Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS:

Got a little deep scratch on my car today while driving and Im looking for recommendations on where to take the car to get repaired.
Can this be done by a mobile guy or would it be best to take it to a body shop?
I know its not a crazy scratch but would just liked to get it repaired.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
C'mon guys, help a brotha out. lol
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I'm thinking Dr. Colorchip to fill it, then compound and wax to polish off and seal would be your best bet.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Sorry about the scar, sucks when this happens.

From my experience, a decent detailer/touchup guy can make that look decent and not too noticeable. But if you want it "perfect" it will have to be resprayed.
However, silver is a total biach to get matched on a respray, after two TiAG BMWs I stay away from silver metallic for this reason. Frankly, all metallic paints are hard to match perfectly due to the metal flakes not landing exactly the same as factory--just depends how **** you are. Personally, I'd just have it touched up by a pro and buffed out

GL man!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Agreed with CLK. If it catches your nail when "claw" against it, then it needs to be resprayed. Touchup will still be noticable. Just depends on how "an*l" you are.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Sorry.....Geeeez how did it happen?? It's inevtible though when you drive a car and use a car. If you only knew the kind of crap flying at you on the freeway!

You can also mask around it, clean the area with alcohol, mix touch-up and thinner, apply several dabs into the gap over drying intervals, add thinner to the sides very carefully with a sable brush, then buff it out. Its a cheaper and reasonable alternative. You have to have patience and a steady hand...

Sorry Carl.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Thanks for all the suggestion guys, I'm probably gonna fill in the scratch as its pretty deep.
Im assuming just that one small section would have to be re-sprayed?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
Agreed with CLK. If it catches your nail when "claw" against it, then it needs to be resprayed. Touchup will still be noticable. Just depends on how "an*l" you are.
Ya, it catches my nail.
I think im gonna take it to a body shop to have it repaired lets hope they don't charge alot for such a little scratch.

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Sorry.....Geeeez how did it happen?? It's inevtible though when you drive a car and use a car. If you only knew the kind of crap flying at you on the freeway!

You can also mask around it, clean the area with alcohol, mix touch-up and thinner, apply several dabs into the gap over drying intervals, add thinner to the sides very carefully with a sable brush, then buff it out. Its a cheaper and reasonable alternative. You have to have patience and a steady hand...

Sorry Carl.
Zephyr, how you been brotha?

A piece of metal flew off a guys truck, and I tried to dodge it by moving left, then I heard a loud thud and I knew something got messed up. I guess its bound to happen one way or another. lol

I have the Dr. Colorchip but I would feel more comfortable taking it to a body shop.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by BK63amg
I'm thinking Dr. Colorchip to fill it, then compound and wax to polish off and seal would be your best bet.
I like using Dr. Colorchip on little chips here and there, I don't like using it on long scratches though.

Originally Posted by black-clk500
Sorry about the scar, sucks when this happens.

From my experience, a decent detailer/touchup guy can make that look decent and not too noticeable. But if you want it "perfect" it will have to be resprayed.
However, silver is a total biach to get matched on a respray, after two TiAG BMWs I stay away from silver metallic for this reason. Frankly, all metallic paints are hard to match perfectly due to the metal flakes not landing exactly the same as factory--just depends how **** you are. Personally, I'd just have it touched up by a pro and buffed out

GL man!
Thanks man,
I don't need it to be 100% perfect but I would like it to be at least 90%-95% less noticeable.
I know I'm gonna have a hard time matching the silver, but hopefully an experienced body shop could do the job.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Ya, it catches my nail.
I think im gonna take it to a body shop to have it repaired lets hope they don't charge alot for such a little scratch.

Zephyr, how you been brotha?

A piece of metal flew off a guys truck, and I tried to dodge it by moving left, then I heard a loud thud and I knew something got messed up. I guess its bound to happen one way or another. lol

I have the Dr. Colorchip but I would feel more comfortable taking it to a body shop.
Been good my man Carl. Just got a light smoke tint done to the beast (35%) and looking next to a diffuser.
You need to tint when you get a chance. Not a black limo gangsta tint but a light smoke really looks good!!!

Sorry again about the side gouge. Seriously though, I would start with just dabbing some touch up and fade out with thinner and buff, see where it takes you. Then you can always go to a pro shop and they can do their thing if needed. I had a deep gouge and did a great job with just some touch up, thinner, horse hair brush and buffing.
Keep us posted bro....
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Seriously though, I would start with just dabbing some touch up and fade out with thinner and buff, see where it takes you. Then you can always go to a pro shop and they can do their thing if needed. I had a deep gouge and did a great job with just some touch up, thinner, horse hair brush and buffing.
Keep us posted bro....
^^^this
If you don't have the desire to do it yourself ask your dealer who does their touch up work and have them try first. If you don't like it, then you can always have it sprayed--just word of caution that a respray COULD end up bothering you more. I had to have one of my silver BMWs painted after it was keyed and it looked great to 99% of the people, but when I looked up close during detailing it, I could always see the difference in the paint fleck, just the slightest bit and the shop is one of the best in the area, it's just the nature of the beast on metallic paints. My additional .02.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Right again CLK! What is even worse is trying to match any 3-stage pearlescent white. Good luck _AMG_!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Been good my man Carl. Just got a light smoke tint done to the beast (35%) and looking next to a diffuser.
You need to tint when you get a chance. Not a black limo gangsta tint but a light smoke really looks good!!!

Sorry again about the side gouge. Seriously though, I would start with just dabbing some touch up and fade out with thinner and buff, see where it takes you. Then you can always go to a pro shop and they can do their thing if needed. I had a deep gouge and did a great job with just some touch up, thinner, horse hair brush and buffing.
Keep us posted bro....
Very nice! Post some pics of the beast, would love to see it with the tints.

So far I went to 2 body shops and they both quoted me the same price +/- $100. Basically what they had to do was paint both since doors due to paint matching. They quoted me around $700-$800 which I am not prepared to due since its not a crazy scratch to begin with.
So I decided to take it upon myself to repair it.
Stopped by the dealer and picked up some touch up paint w/ clear coat and some 2000 grit sand paper from Autozone.

Gonna go home after work and see what I can do, hopefully it wont be too noticeable after I get done with it.

Originally Posted by black-clk500
^^^this
If you don't have the desire to do it yourself ask your dealer who does their touch up work and have them try first. If you don't like it, then you can always have it sprayed--just word of caution that a respray COULD end up bothering you more. I had to have one of my silver BMWs painted after it was keyed and it looked great to 99% of the people, but when I looked up close during detailing it, I could always see the difference in the paint fleck, just the slightest bit and the shop is one of the best in the area, it's just the nature of the beast on metallic paints. My additional .02.
Thanks for the input man, much appreciated.

I would hate to spend alot of money for the respray, and not be satisfied with the work.
I already bought some touch up paint and gonna try to repair it myself.

Originally Posted by Sincity
Right again CLK! What is even worse is trying to match any 3-stage pearlescent white. Good luck _AMG_!
Thanks Sincity.
Good thing I don't have pearlescent paint. lol
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm going to post pics soon. Nothing special though LOL .
Before you start sanding away, just becareful. I'd just use a very sharp tipped paint brush or a tooth pick and just dab paint and let it fit the gouge. Then after really dry, brush over it with some thinner to smooth and blend it. Just go slow and becareful!!!! PM me if you any immediate tech support....
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I'm going to post pics soon. Nothing special though LOL .
Before you start sanding away, just becareful. I'd just use a very sharp tipped paint brush or a tooth pick and just dab paint and let it fit the gouge. Then after really dry, brush over it with some thinner to smooth and blend it. Just go slow and becareful!!!! PM me if you any immediate tech support....
Awesome! I really appreciate the help brotha!

So after it dries alot I apply thinner over it right?
Any specific type of thinner? (Lacquer thinner, paint thinner etc.)
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
this may sound kind of stupid but i would rather have something like that happen to the body than hit the lip of my wheels . i had something similar happen to another set of wheels and i felt like crying .
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
this may sound kind of stupid but i would rather have something like that happen to the body than hit the lip of my wheels . i had something similar happen to another set of wheels and i felt like crying .
Body and paint damage equally hurt the same to me. lol
I have a few very light scratches here and there which I really don't care for but deep scratches like the one I got yesterday annoy me.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go to a hobby or craft store and get a tiny bottle of that Testors model paint thinner or Enamel Thinner. Comes in a tiny bottle so it limits your usage. With a small square soft brush, brush over it a couple times to blend into surrounding paint margins. Just a quick long stroke, and let air dry between. This is after you have filled it with enough touch up paint dabs.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Try langka before you start sanding....
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM

2016 G550
Ugh man, sorry. Scratches like that drive me nuts!

Had a terrible one on my last car which was black, I did a little touch up with Dr. Colorchip - at least it makes the scratch the same color of your car so it inst so noticeable.

Call Sean who did your mobile PDR about a guy who does mobile bumper repair.
Supposedly this guy will come out to your spot and re-spray right there for a fraction of what a body shop would... I haven't used him but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM

2 S 55 AMG
I'm in the bodywork business for over 15 yrs now, touch up wouldn't be such a bad idea but if you plan on getting it resprayed....based on the location of that scratch, any good body shop will be able to color blend that nick for you without having to blend the rear door. Make sure you give them a sample (gas filler cover if possible) so they can match the color via paint code plus do a visual of the sample because you'll need the best color match possible to blend it so close to the rear door in order not to blend the rear door. Silver is not an easy color to blend depending on how much metallic it has in it, but your's can be done without having to blend the rear door. good luck.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Go to a hobby or craft store and get a tiny bottle of that Testors model paint thinner or Enamel Thinner. Comes in a tiny bottle so it limits your usage. With a small square soft brush, brush over it a couple times to blend into surrounding paint margins. Just a quick long stroke, and let air dry between. This is after you have filled it with enough touch up paint dabs.
Had some thinner at my work, I'm gonna follow your instructions after I dabbed enough touch up paint.

Originally Posted by Even Money
Try langka before you start sanding....
Ive heard good things about Langka, but I already have Dr. Colorchip which is pretty similar. I like using that for rock chips.

Originally Posted by enochroot
Ugh man, sorry. Scratches like that drive me nuts!

Had a terrible one on my last car which was black, I did a little touch up with Dr. Colorchip - at least it makes the scratch the same color of your car so it inst so noticeable.

Call Sean who did your mobile PDR about a guy who does mobile bumper repair.
Supposedly this guy will come out to your spot and re-spray right there for a fraction of what a body shop would... I haven't used him but it's worth a shot.
Tell me about it man! Its pretty annoying. lol
I look at the bright side though, it could've been worse.

I'm already filling in the scratch as we speak. If by any chance the door gets more damage (I really hope not) I'll give Sean a call.

Originally Posted by ExoticToysNyC
I'm in the bodywork business for over 15 yrs now, touch up wouldn't be such a bad idea but if you plan on getting it resprayed....based on the location of that scratch, any good body shop will be able to color blend that nick for you without having to blend the rear door. Make sure you give them a sample (gas filler cover if possible) so they can match the color via paint code plus do a visual of the sample because you'll need the best color match possible to blend it so close to the rear door in order not to blend the rear door. Silver is not an easy color to blend depending on how much metallic it has in it, but your's can be done without having to blend the rear door. good luck.
Thanks for the input.
I'm jut going with the touch up method for now.
When I was doing some paint work on my other car I gave a reputable body shop my gas tank cover and they matched the paint perfectly.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM

2 S 55 AMG
Yes giving a sample is always your best bet of getting your color matched and also cost lower...less panel they have to blend. For (ex) paint code NY could have 6 different variances...get the wrong variance and you're screwed trying to match that color. You should be fine with a touch up...unless it starts to bug you because you'll always be looking at it because just you know it's there. LOL I've had customers drive me crazy cause they knew it was there.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM

2 S 55 AMG
Not trying to say anything bad what-so-ever about who does what. Cleer/paint/primer all have their own air dry time and then there's the real time, which alot of customers is not aware of. When your color/sheen fades in a few mthz it's because of this process. For example the cleer I use take 3 days to properly cure(even after baking) before I can rightfully water sand/buff that cleer.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Ok guys just got done touching it up. Yes, its still noticable but its not as bad as before.
Here are some pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS: