C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Excessive rear brake dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Question Excessive rear brake dust

Anyone else get a lot of brake dust on rear wheels. I read on here somewhere that there was a recall on 08 cars but mine is a 2010. After one drive I have a lot of build up of brake dust on rear wheels and none on the front wheels. I don't use the brakes hard and usually use the gears to slow down. Is this normal?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:31 PM

2017 AMG C43
Excessive rear brake dust-p1010141.jpg

Excessive rear brake dust-p1010142.jpg
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
You sure it is brake dust?? Seems to be very big particles, and the way it is appearing in clumps is weird - brake dust in my experience is usually very fine and gets all over the rims like a fine powder. If your brake pads were producing this size stuff I reckon there would be obvious signs of wear, but then you say you are not braking that hard and even then it is supposed to be the fronts that wear quicker than the rears.
Going to go out on a bit of limb here, just wondering whether your tyres might be scraping the rear guards and this stuff on your wheels is in fact small bits of rubber/road dirt ending up on your wheels? Are you running oversize rears/lowered suspension? Any signs of wear on the tyre edge, any scuff marks under the guards??
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Yup, looks like rubber. Possibly rear tires rubbing or you are burning a lot of rubber! ESP off often? :-)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM

2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by JimmyR
You sure it is brake dust?? Seems to be very big particles, and the way it is appearing in clumps is weird - brake dust in my experience is usually very fine and gets all over the rims like a fine powder. If your brake pads were producing this size stuff I reckon there would be obvious signs of wear, but then you say you are not braking that hard and even then it is supposed to be the fronts that wear quicker than the rears.
Going to go out on a bit of limb here, just wondering whether your tyres might be scraping the rear guards and this stuff on your wheels is in fact small bits of rubber/road dirt ending up on your wheels? Are you running oversize rears/lowered suspension? Any signs of wear on the tyre edge, any scuff marks under the guards??
Thanks Jimmy your right. I should of known as I had 3 other people in the car on the weekend and when I went over big dips in the road the rear scrapes slightly. There isn't any visible marks on the tire. I'm running 285 25 20 on the back and lowered on coilovers, normally I don't have any issues when im driving alone.