Suggestion for Board Admins - Member input welcomed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 Sedan
Suggestion for Board Admins - Member input welcomed

Hey guys -

So I introduced myself a while ago - I'm new to MB having been a BMW owner for the last 14 years and having owned 6 different ones. My first Bimmer was a '97 540/6 and I was very active on the roadfly forum which had an excellent community for the e39. Lots of gearheads and a tremendous amount of DIY information.

I realize it was almost 15 years ago, the cars were simpler, hence easier for guys to work on em etc. etc....but there was really a phenomenal amount of DIY info / tips etc. there.

One thing I've noticed that is kind of lacking here is a large amount of DIY stuff with pics. Perhaps it doesn't exist as these cars are more complicated, and many are still under warranty so folks haven't really ventured deeply into DIY territory - or if it does, its just out there on the broader forum requiring repeated searches.

I have a humble suggestion which is the following:

Why don't the mods / admins create a Sticky c63 specific DIY thread with the following features:

1. Central repository for all existing member submitted DIY threads
2. Some kind of mechanism for members to submit / upload new DIY threads

I hope this suggestion doesn't rub anyone the wrong way - just an observation...especially as these cars get older and out of warranty and members start tinkering / doing routine maintenance more themselves, etc...and even for the small mods / tweaks - I think it would be great if all that info was readily available for new members.

Just an example - I'm repeatedly having code P0171 (bank 1 lean) and am pretty sure its the intake manifold gasket - but can't find any pics of how to replace it, or even what needs to be taken apart to get to it - I'm pretty handy so if I had instructions, I could probably tackle it.

Regardless - I hope you see the broader value of having such a link / thread.

Thanks
Imran
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
NP with your suggestions. Your signup date shows 7 years ago with 20+ posts. Stickys are created once enough content has been created that is deemed valuable by the membership. It also entails contribution by the membership.
Therefore a request such as yours is given the value and attention it deserves.

Do you have any specific threads in mind?
Do you have any contribution you would like to add?
Are you willing to help compile?
Etc.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
NP with your suggestions. Your signup date shows 7 years ago with 20+ posts. Stickys are created once enough content has been created that is deemed valuable by the membership. It also entails contribution by the membership.
Therefore a request such as yours is given the value and attention it deserves.

Do you have any specific threads in mind?
Do you have any contribution you would like to add?
Are you willing to help compile?
Etc.
Main reason for the long join date with no posts is that I bought a MB for my parents years ago and was asking some questions back then.

I hear you on the content argument, however, have a slightly different take on it - with respect to DIY info, especially as I pointed out previously - with these cars just now coming off warranty and folks starting to (a) encounter more issues and (b) start tinkering with them more - a DIY sticky - while initially perhaps sparsely populated, will nevertheless grow as a natural function of time.

I am certainly willing to do some research and suggest relevant threads that should be part of a DIY / Tips-N-Trick section.

Finally I just blacked out my grill and emblems so will be doing a short write up on that - this is a classic example - lots of members have used plasti-dip to do their emblems and grills - with several posts about procedures etc....didn't really find any with pics tho - point being - there's quite a bit of knowledge already on the forums about small stuff like this as well as other tips - so it would be good to have it in an easily accessible place.

Regarding compilation, what do you suggest for myself and others who are interested in spending some time doing it - should we just email / msg you the links?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
When you start you can email, discuss it with the moderators listed in the bottom right of this top page