63
Evosport
I did 5k miles stock, no problems... right after i tuned it the limp mode started. Brad from Evosport was helpfull and understanding in fixing this issue. They tried to redo the tune for me and the problem was still same. Now for 4 weeks I'm without the car and dont know what to do!!! The pedal sensor should come in tday. Hopefully that will fix it!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
i guess the Evosport tune needs the " little blue pill " to keep from going into " limp mode "
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Bad430Benz: lol, a little levity is always appreciated!

--

sebc63:

Again, we will do anything possible to assist.

As I explained to you, we have a clk63BS shop car that has suffered from this for 6 months and has been at the dealer now for 6+ weeks. 2 pedals, countless harnesses, new TB, etc. They eventually found that the ECU harness had some loose connectors INTERNAL somewhere, and they are replacing the can bus harness complete as best I can tell. Same situation, the car ran great stock, once modded the issue presented itself and the issue stayed even when the car was back to stock. Very frustrating.

There are a number of threads on this site and others with this issue, I wish Mercedes would do a better job of documenting and linking these problem cars so there was a database to pull from to repair them! As we talked yesterday, please let me know when and how we can assist!

Thanks
Brad
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM

2015 E350
Hey Brad and Seb. Pedal came in today. Installing it now. Like I told Seb I can only go what our computers are telling us what's wrong. We do have codes for it, so we're hoping this will be the fix for it.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
Bad430Benz: lol, a little levity is always appreciated!

--

sebc63:

Again, we will do anything possible to assist.

As I explained to you, we have a clk63BS shop car that has suffered from this for 6 months and has been at the dealer now for 6+ weeks. 2 pedals, countless harnesses, new TB, etc. They eventually found that the ECU harness had some loose connectors INTERNAL somewhere, and they are replacing the can bus harness complete as best I can tell. Same situation, the car ran great stock, once modded the issue presented itself and the issue stayed even when the car was back to stock. Very frustrating.

There are a number of threads on this site and others with this issue, I wish Mercedes would do a better job of documenting and linking these problem cars so there was a database to pull from to repair them! As we talked yesterday, please let me know when and how we can assist!

Thanks
Brad
with that title.........i had to
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Glad nothing serious happened.
I have heard of this same exact issue happening to other C63's running the Evosport (Powerchip) tune.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I guess I just don't understand that if tuning a car is basically obtaining the extra "hidden" horsepower that the engine already has, WHY ALL THE PROBLEMS? Why doesn't are there not any issues with stock P31 ECU tuning from the factory?

So far we have had issues with Powerchip/EvoSport, OE Tuning, but no issues with Kleeman, Renntech or MHP from what I read...
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Originally Posted by FixDaBenz
Hey Brad and Seb. Pedal came in today. Installing it now. Like I told Seb I can only go what our computers are telling us what's wrong. We do have codes for it, so we're hoping this will be the fix for it.
That makes three of us!

Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
with that title.........i had to
No doubt!

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Glad nothing serious happened.
I have heard of this same exact issue happening to other C63's running the Evosport (Powerchip) tune.
Really? Who? I would fully expect that ANYONE with this issue after buying a tune would contact the supplier. Please direct them to us immediately so we can help them to resolve this. There are a number of steps that need to be taken to help isolate!

So far we have had issues with Powerchip/EvoSport, OE Tuning, but no issues with Kleeman, Renntech or MHP from what I read...
Again, a simple search will show you that there ARE problems with stock cars (P31 and non). FYI, I know of a bunch of cars without tunes that have this issue (search the internet for the code and you can see many people with stock cars with this issue). Our shop CLK63 BS is 100% stock and has the issue. This issue seems at the root to be a Mercedes issue. As I stated above, the dealer has our completely stock CLK63 BS and has spent 6+ weeks working on the car. I believe that the tuning amplifies or exaggerates a problem that is already there on some cars, making it much more obvious. While it is certainly possible that any tune alone will do this, with all the stock cars having the issue as well, it seems logical that it is a bigger issue. Unfortunately, MBZ USA and the dealers are of the mindset to blame mods rather than address the root issue.

Thanks
Brad

Last edited by brad @ evosport; 10-11-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM

2015 E350
Pedal did not resolve the issue. Still giving same codes and going into limp mode. Hey brad can you PM me your contact info?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Again, a simple search will show you that there ARE problems with stock cars (P31 and non). FYI, I know of a bunch of cars without tunes that have this issue (search the internet for the code and you can see many people with stock cars with this issue). Our shop CLK63 BS is 100% stock and has the issue. This issue seems at the root to be a Mercedes issue. As I stated above, the dealer has our completely stock CLK63 BS and has spent 6+ weeks working on the car. I believe that the tuning amplifies or exaggerates a problem that is already there on some cars, making it much more obvious. While it is certainly possible that any tune alone will do this, with all the stock cars having the issue as well, it seems logical that it is a bigger issue. Unfortunately, MBZ USA and the dealers are of the mindset to blame mods rather than address the root issue.

Thanks
Brad
Why don't you guys try to lemon the car? Is it out of warranty?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Pedal did not resolve the issue. Still giving same codes and going into limp mode. Hey brad can you PM me your contact info?
What about purgve valve? Seems a lot of these cars need them to be replaced.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
done

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Why don't you guys try to lemon the car? Is it out of warranty?
We are not the original owner, not sure we can. The dealer claims to have found the issue though, so we will know this week.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
done

We are not the original owner, not sure we can. The dealer claims to have found the issue though, so we will know this week.
I can't really provide legal advice on the internet. But, I think if someone wanted to pursue a claim along the lines of lemon law, not being the original owner wouldn't be fatal.

I'm glad the dealer may have found the fix. That's ultimately the best result.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63

Really? Who? I would fully expect that ANYONE with this issue after buying a tune would contact the supplier. Please direct them to us immediately so we can help them to resolve this. There are a number of steps that need to be taken to help isolate!
Didnt Josh (C63guy) have this same problem?
Im not saying its only the Powerchip tune that causes this. Ive also heard the same issue regarding the Eurocharged tune as well.
Might even be an accelerator issue, who knows.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...d-highway.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/4032894-post13.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...what-hell.html
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
He did and does still to some extent. His tune is not Powerchip any longer though.

Thanks
Brad
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Do you have Powerchip software? We don't have any communication from Evosport about pedal problems on a 2011 C63 in the last two weeks.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Was this fixed?

What brand of software was fitted by Evosport?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
c63
Have the same issue with my car after a custom tune.
The car goes into limp mode once hit about 4k rpm.
Went into diagnostic and it was due to more than 3% variance between the 2 openings of the throttle body.
As the C63 has 2 openings in the throttle body, it is control by 1 pedal. So its either the throttle body can't sync the opening properly or the pedal is sending unequal signals to the throttle body...at least this was what i was told.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
This happened to my ML63 with a Powerchip tune. Launder the car with pedal to the floor and went into limp mode. Powerchip software was removed and has never happened since with my Weistec, Brabus or Vath tunes.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 AM

C63
I was talking to a few of the AMG guys from the driving courses, who have been running the stock cars hard on tracks for 5+ years, and they have never, ever, seen this happen. It seems to be a direct result of the tunes from certain vendors, plain and simple.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTH..... "limp Mode"!!!!!